Guidance abt. molecular bio programs

qbeta

I'm basically just looking for some advice here as to how to direct my search for a program in molecular bio or biochemistry. I'm also interested in computational biology as I used to be a computer programmer. My stats are GPA 3.68 from a second tier state U and GRE 690Q, 710V. I don't have my AW scores yet. I took the GRE about 6 years ago and got 750Q, 760V, 6/6 AW though so I know I could probably do better on a retake. Anyway, I'm applying to a couple schools locally but am also looking out of state. I have 4 references, all very good but they are just from people I took classes from. In one case I was the 2nd highest class grade though. I also did an internship but it didn't work out due to some problems coordinating things with a person in the lab who didn't like me, so I'm not going to use that PI as a reference. Anyone have suggestions about where I might apply with a high probability of success? I have very little money to spend on application fees and of course not much time left to get in for Fall 2011.

Are you applying for MS or PhD? Regardless, you shouldn't be looking to apply just for the sake of getting in into a graduate program. At this point in your academic life, you (most probably) should know what programs you are interested and what career paths you want to follow in the future. I say this because your post gives the impression that you are desperate to get into any given program... which isn't the sound motive/decision you should carry with you.

That said, talk to your professors about potential career prospects. They can certainly suggest you some great programs to apply to. They might even have connections at several places and this might come very handy later. Another place to look for good programs is journals - if you like papers published by a certain lab/program, apply to those programs. I have applied to few schools based on what type of research they are doing and the caliber of the papers published. You can also search in this site, or other generic sites to get more information about potential schools.

Are you applying for MS or PhD? Regardless, you shouldn't be looking to apply just for the sake of getting in into a graduate program. At this point in your academic life, you (most probably) should know what programs you are interested and what career paths you want to follow in the future. I say this because your post gives the impression that you are desperate to get into any given program... which isn't the sound motive/decision you should carry with you.

That said, talk to your professors about potential career prospects. They can certainly suggest you some great programs to apply to. They might even have connections at several places and this might come very handy later. Another place to look for good programs is journals - if you like papers published by a certain lab/program, apply to those programs. I have applied to few schools based on what type of research they are doing and the caliber of the papers published. You can also search in this site, or other generic sites to get more information about potential schools.

Yes, I forgot to mention. Due to my lack of research and publication experience I'm applying to MS programs though ultimately I would like to go for a PhD. I'm going to hit up my old professors for just the sort of info you spoke about this week in fact.

What sorts of computational biology are you interested in? There are lots of great bioinformatics programs out there.

I tend to gravitate towards computer modeling, simulations of protein folding, drug mechanisms, that sort of thing. Got any suggestions? The bioinformatics programs I've looked at seemed to ignore this field.

I tend to gravitate towards computer modeling, simulations of protein folding, drug mechanisms, that sort of thing. Got any suggestions? The bioinformatics programs I've looked at seemed to ignore this field.

That sounds like biochemistry/structural biology or pharmacology programs. Sometimes you won't just find these types of things in obvious places like computational biology programs a lot of schools have one or two researchers who may in particularly do these types of things but not enough faculty to actually warrant a formal program dedicated to it. I for instance am interested in RNA modeling, and really had to pick through programs sometimes to find people who do that.

Hmm, not for those. I agree with PlutonicFriend, those areas are something that you have to dig for more.

While I was browsing for schools of interest.. I remember seeing some profs at TAMU (prof amato ?) and Rice that are doing protein folding simulation.

Read papers written by those profs and trace good papers from the bibliography section of their pubs.. That should lead you to key players in protein folding/drug mechanism...

Alternatively, these are some fantastic schools in bioinformatics that offers a wide range of things to work on (maybe you can find a prof that suits you)

boston u, USC, U penn (biomedical grad studies). johns hopkins, wustl, and of course all of the big names (many UCs, princeton, etc)

best of luck.

With some of your areas of interest, you might also try applying to some Chemistry programs...

I know there's one group at Penn State in Chemistry that's doing great work in simulating protein folding (as well as the dynamics of unfolded states), and it seems to be a fairly common computational interest.