SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Thanks guys. I'm so disheartened and frustrated with this entire process. Only a handful of students from my program now got admitted to grad school-I've always had a hunch that my undergrad wasn't the best, but I feel that this sort of cements that theory. Its very difficult to accept how hard you have worked for this degree, to only be shot down when you're trying to continue.

I'm really hoping I have some sort of chance with UNR. The transcript in question was actually late (but I called and they said it was fine since they hadn't started reviewing apps yet) because I didn't submit it to any of my schools-it was from one semester in 1997 that I didn't do well in. I never used any of the credits and it was a completely different program. But...UNR insisted that they needed it before they reviewed my app so I had to send it in and it got there late...then this whole mess happened (when they actually received it but didn't realize it (I still don't get this) so they didn't forward my app).

Sorry about the ranting and major over-use of parenthesis. I'll update you all after I speak with the department tomorrow.

SunnyWade: I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you! I cannot even imagine what you are going through. I really hope that everything works out, and it seems like the UNR must really want to consider you. Good luck and don't worry about ranting... all of us would do the same if we were in your position. It is what gradcafe was designed for....

NorcalSLP...I saw your sig and I just wanted to let you know that I just recently turned down my Marquette offer...I hope that helps you!!

Haha thanks. I'm 12th on the wait list so I'm not holding my breath (I did rough calculations and over 30 people will have to turn down the offer or take themselves off the wait list for me to get in). I'm pretty excited about Northeastern though. My mom won't stop taking about how much she wants to go see a Bruins game (she's a big hockey fan). Where did you decide to go? Are you waiting on SXU?

Looks like my application season is finally coming to a close. Just received a waitlist from Redlands. They were the last one I was really waiting on. I still haven't heard from Chapman, but I wasn't even interviewed, so I'm pretty sure that will be a rejection, and I haven't heard from Pacific, but I would never be able to afford their program anyways. I'm really happy that I had such great choices, and couldn't be happier with my decision. I don't know what I'm going to do with my time now! I spent so many months obsessing over applications that I feel like something is missing! Guess I better enjoy my last few months of freedom until grad school starts!

Looks like my application season is finally coming to a close. Just received a waitlist from Redlands. They were the last one I was really waiting on. I still haven't heard from Chapman, but I wasn't even interviewed, so I'm pretty sure that will be a rejection, and I haven't heard from Pacific, but I would never be able to afford their program anyways. I'm really happy that I had such great choices, and couldn't be happier with my decision. I don't know what I'm going to do with my time now! I spent so many months obsessing over applications that I feel like something is missing! Guess I better enjoy my last few months of freedom until grad school starts!

I know what you mean when you say it feels like something is missing! I'm not sure what to do with myself.

Did NAU confirm receipt of your acceptance notification yet? I sent mine on Monday through the mail and wanted to see if they emailed or called you confirming they received it. I know they'll send a packet after April 15th, but the last thing I want is for it to get lost in the mail! I think if I haven't heard from them, I'll just send an email next week making sure they have it.

I also wanted to make sure we didn't need to send a deposit. I looked and looked again and didn't see anything about a fee we had to pay. Is this correct?

Can't wait to start!!!

I'd love to hear how other people are going through the process of making decisions. I feel like everyday I change my mind about where I want to go. What factors play a role in making your decision? Any advice on how to choose without regretting it? :) Thanks!

I feel the exact same way. I was between two schools that I absolutely loved and it is truly bittersweet to pick one. You really have to decide what you want for yourself first! Then I lined the schools up next to each other and looked at cost, how much a graduate assistant could earn, general program quality, quality of facilties. Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess, since I knew I couldn't pick a BAD school), my two schools lined up pretty equally. So I looked a little harder and asked myself:

1. Which faculty are doing research? What research are they doing in my area? How recent is the research? Are their papers interesting to you?

2. Where do alumni go after school? The same type of settings you want to end up in? Are some more schools versus medical settings?

3. What places are close to campus? Does the school have a really close connection with any facility nearby, such as hospitals or such?

4. Does the department have a relationship with any other graduate departments? Are those departments interesting to you? Will they address the same focus areas that you are interested in?

And finally, don't necessarily pick somewhere that feels super comfortable --you should feel comfortable and open, but remember that you are going to grad school to be challenged and go beyond your comfort zone. Go somewhere that is goin to challenge you and give you something to work for!

I hope that helps! Good luck with your decision!!

I hope that helped a little bit!

Haha thanks. I'm 12th on the wait list so I'm not holding my breath (I did rough calculations and over 30 people will have to turn down the offer or take themselves off the wait list for me to get in). I'm pretty excited about Northeastern though. My mom won't stop taking about how much she wants to go see a Bruins game (she's a big hockey fan). Where did you decide to go? Are you waiting on SXU?

Good luck, you never know! I am still waiting in the off chance that I manage to get off the SXU waitlist, but I'm not expecting to. Sooo, I'm pretty sure that I am going to UT Dallas. I can relate to what you said about how you are getting excited for Northeastern, though. I'm working up my excitement about UTD :)

I know what you mean when you say it feels like something is missing! I'm not sure what to do with myself.

Did NAU confirm receipt of your acceptance notification yet? I sent mine on Monday through the mail and wanted to see if they emailed or called you confirming they received it. I know they'll send a packet after April 15th, but the last thing I want is for it to get lost in the mail! I think if I haven't heard from them, I'll just send an email next week making sure they have it.

I also wanted to make sure we didn't need to send a deposit. I looked and looked again and didn't see anything about a fee we had to pay. Is this correct?

Can't wait to start!!!

The degree was added on my louie account yesterday, so I assume that means that they got it! I haven't heard anything else though... It would be nice if they sent some sort of confirmation!

Congrats, kweaver! Did you get any aid from them? I'm not sure where I'm going yet -- possibly!

Thanks, remmy! I'm on the waitlist for funding - I'm not holding out much hope, but not too worried because of in-state tuition. I was accepted to UIUC last year and really liked it but the cost held me back. What are your top choices right now?

In-state tuition is really nice. I'm deciding between Illinois, IU, and Northwestern currently. Illinois is my top choice cause I really like the program and it's in-state for me. I'm also on the waitlist for funding at IU so it's a long shot that I'd go there.

Let me know if you have any questions about Indiana U. I can tell you a lot about the town and such. =)

Has anyone heard from Cal State Northridge? The department told me they were hoping to get acceptances out this week and now it's come and gone.

Has anyone heard from Cal State Northridge? The department told me they were hoping to get acceptances out this week and now it's come and gone.

I'm at CSUN for their pre-CDS program, we were told we would hear this week. There will be several of us at the department office first thing Monday asking when we will be notified. I'll post what I get told.

Declined my first school today & unsent the email twice. This is hard! Especially with not having all the financial information. I'm not saying it's a bad spot to be in, but it just feels like such a weighty decision, you know?

Totally agree! Feeling the exact same way...

I'm at CSUN for their pre-CDS program, we were told we would hear this week. There will be several of us at the department office first thing Monday asking when we will be notified. I'll post what I get told.

Hi niccig:

Thanks for being willing to share information. Tired of being in the dark! Hope to hear more on Monday!!!

Really becoming more than a bit frustrated with the CSUs... April 15th is in ONE week and they're taking their sweet time <_<

I feel you there. It reflects badly on the program. And do they simply not care if students choose other schools because they need a secure spot?

Really becoming more than a bit frustrated with the CSUs... April 15th is in ONE week and they're taking their sweet time <_<

I finally made my decision: Indiana University (STEPS Program)! I visited Indiana and Temple last week and I really liked both of them, but I think Indiana will be the best fit for me. I just turned down my other offers, and I hope the spots go to some of the people on this forum. I'm not sure how I would have survived February and March if it hadn't been for the company and support of the other applicants in this group--thanks, everyone!

Has anyone heard of accepted students day for loyola ? Do they have that for the 3 year program students?

I know they had an open house for accepted students on 3/31. Not sure if it was just for the 2-year students or if it included the 3-years (I didn't attend as I already declined their offer). If I were you, I'd send them an e-mail this week and ask. Good luck!

So I am trying to make a decision between Rush and MGH. They are very similar programs and I am leaning towards Rush right now because I like Chicago better than Boston, the quarter system sounds like a nice change of pace, and the whole Rush community was extremely friendly. Is anyone else in a similar position who can give some constructive advice to further my decision between the two programs???

to the above poster, I don't know enough about rush vs. mgh to weigh in but I did want to give you my two cents on the quarter system. I don't want this to completely turn you off of going to Rush but it is something to consider. I personally really didn't like it at UW. It is one of the reasons I didn't apply there, or to any quarter school. I felt that the quarter system is a little like a never ending race that leaves you utterly exhausted and in no way fulfilled. Information is thrust at you at lightening speed and you are given very little time to absorb it, let alone fully learn and understand it. Midterms usually come two weeks into class and again two weeks later before a small break in testing and then finals. For me it just didn't work all that well. However, everyones learning style is different and the factory style learn and regurgitate that seemed to come with the quarter system just isn't my style. I learn better in a semester system where things may be covered more in depth but they are also approached from various angles. Grad school is going to be enough of a learn and repeat system for me I knew I needed to go somewhere that had longer blocks of class. Again this is just my opinion and clearly the quarter system works really well for some I just wish I had been prepared for the style of studying/learning it required before I got to UW. Your own personal learning style is another thing that you may want to consider. Good luck!

Edited by NorcalSLP