Temple?

Did anyone apply to Temple? I put my list of programs together over the summer, and saw that Temple listed an application deadline of 1/15. I just went to start filling it out (I had initially cut the program, but was encouraged to add it again by one of my thesis readers, who is a Temple alum). As I was clicking away, I noticed something odd. Temple has TWO English PhD info sites, and they list two different application deadlines.

http://www.temple.edu/english/Grad/GradAdmissions.asp

http://www.temple.edu/gradbulletin/cla/english_phd.htm

The first link is the one I saw over the summer, which clearly gives a deadline of 1/15. The second link it the one that I found while filling out the app, which has a deadline of 12/15. Does this seem odd to anyone else? I'm not too fussed about it, as I was only looking at the program as a backup/at the suggestion of a professor, but how can they list two different deadlines on University pages?

Well isn't this troubling! Have you emailed them? It looks like both sites are "up to date" (both have "2010" at the bottom of the page). Perhaps the 12/15 date is a typo? The January 15 deadline is written out... but that's all I can come up with! I'd say email them, asap (certainly before you give them application fees!)

You should definitely contact them, but as a rule I usually trust English department's websites over Graduate School websites. Though every university has different protocols, some emphasizing the Graduate School while others handle it all in the department. Which is why you have to contact them.

Edited by woolfie

I'll second Woolfie - the English dpt. site will contain the most accurate info on almost every occasion. That said, DO contact them; they should know about this discrepancy. Pretty much no committee is going to actually look at applications until the start of the Spring semester (ie, around January 15th), so I see no reason they would have an excuse not to accept your application, even if they do happen to prefer the Dec 15 date for some reason. Good luck!

For anyone else who is/was interested in Temple, I heard back from the English secretary. The deadline is January 15th.

I've just spotted another December 15 deadline (and I swear 2 months ago that it read "January 15").

http://www.temple.edu/english/grad/apply.html

Thanks for reporting back. I guess Temple is rather infamous for this sort of thing.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else get into Temple? I just checked my online status and it was an admit! I'm freaked out still because I know nothing about funding and have heard that temple tends to screw people on that. But after a year of 0 for 12, I'm thrilled I made it in somewhere (especially on a day when I didn't get the Loyola- my first choice- emails).

Anyone else get into Temple? I just checked my online status and it was an admit! I'm freaked out still because I know nothing about funding and have heard that temple tends to screw people on that. But after a year of 0 for 12, I'm thrilled I made it in somewhere (especially on a day when I didn't get the Loyola- my first choice- emails).

Didn't apply there, but Congrats!

Hey, how did you check online? Through the banner system? I'm not finding that info on my app... Thanks!

Hi Wuironi,

I logged in at https://tuportal3.temple.edu/ using the information given to me in my confirmation e-mail. If you go to "Apply for Admission" and click on your submitted app, a decision should (hopefully) be up. I also got a letter through the mail on Monday confirming this (though with no concrete funding information). Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

So... just thought I would throw this out there. I just heard from Temple that I am accepted, but the first round of funding offers has gone out and I am not in it. The wording of the email, however, makes it sounds as though I have a good chance of being offered funding once they hear from their first round of people.

What complicates the issue, however, is that I have another offer with full funding from another university who wants me to let them know if I will take it by March 18th. Obviously this is a FANTASTIC predicament to be in and I'm kind of shocked (in a good way) that it is all starting to happen. BUT, I have been interested in Temple for a long time and am reluctant to pass up a potential opportunity to go there just because of conflicting deadlines. Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone decided to reject an offer from Temple? Obviously its a big decision and everyone should take their time making it, I just thought I would put out my antennae and get a feel for what is going on :)

So... just thought I would throw this out there. I just heard from Temple that I am accepted, but the first round of funding offers has gone out and I am not in it. The wording of the email, however, makes it sounds as though I have a good chance of being offered funding once they hear from their first round of people.

What complicates the issue, however, is that I have another offer with full funding from another university who wants me to let them know if I will take it by March 18th. Obviously this is a FANTASTIC predicament to be in and I'm kind of shocked (in a good way) that it is all starting to happen. BUT, I have been interested in Temple for a long time and am reluctant to pass up a potential opportunity to go there just because of conflicting deadlines. Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone decided to reject an offer from Temple? Obviously its a big decision and everyone should take their time making it, I just thought I would put out my antennae and get a feel for what is going on :)

This may complicate your decision more, but I was offered funding from Temple and am 99% sure I will decline. If I decide to do so, I will try to do it sooner rather than later. (I understand the anxiety of waiting for others to make decisions; although I've received another funded offer, I'm also first on the wait list at my top choice of schools, so I'm hoping someone else will decline there soon!) I imagine schools are being flooded with emails, but you might email Temple to find out where you are on the waiting list for funding. Best of luck to you.

I got into Temple with funding and am pretty sure I'll be declining. But I don't want to officially say no until I've visited Tufts next week and made sure everything seems okay. Don't know if that helps you much on timing, though, sorry! Also, I don't know anything about your other offer, but if the school is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools, I believe they are required to not force a decision from you until April 15th. I don't know if it applies to you, but you might want to look into it: http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS_Resolution.PDF

That link was very helpful! If I don't hear from Temple before the 18th about funding I will definitely consider politely requesting a bit more time from the other university as they are indeed part of the CGS.

Oh good, I hope it helps! This process is stressful enough without schools trying to force earlier deadlines.

• 3 weeks later...