Well, that was a fun waste of $6000

GopherGrad

Well, my third LoR still isn't in at schools with a December 1st deadline. I recently received a message from another department (Dec. 10 deadline) letting me know that the review has started and without the letter my application is at a "competitive disadvantage". Given my low-ish stats, that's pretty much a death knell.

I have emailed the professor a half dozen times in the last week, forwarding "Application Incomplete" messages and the like, but have received no response since his promise three weeks ago to have all letters submitted by Christmas Eve Day. I finally called his office this morning only to hear that the his department (at a European uni) is closed through January 10. I can only assume from the emails so far that most adcomms will meet before then.

So glad that I took all those night classes in polisci and econ, spent all that time researching schools, filled out all those applications, wrote all those essays and paid all that tuition and all those application fees in order to have the process essentially scuppered for the lack of one letter.

I cringe to think of the vacation I could have taken with that money. I cringe deeper to think where I would be if I'd spent all that time finding a job. Or learning Chinese. Or the piano. Or watching Who's the Boss? repeats.

Edited by GopherGrad

I'm so sorry to hear this. I had a recommender that was MIA for a while too. I literally went to his office and placed a handwritten note with my resume and SOP in the middle of his desk. In the end, the only thing that lit the fire under his butt was communicating through his secretary.

It really stinks that your writer never came through to you. Do people realize how crucial and important this stuff is to us? I'm sure you've already tried to think of other ways to get in touch with this professor, so there's nothing else I can offer except the advice to go have a cold beer and know that it is out of your hands.

Assumedly you applied to schools with later deadlines than Dec. 1? It's my impression that a lot of schools don't start reviewing until the week of January 10th; if you can get your letter in by that week, you may be ok.. That, and I might e-mail departments notifying them of the issue, and perhaps assuring them that the other letter is on the way (even if you can't confirim that.)

Sorry to hear that, and best of luck regardless.

Ohhh, I'm sorry to hear this! That is awful. But hey, as RWBG said, surely some programs won't start reviewing applications before next week? And anyway, this year can't have been a complete waste; you can still reapply next year, right?

Good luck anyway!

I'm so sorry. Happened to me too. If it helps, this worked for me:

1) Repeat after me: it's not you, it's him.

2) Can you find anyone else to write a letter? I do mean anyone - the letter doesn't have to be good, it just has to exist. Did you get an A in someone's class? Does the guy three cubicles over think you're swell? Does your favorite high school teacher still remember you? Seriously, get creative. Often, incomplete applications get automatically screened out. If you've got two good letters and one vague and/or non-academic one, at least you'll get considered. (It's a good sign for you that at least one school will consider you as-is.)

3) It's not you, it's him. Curse, drink, cry, resolve to interrogate ex-students of future advisor in order to avoid similar events in the future. Whatever helps.

4) Continue the campaign of merciless badgering. If he won't do it out of concern for your future, then he'll do it just to make you go away. If you've done #2, this becomes far less soul-crushing.

5) See #3.

6) If you don't make it this year, you can try again. Last year, I had two professors go AWOL on me - both people I'd worked with for years - and I was absolutely devastated. The one letter I did get was from a first-year grad student. (Heck, I would have rejected me too.) So I went back to my job, scraped up two additional letters, and tried again. Yes, I'd like that year of my life back, not to mention those application fees. But in the long run, it doesn't matter.

7) See #1.

If he were to get the letter in on Jan. 10th, I think there are still a couple schools that would review my full application. I would say half of my schools had deadlines of Dec 10 or earlier, including the department claiming that review has started. It's based on that department's representation that I figure 75% of my applications will be a lost cause by Jan. 10.

As for next year, I think I'll need to take some time to decide. I will have to re-take the GRE, risking my awesome score. I have been out of school for awhile, so I would need to find a new recommender. I didn't really spend the last five years keeping in touch with faculty. Also, I turn 30 next month and I'm starting to think that at some point I need to stop dreaming. Maybe it's the disappointment talking, but I have a sense that in both academic and practical terms, this year was my best shot.

If he were to get the letter in on Jan. 10th, I think there are still a couple schools that would review my full application. I would say half of my schools had deadlines of Dec 10 or earlier, including the department claiming that review has started. It's based on that department's representation that I figure 75% of my applications will be a lost cause by Jan. 10.

As for next year, I think I'll need to take some time to decide. I will have to re-take the GRE, risking my awesome score. I have been out of school for awhile, so I would need to find a new recommender. I didn't really spend the last five years keeping in touch with faculty. Also, I turn 30 next month and I'm starting to think that at some point I need to stop dreaming. Maybe it's the disappointment talking, but I have a sense that in both academic and practical terms, this year was my best shot.

Why would you have to retake the GRE? Did you take it four years ago? Either way, I'm sure your score wouldn't change too much.

I wouldn't be so sure about the review process starting that early. The majority of schools aren't going to want to bother reviewing applications until the semester begins, and for most schools, that's January 10th.

I'm doubtful things will change much by next year, so even if things don't work out, I think you would be fine to reapply next year. Just try not to get discouraged.

I did take it four years ago. I'm sure that with enough prep, I could get back to my old score. I didn't study math in college, so preparing for that portion of it was tough. I hope you're right about deadlines; the letter from that one department (U Chicago) really rocked my sense that even six weeks late was not too bad. Still, if schools aren't interested in reviewing before the semester starts, why do some set deadlines in very early December?

Oh, well. I wrote one of my old law profs that taught a famously hard course I got an A in. He won't remember me, so I just asked for a pro forma letter detailing how challenging the course and program were and concluding that getting an A requires some grit and half a brain. He is a very well respected legal scholar, so hopefully the name alone carries a little weight.

You know, if he agrees.

Sorry to hear about this situation. Incredibly irresponsible on the part of your recommender. I would hold out hope that at least some departments will review your file. I retain some degree of optimism on your behalf because I was in the same situation, and was admitted to several programs with all 3 letters missing (of course this was over a decade ago so perhaps things were different then?) though my file did suffer when it came to allocating fellowships.

I would be surprised if most admissions committees in the US make any cuts before mid-January. Individual members may have begun reviewing files, but no decisions will be made until meetings can be scheduled when school is back in session. Most likely your letter was triggered by a departmental assistant getting files ready for the committee to start reviewing, so once you have a letter lined up, I would contact the sender of that email to find out how to get your letter into the file as quickly as possible rather than sending it via the normal channels. Perhaps you can shame the recommender, or ask the new possible recommender, to submit letters by fax or email directly to the professors on the admissions committee?

Hang in there.

*edited for clarity

I did take it four years ago. I'm sure that with enough prep, I could get back to my old score. I didn't study math in college, so preparing for that portion of it was tough. I hope you're right about deadlines; the letter from that one department (U Chicago) really rocked my sense that even six weeks late was not too bad. Still, if schools aren't interested in reviewing before the semester starts, why do some set deadlines in very early December?

Oh, well. I wrote one of my old law profs that taught a famously hard course I got an A in. He won't remember me, so I just asked for a pro forma letter detailing how challenging the course and program were and concluding that getting an A requires some grit and half a brain. He is a very well respected legal scholar, so hopefully the name alone carries a little weight.

You know, if he agrees.

Edited by Penelope Higgins

I sent the original writer a terse letter and have forwarded the "your file is incomplete" emails to him as they arrived. I presume that "extremely irresponsible" is dead-on. He is a good professor, but I think tends to prioritize his research over his students. At the time I took his course, he had little time for most students but believed, apparently, that I was destined to teach. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have few relationships with other faculty that would lead to strong letters. I have contacted a professor who admired my work in his class, but with whom I had no personal relationship. I can't expect him (or anyone else) to drop everything for my emergency, but you never know. He struck me as caring about his students and diligent in general.

The letters are important to my file. I have applied to programs with average GPAs well above mine and I have few completed credits in courses with political science titles. Some of my less important indicators (GRE, a T20 law degree) would combine with strong letters and a top-notch writing sample to indicate that my performance in my theatre BFA 12 years ago has little to say about my abilities today. But if the record is incomplete, what else can they judge?

Anyway, your optimism is heartening. Reading your contribution to this site, I know that you are knowledgeable and realistic. Between your advice and the other posts, I have sloughed off (most of) the helpless feeling and am trying to problem solve. My application process has been so duct-taped and shoestring that it almost seems like I should get in somewhere. Maybe I've just watched Rudy too many times.

So glad that I took all those night classes in polisci and econ, spent all that time researching schools, filled out all those applications, wrote all those essays and paid all that tuition and all those application fees in order to have the process essentially scuppered for the lack of one letter.

I took 12 credits worth of courses at part-time student prices solely for the purpose of establishing to adcomms that I understood methodology and economics. That accounts for about $5000.

I did apply to quite a few schools, as well, and incurred probably $1400 in direct expenses.

If I remember correctly last year my last deadline (to a US school) was on the 15th of January . It was a well respected department. I know that you have already paid a lot but probably you could still add a few (good! ) programs in the name of not to waste sunk costs if you really want to start this year. (and I agree with everyone suggesting that you may want to do everything to get "a" recommendation in.)..

Good Luck!

I took 12 credits worth of courses at part-time student prices solely for the purpose of establishing to adcomms that I understood methodology and economics. That accounts for about $5000.

I did apply to quite a few schools, as well, and incurred probably $1400 in direct expenses.

Well, assuming that you did the courses purely for signaling your abilities, at ~400 a credit, that's a bargain. At least you got your signaling at a relatively low cost. But I am of the opinion that courses in econ, stats etc are worthwhile things to learn even if they add no value to your apps.

Kal-

One school that seemed like a decent fit for me has a Jan. 15 deadline. One other school to which I applied had a Dec. 31 deadline. If my writer gets the letter in immediately, I doubt my applications for either of those schools will be prejudiced. I am working under the assumption, though, that he won't ever complete the letter. I would be delighted to get into either program. As I have long represented to this board, however, I applied to quite a few schools because I think my total profile will seem risky and I thought only wide exposure of a complete application that really detailed my strengths would give me a fighting chance at admission. Getting cut from 13 applications to 2 would still be distressing.

oasis-

A great price is still a waste if it's not a product you can use. Paying that much for a signal is fine, but someone else has effectively cut the power.

I understand that learning is never without value. If it's just down to a quest for knowledge, though, I'm confident that I could have taught myself freshmen level macro from the book for a fraction of the cost. (In fact, considering I took the course through the university's distance learning program, that's essentially what I did.) In any event, time is finite and I could have chosen any number of subjects more useful to my current career or more fun as distraction from it.

The fact of the matter is that this missing letter undermines a significant amount of investment I put into this process, both mental and financial. No amount of bizarre nitpicking is going to change that. This is a rant on an anonymous chat board, fer chrissake, not an APSA article.

Kal-

One school that seemed like a decent fit for me has a Jan. 15 deadline. One other school to which I applied had a Dec. 31 deadline. If my writer gets the letter in immediately, I doubt my applications for either of those schools will be prejudiced. I am working under the assumption, though, that he won't ever complete the letter. I would be delighted to get into either program. As I have long represented to this board, however, I applied to quite a few schools because I think my total profile will seem risky and I thought only wide exposure of a complete application that really detailed my strengths would give me a fighting chance at admission. Getting cut from 13 applications to 2 would still be distressing.

oasis-

A great price is still a waste if it's not a product you can use. Paying that much for a signal is fine, but someone else has effectively cut the power.

I understand that learning is never without value. If it's just down to a quest for knowledge, though, I'm confident that I could have taught myself freshmen level macro from the book for a fraction of the cost. (In fact, considering I took the course through the university's distance learning program, that's essentially what I did.) In any event, time is finite and I could have chosen any number of subjects more useful to my current career or more fun as distraction from it.

The fact of the matter is that this missing letter undermines a significant amount of investment I put into this process, both mental and financial. No amount of bizarre nitpicking is going to change that. This is a rant on an anonymous chat board, fer chrissake, not an APSA article.

I've been having a think over this for a while, as I believed for a hairy few days that I would be in precisely your position. Is there documentation that the professor agreed to write a letter of rec, ie in an email? I would produce the emails to someone who you think will be sympathetic - someone in the department, perhaps? - and ask for any help they can give. If any official at your school (or at the one where the negligent prof works) writes something along the lines of "it's really truly not his fault" (her fault?) and encloses copies of the original emails that show the recommender had a month to fill it out, then they may give you a bit of leniency. It would be even better if said sympathetic person would write the letter of rec, so they have both.

I would keep fighting, basically. I know it's dreadful, but if you keep after it, maybe one school will still look at you. That's better than losing all of them, no?

Ah, so I'd give the substitute recommender copies of the original's emails to enclose?

I certainly have them. Because I have been out of school so long, I contact faculty seeking letters almost eight months ago, so he's had lots of time.

That's what I suggested, but it is certainly a sticky wicket. I think it only works if the two know each other. Or if you personally enclose the emails along with the recommendation (the envelope inside the envelope thing).

The danger is it may come across like you're tattling on one Prof to another, jeopardizing your reputation with the one who has missed the deadlines. I'm guessing you probably don't care about that at this point. But it could also appear like you're the type who is willing to badmouth a colleague, which may be of concern to the adcomms.

I don't think there's any way around it - you've been put in a terrible position. But I would show the emails to the department head or something, get a letter from him/her saying it's not your fault, and get a trusted prof to bang out a rec within a week. Send it all and a lenient reader may consider you.

Gotcha.

Thankfully, a prof agreed to dash off a letter for me ASAP, so wherever I'm not out, I'm back in.

(woot!!)

Great news! I hope they come through for you ASAP!

Thanks, everyone, for the happy thoughts.

Now I'm emailing every department with a completely blown deadline to see what I can do about getting the new letter including in my file quickly. So far everyone is being very helpful.

Glad to hear it.

As an aside, I spent my undergrad years working as a PR rep in my school's admissions office. It's surprising how many decisions whether or not to consider special cases are made on the spot, and to some degree dependent on how endearing the poor soul is. If the applicant has a reasonable case and approaches the whole thing calmly, politely, and patiently, we usually gave the case all the way up to the Dean, who would make a judgment call. So don't despair, they might be OK with it.

I think most people intrinsically groan when they hear about a recommender dropping the ball.

I'm concerned to some extent that it will make me look less worthy; as though the prof just decided he couldn't stomach attaching his name to someone like me. But then, he agreed in the first place, so... I imagine most people will blame him for irresponsibility. It helps that I'm approaching with a solution already in hand, so it doesn't seem like I'm looking for a handout, even if I kind of am.

Also, I adopted a 2 month old lab/hound puppy this fall, and I've been attaching photos of him titled "reject me and you'll never pet him".

39879_432536743584_639678584_4963892_1696459_n.jpg