Canadian schools

InquilineKea

Question

How competitive are they compared to U.S. schools? Do they guarantee full funding like the U.S. schools in the physical sciences? If your strongest credential is your PGRE score, then will you be disadvantaged in the process? (since Canadian universities weigh the PGRE less).

7 answers to this question

Do they guarantee full funding like the U.S. schools in the physical sciences?

YES

I think most if not all canadian schools guarantee full funding for both master and PhD students especially in the sciences.

Wait, even master's programs? For international students? Could those be used as reliable safety programs when you can't pay your way through a master's program?

Is master's admissions even distinct from PhD admissions?

I suggest you research programs, because it's very difficult to give a general answer when Canadian schools vary so widely. MA funding depends on the school and program, while Ph.D programs are generally guaranteed funding.

It depends on the school and the department. I was recently offered early admission to the University of Alberta for their East Asian Studies MA, and I'm guaranteed full funding.

In Canada, Master's programs tend to be completely separate from PhDs. In may cases, you're expected to have a Master's (or be in the process of completion) before you apply for a PhD.

Yes, there tends to be great funding (except for the rare place like U of Saskatchewan, which instead offers cheap tuition). In some cases, Internationals get the same deal as Canadians; in others there is an International tuition differential (which may or may not get waived).

I don't know about sciences, but admissions can certainly be competitive, depending on where you apply to. Canada has a full range of schools, ranging from world-class to tiny. Those that might be the easiest in terms of being 'safety schools' might not be the ones looking to attract international talent, and thus may not offer the full differential waivers.