SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Today is the decision day (with $500 deposit due) that the University of South Carolina gave on the acceptance letter. Just curious of all who got accepted to USC-Columbia, how many are planning to attend? How many got some type of funding?

Still waiting on a few schools, waitlisted on one. Very hard decision with $500 at stake and incomplete information.

This was my deadline too. I decided not to accept the offer - it was a good one financially, but all of their written material gave me a bad vibe. Plus, they don't like you to come visit after you get in, because of course you're supposed to fly all over the country to visit potential programs before you apply.. <_< I visited schools that were close to me, but for the out of state visits just weren't feasible.

Went on an admitted students visit today at another university and really liked it - I think I've made my choice! ^_^

Agreed. I'd err on the side of caution and avoid jeans. It's the first time we'll be meeting our potential professors, so I think it's important to look nice.

I am so excited for this weekend! Is anyone else also doing a double header and seeing both IU and Purdue?

I'm going to IU this week!! I am so excited to see the program. Where are you from? I was also trying to decide what to wear. I will probably dress buisness casual as well. I agree that it's important to look nice!

I'm going to an open house on Friday and the e-mail said- Dress: Please feel free to dress comfortably for this event. What do you think I should wear? This is the first open house I'm going to so I have no idea what to expect. THANKS!!!

Are you going to the Indiana open house?

Does anyone know how many seats there are at Colorado-Boulder? I'm so nervous, I feel like I'm going to break gmail with all of my checking. I'm still also waiting to hear from Northeastern and UNR (the former should be this week-ish, the latter probably in a week or two).

Has anyone heard about funding for either University of Washington or Pacific University? I've heard zippo from UW, and I was told when I was admitted that I'm a finalist for an assistantship at Pacific, but that was over two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything else. Does funding info typically come a lot later than admits, or should I just accept that I probably won't receive funding?

Thanks as always to all the helpful people on this thread!

I have no idea about Pacific but I got my official scholarship offer today from UW. I got the impression they don't have a ton to give to master's students this year though :/

I'm going to IU this week!! I am so excited to see the program. Where are you from? I was also trying to decide what to wear. I will probably dress buisness casual as well. I agree that it's important to look nice!

I'm very excited as well! I'm from Michigan and have never been to Bloomington before. How about you?

I have also applied to CU Boulder and am curious what others know about the program. I'm out of state, so I don't know much about it other than it's ranked fairly well on the US News & World Report rankings and hey, I'd love to live in Colorado. But I've heard several on here saying those US News rankings don't really mean much. For those of you who are saying good things about it and that it's highly ranked, etc, would you mind sharing what you know and why you think it's a good program? Are you basing your opinions on the rankings or other factors? I'd love to have some more info!

I have also applied to CU Boulder and am curious what others know about the program. I'm out of state, so I don't know much about it other than it's ranked fairly well on the US News & World Report rankings and hey, I'd love to live in Colorado. But I've heard several on here saying those US News rankings don't really mean much. For those of you who are saying good things about it and that it's highly ranked, etc, would you mind sharing what you know and why you think it's a good program? Are you basing your opinions on the rankings or other factors? I'd love to have some more info!

I'm PMing you now :)

Re: Vandy... I emailed Lyn Smith and heard back in under three hours. I got in, which is pretty much a dream come true for me. I will wait for all funding possibilities to come out to make my final decision, but I am very much leaning towards Vandy even without funding.

I will be moving to Nashville from California, so I'll be looking for a roomie. Anyone know if there's a facebook group or another forum thread open yet for people who are starting Fall 2012?

Congratulations!! Im on the west coast too, but am also really excited about the thought of attending vandy. It's good to know there will likely be others dealing with the culture shock as well

Edited by agregory

Congratulations!! Im on the west coast too, but am also really excited about the thought of attending vandy. It's good to know there will likely be others dealing with the culture shock as well

Congrats to you as well! I just noticed that you have been accepted at every program I have been accepted at. Too funny! Are you going to the MGH accepted student info session? I'll be there- I got a friend to fly out with me to spend the weekend. It'll be my first time in Boston :)

Did anyone else get the email from UCF today? They said that decisions will be made by the end of April...that sounds waaay too late. But then again, UNC Greensboro sent out an email saying decisions would be ready sometime between April 1-15, and I've already heard from them.

Did anyone else get the email from UCF today? They said that decisions will be made by the end of April...that sounds waaay too late. But then again, UNC Greensboro sent out an email saying decisions would be ready sometime between April 1-15, and I've already heard from them.

I received that email too. I assume you applied for Fall. I applied for Summer and they said by the end of March for us. I agree that end of April is wayyy late. Most of the applicants will have made decisions to other schools by then! But I think you're right in assuming they won't actually be that late. However, it will be pretty darn close to that April 15th deadline most other schools have. Good luck!

Does anyone know how many seats there are at Colorado-Boulder? I'm so nervous, I feel like I'm going to break gmail with all of my checking. I'm still also waiting to hear from Northeastern and UNR (the former should be this week-ish, the latter probably in a week or two).

I looked on the ASHA EdFinder website (http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Masters/MastersSearchDetail.aspx?QryStrValue=NMTS5i2F0QvHR459A4Gnl6aBNnOWzeRnYLGmG1aybophGi7R3mW8LsPhY1jl7pD9 )that has some stats for lots of programs, and it says that CU Boulder had 341 applications and accepted 57 of them. But I have no idea what year that is for. Not the current one, obviously. I have a hunch that ASHA website is fairly outdated, so I don't know if it's really any help at all.

I received that email too. I assume you applied for Fall. I applied for Summer and they said by the end of March for us. I agree that end of April is wayyy late. Most of the applicants will have made decisions to other schools by then! But I think you're right in assuming they won't actually be that late. However, it will be pretty darn close to that April 15th deadline most other schools have. Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too!! :)

Congrats to you as well! I just noticed that you have been accepted at every program I have been accepted at. Too funny! Are you going to the MGH accepted student info session? I'll be there- I got a friend to fly out with me to spend the weekend. It'll be my first time in Boston :)

Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to make it due to the timing. I'd be really eager to hear your thoughts though if you wouldnt mind touching base afterwards. I think the high tuition at MGH combined with the crazy cost of living in Boston might have me leaning more towards other options at this point anyways.

Im definitely planning on visiting Vanderbilt before the 15th though. Have you gotten in touch with anyone over there about a tour yet? I emailed Penny Welch, who sent me an availability form to be forwarded back to Lyn Smith. Hopefully our paths will cross in Nashville!

I looked on the ASHA EdFinder website (http://hes.asha.org:...mW8LsPhY1jl7pD9 )that has some stats for lots of programs, and it says that CU Boulder had 341 applications and accepted 57 of them. But I have no idea what year that is for. Not the current one, obviously. I have a hunch that ASHA website is fairly outdated, so I don't know if it's really any help at all.

I am certain it's at least a little outdated, since the email sent out to us today said they had 500 applicants. I'm really hoping they still accept at least 57 though!

I'm so nervous...wondering how they sent out emails today. I wonder if it was by last name? I am at the end (way end) of the alphabet, so I wonder if I'll be waiting 'till Wednesday :wacko:

I am certain it's at least a little outdated, since the email sent out to us today said they had 500 applicants. I'm really hoping they still accept at least 57 though!

I'm so nervous...wondering how they sent out emails today. I wonder if it was by last name? I am at the end (way end) of the alphabet, so I wonder if I'll be waiting 'till Wednesday :wacko:

Yes I'm wondering the same thing! I'm an "R", so I'm close to the end as well. I must be just as anxious as you are. This is my top choice (well, sorta). I've been accepted to schools in Flagstaff and St. Cloud, but getting into CU is pretty much the only way I can convince my fiance to move with me and get out of Florida. I'd also be happy with UCF; it think it's a great school, but that means staying in the same area I'm already in. To be honest, I can't stand living in or around Orlando. Boulder would be a dream.

Yes I'm wondering the same thing! I'm an "R", so I'm close to the end as well. I must be just as anxious as you are. This is my top choice (well, sorta). I've been accepted to schools in Flagstaff and St. Cloud, but getting into CU is pretty much the only way I can convince my fiance to move with me and get out of Florida. I'd also be happy with UCF; it think it's a great school, but that means staying in the same area I'm already in. To be honest, I can't stand living in or around Orlando. Boulder would be a dream.

I wish you much luck!

I can not wait to get my first acceptance! I'm really losing it...and all of my friends have received acceptances (some have multiples) and it's making me feel pretty down.

P.S. I've lived in Kissimmee and I know how you must feel ;)

My last name starts with a W and I heard today, so maybe they're starting at the end of the alphabet? :P Or more likely there's no rhyme or reason at all and they're chuckling at our attempts to make sense of their methods.... Anyway, good luck! Sounds like you'll hear soon!

Edited by alicejcw

My last name starts with a W and I heard today, so maybe they're starting at the end of the alphabet? :P Or more likely there's no rhyme or reason at all and they're chuckling at our attempts to make sense of their methods.... Anyway, good luck! Sounds like you'll hear soon!

Aahhhhh I'm also a W!