Notre Dame 2011

Happy to be here

So, I'm pretty sure there are lots applying to Notre Dame this year, and I thought I would kick off a thread on this school in particular. I'm guessing a lot of sociology of religion applicants are out there? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

A random thing happened with my application to Notre Dame. I attended several different schools during undergrad, and hence had more than one undergrad transcript that I sent their way. One of them--just one--was marked "unofficial" while the others were official transcripts (all of them were official transcript requests, though). I emailed the people there, and they said having an unofficial transcript was fine and, if accepted, then I would be asked to send an official one then. I let it go, and then a few days later, I looked at it again and the transcript changed to being "official." So, no big deal really, I'm guessing just an office error which was corrected---but I thought I would share this in case others see something like that for their application.

Here's hoping for a Notre Dame admission. I'm leaning toward them as my top school, but trying not to get over-hyped. Hope the Notre Dame applications go well for everyone, regardless the result.

• 3 weeks later...

I received notification over the weekend that I've been invited to their visit day (which includes an interview). I'm a little surprised that the soc department is, in fact, interviewing candidates. I didn't think soc departments generally had enough funds to support an interview process. Regardless, I'll be in Indiana Feb 18th. Hope to see some of you there!

I received notification over the weekend that I've been invited to their visit day (which includes an interview). I'm a little surprised that the soc department is, in fact, interviewing candidates. I didn't think soc departments generally had enough funds to support an interview process. Regardless, I'll be in Indiana Feb 18th. Hope to see some of you there!

Damnit, did anyone else get such an invite? Sounds like I got rejected again. Congrats on the invite.

• 2 weeks later...

Damnit, did anyone else get such an invite? Sounds like I got rejected again. Congrats on the invite.

I'm not sure if they do this every year, but I applied to ND two years ago and they admitted in two rounds. First, they invited a group of candidates to visit the campus and admitted some from that pool. Then they phone interviewed another group and admitted/waitlisted based on how much space and funding remained. So it's just a guess, but I think they might contact more people in the weeks following the visit day.

• 2 weeks later...

saw some phone acceptances for notre dame.. anyone here?

I was admitted, though I went to the interview weekend. Two recent result posts say they did not, which may imply that they gave some admissions outside of the interview pool (especially since I was under the impression that weekend that only one person was unable to make the visitation), but I'm not sure, all speculation at this point.

Rejected today via website.

What does your rejection look like? I got the email to check status but when I logged in I couldnt find my application. I assume that is a rejection but this is very confusing.

I just called yesterday and they said, they were reviewing applications! Does this mean that all the acceptances have been send already? Would anyone know?

Look at the bottom of the first page of your app, it will say 'click here for decision' or something.

Got invited to the visit day on February 18th, went through all the interviews and the happy hours anddddd... officially wait listed via phone call.

How should I take this? Do you think there is any hope? Or should I treat it like a flat rejection?

I don't know how your reading of that weekend was, but to me it seemed like a number of other attendees sounded like they weren't assuredly going to attend. So I should think there's hope, though wait-lists aren't exactly a predictable matter.

I don't know how your reading of that weekend was, but to me it seemed like a number of other attendees sounded like they weren't assuredly going to attend. So I should think there's hope, though wait-lists aren't exactly a predictable matter.

I had a similar read. It might be a little tricky though because my research interests revolved particularly about getting into CREO. I know a couple other students interested in the center had a long list of schools they applied to/had visits lined up for.. who knows.

Either way, I plan on reapplying. I've been accepted into a MA program for Sociology at Loyola Chicago so depending on how things go there hopefully I may be able to transfer after obtaining my Masters.

I'm happy though that you got accepted (albeit slightly envious haha). Where do you stand on your decision? Are you planning on enrolling? (not that your deciding to elsewhere would matter much if you werent specifically planning on enrolling in CREO)

I had a similar read. It might be a little tricky though because my research interests revolved particularly about getting into CREO. I know a couple other students interested in the center had a long list of schools they applied to/had visits lined up for.. who knows.

Either way, I plan on reapplying. I've been accepted into a MA program for Sociology at Loyola Chicago so depending on how things go there hopefully I may be able to transfer after obtaining my Masters.

I'm happy though that you got accepted (albeit slightly envious haha). Where do you stand on your decision? Are you planning on enrolling? (not that your deciding to elsewhere would matter much if you werent specifically planning on enrolling in CREO)

Yeah, I was one of the political/religion people, so no CREO for me. I'm in all likelihood going to enroll - still awaiting a decision from Brandeis, which would certainly be worth considering if I were accepted and funded.

I hope you get in, good luck with the wait-list!

I was not invited to the visitation weekend, but i still have not been rejected officially. The website says my application has been submitted and is still under review. Now since I know that they have sent out acceptances, rejections, and have wait listed some people, how should I take this? At this point I still have not contacted anyone in the department. Should I?

I was not invited to the visitation weekend, but i still have not been rejected officially. The website says my application has been submitted and is still under review. Now since I know that they have sent out acceptances, rejections, and have wait listed some people, how should I take this? At this point I still have not contacted anyone in the department. Should I?

If I were to guess, based on other postings I've seen around this forum, I'd say there's some sort of unofficial waitlist you've been placed on. Don't know though. I don't think it would harm anything to check with the graduate secretary.