My Chances into Stanford

ABJ

Hey,

I am a senior at a top 10 ranked university in Computer Science

What are my chances into Stanford MSCS?

I will be really blunt:

My GPA: 3.34 (Major: 3.43)

GRE: Q:800 + V:630

Research: Plenty! will be publishing 3 conference papers in next 5-6months, and an undergraduate thesis. I have also co-authored a provisional patent with a professor.

Recommendation letters: 1) Research advisor, an associate professor. 2) A distinguished professor in 3) PhD student

All this is OK. Not that great. However, here is the big deal. I met with a professor from Stanford in a conference, I talked to him about my research. The talk lasted for 30-40 minutes. I explained all that I have done and the people I have been working with. Next day, he wrote an email to the CS admissions telling them that he was impressed with my research and that in HIS opinion I should be a guaranteed admit. I know of this because he CCed me on the email.

The professor also happens to be in the same field of computer science as me. And if i attend Stanford I will be taking lot of his classes.

Now he doesnt know anything else about my application, mostly my low GPA. How much should I read into his email. What do you think my chances are without the email and with the email.

Edited by ABJ

I think his recommendation will count A LOT and I wont be surprised if you get an admission to MSCS stanford... Besides, your GPA is not low enough to exclude you from anywhere.. It's not stellar.. but who cares, as long as you can produce great researches.. Again.. your GPA is not abysmal ..

If you want to pursue research, why dont you go for a PhD instead? You've impressed a Stanford prof, I think he can get you in .. and that'd be awesome!

I think his recommendation will count A LOT and I wont be surprised if you get an admission to MSCS stanford... Besides, your GPA is not low enough to exclude you from anywhere.. It's not stellar.. but who cares, as long as you can produce great researches.. Again.. your GPA is not abysmal ..

If you want to pursue research, why dont you go for a PhD instead? You've impressed a Stanford prof, I think he can get you in .. and that'd be awesome!

Thanks!

I like research but but dont know if i have what it takes to do a PhD.

Thanks!

I like research but but dont know if i have what it takes to do a PhD.

Hey my 2 cents,

You have what it takes to do quite a bit of research as an undergrad. An opportunity not many get and even fewer have the willpower to see it through. So i think you have what it takes to see it through. why don't you reconsider?

Thanks everyone for their input.

I have had discussions with many people including current PhDs and professors.

PhD is about 5-7 year commitment. PhD is designed to prepare you for a career in academics.

Yes PhD is funded and involves research but it also includes other boring aspects of research like writing papers, grants, orals, and defense.

I wish to have a future in corporate world especially in sillicon valley. i think my research experience will help me get a better understanding of that environment.

I have researched for just 18 months, it isnt long when compared to 6 years of PhD.

Hence I chose MS.

Edited by ABJ

Thanks everyone for their input.

I have had discussions with many people including current PhDs and professors.

PhD is about 5-7 year commitment. PhD is designed to prepare you for a career in academics.

Yes PhD is funded and involves research but it also includes other boring aspects of research like writing papers, grants, orals, and defense.

I wish to have a future in corporate world especially in sillicon valley. i think my research experience will help me get a better understanding of that environment.

I have researched for just 18 months, it isnt long when compared to 6 years of PhD.

Hence I chose MS.

A solid decision is one you can reason out and stand by. Good Luck for M.S. admissions. :D

cheers