Colorado School of Mines-Geological Engineering Program/Any Geologists or Geological Engineers out there?

paigeski

I just submitted my application for Colorado School of Mines Geological Engineering program, when should I expect to hear back? Thanks!!

Also, are there any other Geology, Geotechnical or Geological Engineering ppl out there? :)

Edited by paigeski

Hello fellow geologist! I don't know the answer to your first question (although I imagine you might start hearing back in late Feb/early March? maybe?), but there are a handful of us who hang out over at the Earth Sci subforum: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/86-earth-sciences/

.....Okay, it's a very small handful, but still!

Oh hey, a real solid-earth-tectonics-structural geology person! (You're interested in, like, erm, rocks ... and stuff, right?) Anyhow, welcome, paige! Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you (and katerific already plugged the Earth Science subforum), but you could probably shoot off an email to the department secretary. They usually won't mind if you inquire about applications. At least, my questions have always gotten fairly prompt responses (within a few days) from the geoscience admissions coordinators. Good luck!

I just submitted my application for Colorado School of Mines Geological Engineering program, when should I expect to hear back? Thanks!!

Welcome! I am a geochemist and like to think I know a little bit about Mines. ;)

Admissions here is...odd, to say the least. There's no real admissions meeting, per se. I'm more familiar with the chem department (geochemists can apply to either department) but from what I hear from my advisor, the geology dept is just as laid back as the chem department. Basically, the head of the adcomm looks over your app to make sure you're not a total loser. If you're at least marginally acceptable, your folder gets passed around to any profs whose research interests might align with yours, and if any one of them likes you, you're probably in. (Whether or not you get funded is a completely separate matter; I have no idea how that works in either department.)

As far as I can tell, it's rolling admissions here. I had a transcript hiccup, so my app wasn't officially complete until 1/31 or so, and my acceptance came in some time around the beginning of March. I do know that most profs are gone right now--classes don't start until the 12th--so assume you won't hear anything for at least a week after that, if not longer.

Just out of curiosity, who are you thinking of working with? I don't know the Engineering-type profs as well as the straight-Geology folks, but I know lots of people who do know...

Thanks everyone for your responses! So helpful! :) Sorry my response was a little late, I wish I would get email notifications about responses ( Just figured it out at the bottom of post, derp.)

@UnlikelyGrad-I visited CSM's Geological Engineering Department and really liked it! Everyone was a lot more laid back than I thought they would be. Really awesome research too.

@Waddle- Yes indeed! Love the hard-rock, structural, engineering side of geology! I better, since I'm applying for geological engineering, lol. I'll try emailing the secretary, thanks!

Welcome! I am a geochemist and like to think I know a little bit about Mines. ;)

Admissions here is...odd, to say the least. There's no real admissions meeting, per se. I'm more familiar with the chem department (geochemists can apply to either department) but from what I hear from my advisor, the geology dept is just as laid back as the chem department. Basically, the head of the adcomm looks over your app to make sure you're not a total loser. If you're at least marginally acceptable, your folder gets passed around to any profs whose research interests might align with yours, and if any one of them likes you, you're probably in. (Whether or not you get funded is a completely separate matter; I have no idea how that works in either department.)

As far as I can tell, it's rolling admissions here. I had a transcript hiccup, so my app wasn't officially complete until 1/31 or so, and my acceptance came in some time around the beginning of March. I do know that most profs are gone right now--classes don't start until the 12th--so assume you won't hear anything for at least a week after that, if not longer.

Just out of curiosity, who are you thinking of working with? I don't know the Engineering-type profs as well as the straight-Geology folks, but I know lots of people who do know...

Also, I'm thinking of working with any of the 3 professors in the geological engineering section-all of them have research I would be very interested in. I guess Santi or Higgins, would be my first choices. But, I wouldn't mind working with Zhou, either.

The same situation with the poster, I submitted my app on 29th, Dec. But the intended major is Mining Engineering, I am an international student, usually the result will come to you via email from late Feb.

I submitted my app on Dec. 30th, so this gives me a good idea. Thanks! ugh...I don't want to wait that long!

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out this website today,and it is really a blessing~

I submitted my application at Jan 15 and I am still going through

Stage 1 - File in Graduate Office/waiting for credentials

And I am an applicant for Geology. I compared the two majors' main courses and chose geology.

Plus, my email, fanjinm@gmail.com you could mail &buzz me

I submitted my application at Jan 15 and I am still going through

Stage 1 - File in Graduate Office/waiting for credentials

This is the absolutely critical stage: they clearly still need your LoRs and/or your transcripts.

No one in the department will see your file until everything is in at the graduate office. Collecting stuff is really the only thing the grad office does when it comes to admissions, as far as I can tell.

This is the absolutely critical stage: they clearly still need your LoRs and/or your transcripts.

No one in the department will see your file until everything is in at the graduate office. Collecting stuff is really the only thing the grad office does when it comes to admissions, as far as I can tell.

I recieved an email from them a week ago stating they were about 2-4 weeks behind on this process. I had everything sent in about a month ago and submitted my app 12/30. They sent me an email about a week ago stating they had sent it to the department for review-whew! Cross your fingers!

Thanks so much for the infor.

I have wrote to the admission office about the missing of my transcripts and GRE scores.

Plus, did you contact any Profs before your admission? I wonder if I should.

Gosh , they sure are behind.

Fingers Crossing~

I recieved an email from them a week ago stating they were about 2-4 weeks behind on this process. I had everything sent in about a month ago and submitted my app 12/30. They sent me an email about a week ago stating they had sent it to the department for review-whew! Cross your fingers!