SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

My school doesn't use them either, just A, AB, B, BC, etc.  However, an A is a 94% and above, and I feel like not all schools do that, and I feel like that takes down my GPA.  Say if I get a 92 in a class, that's an AB (worth 3.5), whereas anywhere else that would be an A. 

Although a professor on our admissions boards did say that they also slightly consider where you got said grade, meaning that if you get say a 3.8 from a very tough institution, vs a 4.0 from a not so tough institution, that they do take that into account when looking at GPAs and qualifications. 

Oh well I guess. 

Now if only we would get letters.  I mean these people can't have anything better to do on a Saturday night as decide these things...right?  (Note the sarcasm :P)

My school has a +/- system, but departments decide whether they use it/what the grading scale is :( One of my majors chooses to do +/-,  and the other does not.

Last year, in a class from the first department, my final grade was 93.8, which was recorded as "A-".

In a class from  the 2nd department, my final grade was an 89.0, but it was recorded as "A".

It'd be nice if they could at least standardize within the university... o.0

And my alma mater awards A+ grades, but they're mostly for show as they're weighted the same as an A (4.0). An A- is worth a 3.67, a B+ 3.3, etc. There are pros and cons to every grading scale depending on the sort of student someone is.

Anyway, I don't think these small differences will really affect someone's chances since schools tend to take a holistic approach to admissions, and adcoms are well aware that grading scales differ.

Has anyone else already filled out the FAFSA and sent it to your prospective schools, or are you waiting to see where you get in?  We are going to do our taxes probably in the next week or so, and then immediately start on the FAFSA ... I hope I'm not too far behind on it... from what I saw on my schools' websites, it didn't look like it was required beforehand.  I double-checked on UNC-CH's site and it says to do FAFSA after admitted and not before.  hmm.... 

I know it sounds lame, but the last two times I applied for school- once for undergrad and once for my first graduate degree, my mom volunteered to do all of my fafsa stuff since it was their finances involved in it, so this is a first for me having to do the fafsa for my own school. We did it for my husband's masters degree program but that was via the schools instruction and timeline which was emailed to us once he was accepted. I wish all of this was a little bit easier! How about "we are both working now, but for school, I won't be working, so gimme money!" ;-)

I know it sounds lame, but the last two times I applied for school- once for undergrad and once for my first graduate degree, my mom volunteered to do all of my fafsa stuff since it was their finances involved in it, so this is a first for me having to do the fafsa for my own school. We did it for my husband's masters degree program but that was via the schools instruction and timeline which was emailed to us once he was accepted. I wish all of this was a little bit easier! How about "we are both working now, but for school, I won't be working, so gimme money!" ;-)

Not lame at all! Or I'm lame with you because my husband's filling out mine. He does the taxes, too; he's type-A and would double-check if I did them anyway!

I'll be lucky to get an unsubsidized loan to cover tuition since our EFC will be high due to my husband's job.

The financials worry me, but my future salary will more than make up for it if I'm lucky enough to get in.

My school has a +/- system, but departments decide whether they use it/what the grading scale is :( One of my majors chooses to do +/-,  and the other does not.

Last year, in a class from the first department, my final grade was 93.8, which was recorded as "A-".

In a class from  the 2nd department, my final grade was an 89.0, but it was recorded as "A".

It'd be nice if they could at least standardize within the university... o.0

My school lets every professor set their grading scale.  I would have a 4.0 for my postbac classes were it not  an A- in the first one, which was a 93!  Argh!

Here is the link to the 2013 SLP Admissions thread:  

I know some people are having a hard time finding it.  I'm not sure why it's not searchable...

I have no idea why it's hard to find, and I was the person who started that thread. I clearly see it every time I visit the SLP subforum.

Weird!

Just received my first rejection - NYU :( I'm quite certain my GRE score is going to hold me back from most places I applied, but the unfortunate thing is that I didn't have time to retake the exam if I wanted to meet the Jan 1st app deadline. Anyone else hearing from SLP programs yet? Has anyone been accepted to a program with mediocre GRE scores?

Totally stressing ....

You can get federally subsidized loans, however ... and I heard on facebook that there is a proposal for a federal bill to make SLP's eligible for loan forgiveness if they work in a high-needs area (which is in rural areas for SLP) -- there might be some options for you.  At least, that's what I'm banking on.  :-) 

You can get federally subsidized loans, however ... and I heard on facebook that there is a proposal for a federal bill to make SLP's eligible for loan forgiveness if they work in a high-needs area (which is in rural areas for SLP) -- there might be some options for you.  At least, that's what I'm banking on.  :-) 

Someone in financial aid told me that graduate students can only receive unsubsidized loans. But the latter part of what you said is definitely true and something else I've heard. If you work for the school system, for example, for a certain amount of years, your loans can be forgiven.

Here's an article

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-graduate-schools/paying/articles/2012/03/13/grad-students-to-lose-federal-loan-subsidyhttp://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-graduate-schools/paying/articles/2012/03/13/grad-students-to-lose-federal-loan-subsidy

:(

Edited by Umami

Right -- I meant to say federally unsubsidized loans -- you're right. That means you can be on deferment while in school.

You can also apply for private loans with Sallie Mae.

I got an email from my discover card that they are now offering student loans -- I'm going to look into that option too. "student loans" usually means deferred repayment, or maintaining very small payments on auto-draft (like $25 a month)- so while the overall amount at the end is going to be kind of high, it will be worth it.

Here is the ASHA page with FAQ's on the current student loan forgiveness program:

http://www.asha.org/advocacy/FAQLoanForgiveness.htm

Here is some info about the new student loan forgiveness program being proposed for SLP's and audiologists, which may help those of us who want to work outside of a school. The petition for this new bill -- to give loan forgiveness for SLP's and Aud's in "scarcity areas" is here:

http://www.capwiz.com/asha2/issues/alert/?alertid=62413836

Edited by kcald716

• 2 weeks later...

Right -- I meant to say federally unsubsidized loans -- you're right. That means you can be on deferment while in school.

You can also apply for private loans with Sallie Mae.

I got an email from my discover card that they are now offering student loans -- I'm going to look into that option too. "student loans" usually means deferred repayment, or maintaining very small payments on auto-draft (like $25 a month)- so while the overall amount at the end is going to be kind of high, it will be worth it.

Here is the ASHA page with FAQ's on the current student loan forgiveness program:

http://www.asha.org/advocacy/FAQLoanForgiveness.htm

Here is some info about the new student loan forgiveness program being proposed for SLP's and audiologists, which may help those of us who want to work outside of a school. The petition for this new bill -- to give loan forgiveness for SLP's and Aud's in "scarcity areas" is here:

http://www.capwiz.com/asha2/issues/alert/?alertid=62413836

Unfortunately this will never get funded. Luckily the student loan forgiveness set up by Barry will help a bit. 

Did anyone else apply to these schools/know when they will let us know by?

EAST CAROLINA

UNC GREENSBORO

EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNV.

WORCESTER STATE UNV.

CLEVELAND STATE UNV.

ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Thanks and good luck!

East Carolina will notify around the fifteenth of March, giving the first wave up to April 15th to respond to the offer.

UNC greensboro is expected to notify between march 8th and April 15th, at which point I am guessing that the wait listed people will be offered spots that may have been refused by the first wave.

I didn't apply to the others, but if I don't get in this year, I am adding Armstrong Atlantic, UGA, GSU, and ETSU to my list

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the student loans, the federally subsidized loans are the loans that do not accrue interest while in deferment  not the unsubsidized loan.  And they are available to grad students; I have a Master's in Music, and have a bit of subsidized loans left over from that.  I think the 10 year payment plan is for suckers; SLPs should make enough $ where we can pay 3x the minimum monthly payment, and be debt free within a few years of graduation.  Remember, federal loans, subsidized or not, still have a 6.8% interest rate.  That can really add up.  Things like new cars, homes, vacations should be put on hold for a few years.  Delayed gratification!