MDiv Chances

Thanks4Downvoting

Currently Attending: Flagship State University

GPA: 4.0 (Major complete, including Thesis), graduate-level coursework

Major: Religious Studies - Honors, Chancellor's Honors Program (Honors College)

Minor: History

GRE: 690V/690Q

Language Proficiencies: Classical Latin, Medieval Latin

Research: Honors thesis on the Kirchenkampf, the Reich Church, and Christian Anti-Judaism; 30 pages of research on Christian Realism and American Imperialism

Interests: Postcolonial hermeneutics, Reformation Studies, and Niebuhrian Christian realism

Extracurriculars: Fraternity President, Founding Father, Secretary, National Governing Council (3 undergrads in the entire nation), Greek Week Chairman, Historian's assistant, Director of Curriculum - Interdenominational Bible Study, Secretary for Honors Society, Religious Studies Association

Honor Societies: Mortar Board, Eta Sigma Phi (Classics), and Order of Omega

Ministry Experience: Summer as youth intern, where the youth minister left and I took on a majority of responsibilities, acting as a sort of interim youth minister (covered in SoP)

LoRs: Strong: 3 classes from Professor who got his MDiv at Yale, Graduate-level work with a Reformation scholar who has connections at HDS and was impressed with me be able to bear the workload of his grad class

Denomination: CBF (I get to choose my MDiv program, not really much oversight)

SoPs: reviewed by professors, solid.

I'm applying to the following: HDS, YDS, Candler, Union, Vandy, Andover Newton,

So, what're my chances? Any idea on the admit rates for some of these schools (I'm getting wide variation in numbers from various sources)?

Any input appreciated for a hopeful applicant.

Research: Honors thesis on the Kirchenkampf, the Reich Church, and Christian Anti-Judaism; 30 pages of research on Christian Realism and American Imperialism

Interests: Postcolonial hermeneutics, Reformation Studies, and Niebuhrian Christian realism

Extracurriculars: Fraternity President, Founding Father, Secretary, National Governing Council (3 undergrads in the entire nation), Greek Week Chairman, Historian's assistant, Director of Curriculum - Interdenominational Bible Study, Secretary for Honors Society, Religious Studies Association

Ministry Experience: Summer as youth intern, where the youth minister left and I took on a majority of responsibilities, acting as a sort of interim youth minister (covered in SoP)

LoRs: Strong: 3 classes from Professor who got his MDiv at Yale, Graduate-level work with a Reformation scholar who has connections at HDS and was impressed with me be able to bear the workload of his grad class

So, what're my chances? Any idea on the admit rates for some of these schools (I'm getting wide variation in numbers from various sources)?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get into those schools. I got into a few of those listed and my stats were slightly lower.

Also, I think a couple of those schools admit around 50% for an MDiv degree, slightly higher than something like an MTS or MA.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get into those schools. I got into a few of those listed and my stats were slightly lower.

Also, I think a couple of those schools admit around 50% for an MDiv degree, slightly higher than something like an MTS or MA.

Thanks for the info. How do you like BC?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new here. Sounds like you're fine on the academic end, though M.Div programs aren't exactly the most academically rigorous. Admissions people will want to see that you aren't some soulless, academic automaton -- play up some service activities on your resume or CV. Demonstrate that you're a human being that will somehow, someway, contribute to the greater discussion/advancement of the church -- be it through teaching, preaching, pastoral care, etc. But honestly, it's a crap shoot. I think you're fine. Chill.