SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Has anyone heard from Idaho State? They indicated that they would begin notifying March 23rd for first round.

Hi! The email I have from them says that decisions will be made mid to late March and first rounds will go out the first week of April. I don't expect anything for awhile because last year they were very late. By the way, you applied to u of m, right? They just sent out the emails :) yay!

Edited by SLP1129

I'm not sure if anyone but me was waiting for NAU summer program, but we got emails today. Got in :)

Congrats on the acceptance!! I noticed you applied to one other program, but is this your first choice? Waiting on one more, but if I don't get in then I'll definitely be attending NAU.

Wow so... I heard from my last school I was waiting for today. It's over! I've made my decision, and will be declining quite a few acceptances and taking myself off the waitlist of quite a few schools as well. Now I guess I can stop checking my email obsessively and bugging my mom about if she has checked the mail yet. Weird. Very, very weird.

Hope all you guys got/will be getting the news you were hoping for!

Wow so... I heard from my last school I was waiting for today. It's over! I've made my decision, and will be declining quite a few acceptances and taking myself off the waitlist of quite a few schools as well. Now I guess I can stop checking my email obsessively and bugging my mom about if she has checked the mail yet. Weird. Very, very weird.

Hope all you guys got/will be getting the news you were hoping for!

Congrats! it's a weird feeling after months of anxious waiting, but it's definitely a good change :) Good luck in your grad program!!

Hi! The email I have from them says that decisions will be made mid to late March and first rounds will go out the first week of April. I don't expect anything for awhile because last year they were very late. By the way, you applied to u of m, right? They just sent out the emails :) yay!

Oh that is great! Congrats to you! I dont have my hopes up - I have been receiving rejections from everywhere I applied (CSUN, NOVA) and dont think my 3.4 gpa will hold up against everyone else. I have not heard from U of Montana - thanks for the update though and best wishes. Where do you think you will go ?

Does anyone have any more information about the March 12 interviews at San Francisco State?

I interviewed on the 12th at SF. It was a writing sample and a 20 minute interview with 2 faculty members. There were at least two groups taking the writing sample (maybe 50-60 people total?) and it looked the first group may have been their own students (they seemed to all know each other and dressed very casually...) and we were all fairly dressed up in the second group and no one really knew each other... everyone I spoke with from the second group was from California though. Good luck!!

I'm probably going to decline SDSU and attend UT Austin instead, hopefully that opens up a spot for whoever is on the wl. I'm a CSU student too, and I'm really tired of the tuition increase and I'm quite interested in the labs offered at UTA. BTW, do you know what's going on with TC? They are really slow according to what they initially promised, but someone from the TC Facebook group called the department, we're probably going to hear back in early April...=(

I feel very disappointed about all three rejections from the medical programs, even though I keep telling myself, it's nothing about where you go to school but how you learn/practice as a future clinician... I would love to work in the hospital/rehab, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be as prepared as other SLPs who got in medical SLP programs. Do you guys know does it really make a difference whether you attended an program specialized in bilingual education or medical rehabilitation?

Also if you attended the grad school elsewhere, as long as you passed the praxis and have your master degree and CFY, you should be able to apply for license in every state right? I want to come back and practice in CA.

Anyone else on the same boat?

Hi JenniferD,

In terms of applying for licensure in California... It can be a little trickier to apply for your license in CA if you obtained your C's in a different state. With most states you just have to pay for the license but you have to take a test here. The only states that I've heard are like this are California and New York. So it's a little more trouble but I don't think it would be that big of a deal! Especially if you took it soon after graduating with the PRAXIS info still fresh on your brain. :)

Did Xavier actually reject anyone? Looks like the waitlist might be pretty long!

I'm not sure. I actually haven't heard anything at all yet....

I'm hoping that my letter is just being really slow at getting to me.

Good luck on getting off the waitlist!

Does anyone have any more information about the March 12 interviews at San Francisco State?

I second the SFSU interviews on March 12....were those for in-state residents? Any info would be appreciated :)

I interviewed on the 12th at SF. It was a writing sample and a 20 minute interview with 2 faculty members. There were at least two groups taking the writing sample (maybe 50-60 people total?) and it looked the first group may have been their own students (they seemed to all know each other and dressed very casually...) and we were all fairly dressed up in the second group and no one really knew each other... everyone I spoke with from the second group was from California though. Good luck!!

They had interviews? :huh: Didn't know about that. JoH are you near SF?

Oh that is great! Congrats to you! I dont have my hopes up - I have been receiving rejections from everywhere I applied (CSUN, NOVA) and dont think my 3.4 gpa will hold up against everyone else. I have not heard from U of Montana - thanks for the update though and best wishes. Where do you think you will go ?

I'm sure that you will get your email soon-- I saw that someone posted that a staff member was sick, so maybe they didn't get all the emails out today? I got mine around 3:30 mountain time. I'm not sure where I'll be going yet. I'm from Montana so that program is definitely my cheapest option but I have heard some not very good things about the program (that since it is new, it is unorganized). They want a decision by the 6th, which seems very soon! I have a lot to think about this weekend! Good luck to you!

Hi JoH! Thank you SO much for the info! WOW! What a process...a writing sample in addition! Thank you for confirming that everyone was from California. What did you think of the interview process?

Quick question for you all. For those of you who may not get a chance to attend grad school this year, what wil you do to improve your chances next year. I would liek to hear fromt hose who may not have gotten in last year and then got in this year!! thanks!!

That sounds like me though I have not been accepted anywhere yet! I have applied to four universities (CSUN, NOVA) Univ of Montana and Idaho State. I am not holding my breath to be accepted this time. My plan is as follows: retake the two courses that I got a C in (major surgery will do that to you). Enroll in nonmatriculated grad level courses at ECU if they will take me in Fall 2012, and retake my GREs. I have already worked in the field for 6 years as a SLPA and now as a conditional cert SLP while I work to get accepted somewhere. I have good LORs - at this point, I think my 3.4 GPA is not helping nor is my low 800 GRE (due to my math scores). It does amaze me how many people apply with experience, reasonable GPAs who don't get accepted. SLPs that I work with say back in their day (15 years ago) it was nothing like this to get in. What are your plans?

Here's a question:

What do you do if you are accepted to multiple schools and on the wait-list for funding at them? Can you "accept" to both schools and then see if you get funding? I'm just confused as to what to do if they don't tell you until after April 15th if you got an assistant-ship, but you're supposed to let schools know by then. Any thoughts?

Quick question for you all. For those of you who may not get a chance to attend grad school this year, what wil you do to improve your chances next year. I would liek to hear fromt hose who may not have gotten in last year and then got in this year!! thanks!!

Although I have 3 more schools to hear from, I don't feel I have much of a chance of receiving an acceptance this year. This was my first year applying and boy have I learned from this experience! I have received some good advice from people on this forum and that's to build up a resume with volunteer, research experience,or an internship. Luckily, I have been offered a speech internship this summer and that is a step in the right direction. I am also contemplating retaking my GRE. A year off isn't the worst that could happen, I look at it as a minor setback. I also plan to visit potential grad schools over the summer. Finally I plan on revising my SOP and working on getting great LOR.

Here's a question:

What do you do if you are accepted to multiple schools and on the wait-list for funding at them? Can you "accept" to both schools and then see if you get funding? I'm just confused as to what to do if they don't tell you until after April 15th if you got an assistant-ship, but you're supposed to let schools know by then. Any thoughts?

Hmm, that's tough. I suppose theoretically you can accept to more than one school. But obviously you'll have to awkwardly deny one at a later date. And there's always the risk that you could end up getting funding at both or at neither. I'd say really take a look at what you're considering and contemplate if you would be ok going to one without funding? What schools are you deciding between? You have a lot of great options!

Here's a question:

If you accept at both schools, you will have to pay the deposit at both of those schools. If losing $200-$500 is worth it to you to be able to decide between various funding options, then that's fine to do. My impression is that it is not uncommon for people to accept one school and then change their minds later if they get into a preferred school off the waitlist, so I don't think it would surprise the schools that much.

No, I haven't heard from UF yet. It is getting a little frustrating, especially since other people have heard.

Hi Kaitjg,

I e-mailed Ms. Vinson this past wed/thurs (can't remember exactly which day) and she e-mailed me back Friday morning saying decisions were being e-mailed out Friday and Monday, so lets just hope that we (if you haven't received an e-mail yet) hear back from them by Monday. Goodluck! :)