SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Hi Everyone!

I'm a senior at The university of Texas at Austin and will be working as an SLPA at  a private practice in Houston for a year before starting graduate school. I was wondering if SLP grad programs take your school into consideration along with your GPA? My reasoning would say yes, because a 4.0 at some schools could easily translate into a 3.4 or worse at more difficult universities. Any thoughts??

Thanks and Hook'em!

Depends on the school. Most schools will consider where you went for undergrad, but not as highly your actual GPA and GRE scores. I agree your lower overall GPA may be worth explaining in your SOP. Working as an SLPA will be helpful both in your application and once you get to grad school. I found myself fully prepared for the course work but the clinical aspect was far more challenging. Having some experience with treatment will give you a lot of confidence going into your clinical work in grad school. Good luck!

So I am applying to CU Boulder and the application is due today. I've sent in everything that is required, but several of the items I sent (including all of my transcripts) still say "initiated." I'm worried that my application is marked incomplete, even though I know that I have sent... and they should have already received all my information. Anyone else in the same boat?

So I am applying to CU Boulder and the application is due today. I've sent in everything that is required, but several of the items I sent (including all of my transcripts) still say "initiated." I'm worried that my application is marked incomplete, even though I know that I have sent... and they should have already received all my information. Anyone else in the same boat?

Not in the same boat, but I went to some info sessions and someone asked similar questions about the application deadlines.  Some responses were "get your application in, and have everything postmarked by the deadline and you're fine."  Another response was "if we haven't received and processed everything for your application by the deadline, it gets thrown out and you will only be considered the following year."  I might call the admissions office to verify the completeness of your application file if they are still open.  

Best of luck to you! 

Thanks @kcald716. I finally found the right office to give me the information about my application, and they told me that they had received all my supplemental documents. Now I can just heave a big sigh of relief that my CU application and my CSDCAS Application to University of Wyoming that were due today are complete. 

I applied to the CSUN Distance Learning Program for Spring 2013 as well. I am so anxious to hear back. I am not sure how hard it is to get in. I took their online SLPA program. Hopefully that will help. 

Have you heard anything????

Thanks @kcald716. I finally found the right office to give me the information about my application, and they told me that they had received all my supplemental documents. Now I can just heave a big sigh of relief that my CU application and my CSDCAS Application to University of Wyoming that were due today are complete. 

I applied to Boulder, too! I wonder if the program is going to have the incredibly huge amount of applicants again this year. I want to get in and I have a strong app, but I refuse to get my hopes up.

Oh, and I emailed Boulder back in November when some of my app materials were listed as "initiated" instead of "completed," and I was told that it should be OK as long as I had submitted everything.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Is there a such thing as a 'safety school' in SLP? I mean..seriously. I want to apply to one more school, that I think I might actually get in to, but it looks like if you're not hitting a 3.99 undergrad GPA and haven't volunteered in the field since you were 9 years old, you 'might as well not apply.' Maybe it's just the crazy stress of waiting, but I don't think I've ever been so hopeless in this process as when I read people with awesome extra background and a 3.75 GPA asking if people think they'll get in this year. 

Is there a such thing as a 'safety school' in SLP? I mean..seriously. I want to apply to one more school, that I think I might actually get in to, but it looks like if you're not hitting a 3.99 undergrad GPA and haven't volunteered in the field since you were 9 years old, you 'might as well not apply.' Maybe it's just the crazy stress of waiting, but I don't think I've ever been so hopeless in this process as when I read people with awesome extra background and a 3.75 GPA asking if people think they'll get in this year. 

While there are less competitive programs, there's not really such a thing as an SLP safety school due to the sheer number of applicants and the limited slots available. It's also hard to gauge what some schools are looking for--some seem to emphasize GPA/GRE, others seem to want significant SLP-related practical or research experience, still others seem to value uniqueness and diversity.

I'm an out-of-field applicant with minimal experience, so I made sure to play to my strengths by writing a stellar SOP and making my CV as impressive and relevant as possible.

Where did you apply, lrowe?

Oh, and good luck to you. This is a stressful process, and I commiserate 100%!

Edited by midnight streetlight

lrowe, I've felt the same way.  I'm out-of-field and tried to beef up my CV, SOP, and get some great LOR's, but I'm also 6 years away from my last master's degree prof's, so I have felt like my LOR's could have been better coming from those professors who knew me for 5+years rather than the ones I had for my pre-SLP courses that I've taken over the past year.  So I've been mentally freaking out, too.  There are a limited number of spots, unfortunately, and while there may not necessarily be any "safety schools," in my opinion, there are some schools where the applicants have a higher chance -- the schools where there aren't as many applicants in general.  Check the ASHA EdFind site and look at potential schools in the geographical area you are considering.  You might be surprised to find that one school with name recognition has 300-400 applicants, while another lesser known school name or a school with a newer CSD program has only 100-150 applicants.  Those schools, in my mind, are safety schools.  

We're all stressed, and you're not alone in that at all!  I'm working full time and taking 1 class online right now, and my stress / adrenaline STILL has me going online to depressurize! 

lrowe, I've felt the same way.  I'm out-of-field and tried to beef up my CV, SOP, and get some great LOR's, but I'm also 6 years away from my last master's degree prof's, so I have felt like my LOR's could have been better coming from those professors who knew me for 5+years rather than the ones I had for my pre-SLP courses that I've taken over the past year.  So I've been mentally freaking out, too.  There are a limited number of spots, unfortunately, and while there may not necessarily be any "safety schools," in my opinion, there are some schools where the applicants have a higher chance -- the schools where there aren't as many applicants in general.  Check the ASHA EdFind site and look at potential schools in the geographical area you are considering.  You might be surprised to find that one school with name recognition has 300-400 applicants, while another lesser known school name or a school with a newer CSD program has only 100-150 applicants.  Those schools, in my mind, are safety schools.  

We're all stressed, and you're not alone in that at all!  I'm working full time and taking 1 class online right now, and my stress / adrenaline STILL has me going online to depressurize! 

I can't deny how stressful this process is and the field is certainly incredibly competitive but you also have to consider how inflated all of the applicant numbers are due to everyone applying to 11 schools at a time.

Has anyone experienced South Carolina State only looking at applicants who have submitted their FINAL DEGREE transcript. I'm still in progress (May graduation) and was hoping to be considered for Fall 13. I was just baffled by the secretary who told me "too bad" because I've never experienced this before.

Can it be true, does SCSU only look at applicants who have a final transcript w/ proof of a degree...?

I just want to know if I am crazy or this is a common known fact..or if I talked to the wrong person!

Well, I thought that I should contribute to this board since I am constantly on it.  I have a B.A in Political Science, and I am in the final semester of my leveling courses for speech.  I have a 3.98 overall GPA and a 4.0 in my CDS leveling courses.  My GRE scores were not the greatest.  Q was a 148, W was a 5.0, and V was 162.  I applied to NAU, UNR, CSUEB, Fresno State, U of O, and Utah State.  Oh yeah, I am also a guy.  Everyone seems to think that I have a real shot due to the fact that I am a male, my fingers are crossed. Good Luck, everyone.

Well, I thought that I should contribute to this board since I am constantly on it.  I have a B.A in Political Science, and I am in the final semester of my leveling courses for speech.  I have a 3.98 overall GPA and a 4.0 in my CDS leveling courses.  My GRE scores were not the greatest.  Q was a 148, W was a 5.0, and V was 162.  I applied to NAU, UNR, CSUEB, Fresno State, U of O, and Utah State.  Oh yeah, I am also a guy.  Everyone seems to think that I have a real shot due to the fact that I am a male, my fingers are crossed. Good Luck, everyone.

I think you have a real shot because...you have a real shot! Your GPA is stellar, and your verbal and AW GRE scores are ~90%+.

The California schools are quite competitive, as you know, but you've applied to a well-rounded list of schools.

Good luck!

While there are less competitive programs, there's not really such a thing as an SLP safety school due to the sheer number of applicants and the limited slots available. It's also hard to gauge what some schools are looking for--some seem to emphasize GPA/GRE, others seem to want significant SLP-related practical or research experience, still others seem to value uniqueness and diversity.

I'm an out-of-field applicant with minimal experience, so I made sure to play to my strengths by writing a stellar SOP and making my CV as impressive and relevant as possible.

Where did you apply, lrowe?

Oh, and good luck to you. This is a stressful process, and I commiserate 100%!

So true, about difficult to gauge. Especially with the SOP, I must have made 45 versions of it and sent it out to any consenting adult I've known in academia. CV should be decent. Or not, who knows haha.

I applied to a ton of schools that are outside of my realm of possibility:

University of Arizona, Northwestern, Indiana U - Bloomington, UC Boulder (like everyone else, apparently), Emerson, Ithaca, U Pitt, Temple U, MGH

Thank you for wishing me good luck! To you as well :)  I like knowing that even though the admissions numbers are cutthroat in this field, the people themselves are nice. 

I am a ComDis major, minor in Psych, certificate in Leadership Studies. I have an overall GPA of a 3.77, and 3.8 GPA in the major. But like a lot of people mentioned, my GRE scores aren't the best.. Q148. V152, W4. I feel that I have a strong personal statement though, and I have over 100 hours of volunteering. But I feel like this is still such a long shot. I wish I could just shut my graduate school brain off for the time being so I can stop obsessing about it! Lol. Oh well.. Some of the schools I applied to are Eastern Michigan Univ, UMass-Amherst, Univ of Ctrl FL, Florida International Univ, Florida Atlantic Univ.. plus 2 others that I now realize I may as well have not applied to because my GRE is not good enough. That's okay though, I'm really hoping for Eastern Michigan and I think I just may have a chance. Anyone else apply to these schools?

I think you have a real shot because...you have a real shot! Your GPA is stellar, and your verbal and AW GRE scores are ~90%+.

The California schools are quite competitive, as you know, but you've applied to a well-rounded list of schools.

Good luck!

Thanks, I still get a little stressed out.  It seems like everybody that I know who is applying have similar stats as mine.  

Thank you for wishing me good luck! To you as well :)  I like knowing that even though the admissions numbers are cutthroat in this field, the people themselves are nice. 

I agree. The people here (and on gradcafe in general) are nice and supportive.

All I can say is February's going to be a loooong month!

I am a ComDis major, minor in Psych, certificate in Leadership Studies. I have an overall GPA of a 3.77, and 3.8 GPA in the major. But like a lot of people mentioned, my GRE scores aren't the best.. Q148. V152, W4. I feel that I have a strong personal statement though, and I have over 100 hours of volunteering. But I feel like this is still such a long shot. I wish I could just shut my graduate school brain off for the time being so I can stop obsessing about it! Lol. Oh well.. Some of the schools I applied to are Eastern Michigan Univ, UMass-Amherst, Univ of Ctrl FL, Florida International Univ, Florida Atlantic Univ.. plus 2 others that I now realize I may as well have not applied to because my GRE is not good enough. That's okay though, I'm really hoping for Eastern Michigan and I think I just may have a chance. Anyone else apply to these schools?

Have you checked ASHA EdFind and the results board here to get an idea of past applicants' stats? I think you're competitive, even with lower GRE scores. Some programs have surprisingly encompassing average ranges for the GRE (e.g., I'm applying to UVA, and their quant range is 142 to 158!); I assume they focus more on other application elements like experience and SOPs as I've also seen applicants with amazing numbers get rejected.

Congrats!  I'm in Cohort 13.  It's great!

Thank you. I just want to tell everyone don't be discouraged. I just got in a California school and my undergrad gpa is 3.2 in Business and CDS gpa is 3.7.  My gre scores weren't great (145 V/150 Q, 4.0 ).  My essay was well written.  I also got my SLPA license and have been working as a sub SLPA since September.  Don't think you need a perfect GPA and GRE score to be accepted. Just try your best.   I worried soo much and lost so much sleep over-analyzing everything.  It's okay to be human! :)

My stats are GRE V-148- Q-140 Analytical 4.0 not impressive I have a BA in theatre arts with a non impressive 2.44 from 2003 adn i was out of school for 10 years in the entertainment industry and went back to csuf my post bac CD gpa is 3.63 . what are my chances of getting in? I volunteer at st. jude hospital. and am in Nsshla and Autism U awareness laision

So true, about difficult to gauge. Especially with the SOP, I must have made 45 versions of it and sent it out to any consenting adult I've known in academia. CV should be decent. Or not, who knows haha.

I applied to a ton of schools that are outside of my realm of possibility:

University of Arizona, Northwestern, Indiana U - Bloomington, UC Boulder (like everyone else, apparently), Emerson, Ithaca, U Pitt, Temple U, MGH

Did you finish your application for Temple? I'm contemplating whether or not I should send them my CV. It's a hassle not being able to email or upload our supporting documents!