SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Well I have taken sign language and loved it so I have been looking for programs that would let me continue using those skills and work with the hard of hearing/deaf while in school which is why Nazareth's program is amazing. I like Gallaudet because while they dont have a deaf specialty program like Nazareth you have to take 3 classes of ASL and they let you take extra classes on Aural rehabilitation and you are basically surrounded by deaf culture since every other program has a majority of deaf students in them. I am in a club called Signing Gators and we've watched clips and talked to students going there during our meetings via Skype and they all gad great things to say about it. Plus the price is great lol.

I haven't visited either but I have been to Washington for a two days and loved it there. My friend who is applying at the same time did though. She said the campus and facilities were great, the campus isn't in that great an area though. She also said the campus was really empty and quiet (which I guess you should expect seeing as how everyone signs) and she was there on a weekday for like two hours. So I would really have to go check it out beforehand if I got in but as it stands right now I could see myself going there. I am planning on retaking ASL 2 and 3 because as it stands my signing skills are rusty so I hope to be up to par when I graduate.

When do you expect to hear back from them? Good luck!

I have heard nothing from Gallaudet! Although I submitted my application mid January, I just received a confirmation email that my app was complete and ready for review on 2/16. I might shoot them an email on monday, so if I hear anything, I will let you guys know!

I only applied to schools in DC and MD because I have a house, fiance, and lots of dogs here...so to tell you the truth, I applied to Gallaudet without knowing that much about it. I have NO experience with deaf/hard of hearing populations, so I thought I might be behind others...but maybe not... Thanks for the info gator

stephpop - have you heard anything from Gallaudet yet? or know when we should expect to hear?

Maddie! Finally someone else who is applying to some of the same schools as me! I inquired about Loyola a week or so ago and was told that decisions would go out towards the end of March.

I have heard nothing from Gallaudet! Although I submitted my application mid January, I just received a confirmation email that my app was complete and ready for review on 2/16. I might shoot them an email on monday, so if I hear anything, I will let you guys know!

I only applied to schools in DC and MD because I have a house, fiance, and lots of dogs here...so to tell you the truth, I applied to Gallaudet without knowing that much about it. I have NO experience with deaf/hard of hearing populations, so I thought I might be behind others...but maybe not... Thanks for the info gator

No you wont be behind at all. The program doesn't require that you be proficient in ASL before you apply. However to take a tour of the campus you have to request an interpreter if you dont know ASL so outside the program, not knowing ASL around campus might be awkward. I would definitely visit the campus if you get in, before you make your decision since the majority of the students/staff are deaf/heard of hearing outside the SLP program.

For everyone who have an interview at the University of Tennessee Knoxville, what are your stats? Also did CSDCAS mail your application? Mine still says not mailed.I do not think it is looking to good for me there. Thanks!

3.2 undergrad

3.5 postbacc

1010 (not happy about this, either)

A few years working with autistic children in various settings as well as residential facilities for abused/neglected teenagers and children. Shadowing experience in various settings and a little work in Aud labs throughout the last few months.

The UT interview was pretty informal. The professor talked to me a little bit about some notes she had made based on my chart and then asked if I had any questions. It was laid back. Don't fret over it!

Mine seemed a tad more formal than that. We discussed goals and objectives as far as what I wanted out of the program, living and working in Knoxville, my areas of interest, strengths/weaknesses and so on. She stated that she would run the application up to be processed and then signed by whoever had to sign it. I called again to check on the status a few days later and they said it was being mailed out this coming week. Is this interview done for ALL prospective students? I've heard other programs only interview admitted students just so the student can get a feel about the program and faculty.

I applied to University of Texas-Pan American, Texas State University-San Marcos, Our Lady of the Lake, and University of Houston

Has anyone heard anything from these schools? (Most importantly TSU, and UofH)

Maddie! Finally someone else who is applying to some of the same schools as me! I inquired about Loyola a week or so ago and was told that decisions would go out towards the end of March.

stephpop - :) I visited Gallaudet, Towson, and Loyola, and I really like all of them. The faculty at Loyola seems very helpful and students seem to be happy. Gallaudet was a very interesting experience, but one that I enjoyed. The faculty members are extremely nice and helpful. I'd be very happy if I got into any of them! fingers crossed!! which school is your top choice?

stephpop - :) I visited Gallaudet, Towson, and Loyola, and I really like all of them. The faculty at Loyola seems very helpful and students seem to be happy. Gallaudet was a very interesting experience, but one that I enjoyed. The faculty members are extremely nice and helpful. I'd be very happy if I got into any of them! fingers crossed!! which school is your top choice?

I see you're applying to WKU as well...have you heard anything from them lately?

I see you're applying to WKU as well...have you heard anything from them lately?

hi sls - I applied to the online program at WKU - if you did too, I believe we should be hearing by the end of the month! :-/

Edited by maddie4luv

I applied to University of Texas-Pan American, Texas State University-San Marcos, Our Lady of the Lake, and University of Houston

Has anyone heard anything from these schools? (Most importantly TSU, and UofH)

I heard from the university of Houston, but that may be because I was a 'special' scenerio, being an international student and out of major (double wammy hehe). I haven't heard from Texas State - San Marcos at all and I am not sure which method they use to release their results. I really wish I would have heard back from everyone already because I need to start looking into housing situations!! I'm debating giving Texas State a call, but I have no idea if all the schools are on their spring breaks now? They usually take a week or more to respond to emails...

Thanks Maddie. I am an out-of-field applicant (animal science major) but I took my SLP prereqs at University of MD college park. I loved MOST of the faculty (all but one who will remain nameless, but who holds an important position in the grad program) and just thought that would be the best choice because I was already familiar with it.

However, I really enjoyed my visits to Towson, Loyola, and GWU. Although I wasn't that impressed with Towson's clinic, they are in the process of renovating a building which will house the speech and hearing clinic, the kinesiology, and the autism clinics. How cool is that! It should be ready by this fall!. I like the fact that almost 100% of Towson's professors/faculty still do clinical work. Although I am interested in some aspects of research, I am way more interested in the clinical aspect, so that's important to me.

Loyola has coursework schedule that is favorable to getting clinical placements. Also they have some neat programs for children with autism, like a dance/acting program. Also, Loyola is 15 mins from my house...which rocks. If price and distance from my house were not issues, GWU would probably be my first choice...

I really hope you get into Towson and Loyola, and any other school you are interested in!

I heard from the university of Houston, but that may be because I was a 'special' scenerio, being an international student and out of major (double wammy hehe). I haven't heard from Texas State - San Marcos at all and I am not sure which method they use to release their results. I really wish I would have heard back from everyone already because I need to start looking into housing situations!! I'm debating giving Texas State a call, but I have no idea if all the schools are on their spring breaks now? They usually take a week or more to respond to emails...

I heard Texas State was going to notify the persons accepted via email. I just don't know when exactly. I believe they are on spring break as of this week, so I am expecting to hear something the week of the 21st as that is when i expect to hear from OLLU and UTPA.

Edited by Danie813

Congrats! Did you have an interview first, or were you accepted flat-out? I'm waiting to hear from the Brooklyn campus.

THANKS! I had an interview on the third of march and i received an acceptance email march 10th. it was very quick

Edited by Tall vanilla latte

Is anyone planning on attending UT Austin?

I still haven't heard anything from Texas State.

UT Austin is my top choice as of now! How about you? I would be in the 3-year program since I do not have a SLP background.

Edited by aimsies

Is anyone planning on attending UT Austin?

I still haven't heard anything from Texas State.

Most likely I am going to pass on UT Austin. I am going to fill out the grant app they just emailed out and see if that happens to come through...but it is not my first choice.

Hm, what grant app did they send out?

It is for their ITP (Improving Treatment Practice) program...they included this link --> http://csd.utexas.edu/graduate/implementing-effective-treatment-practices-cld-children with program info. Not exactly my cup of tea but I figure I will try. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Off-topic, but...any other major college basketball fans here? I think that I'm going to decide on my future graduate school by seeing which team goes the furthest in the tournament....a totally scientific and reliable way to decide my academic fate. :P

Hey guys..so im new to this forum. Been reading through the posts and its so good to hear from people out there tgoing through the same nerve wracking process of waiting for replies!!

I got admits from Northwestern, SUNY Buffalo and Ohio University... Any inputs on these programs?? Especially SUNY cuz ive heard very little about them...Im loving Nowrthwestern but they're gonna burn a hole in my pockets! I need to take most of the pre reqs for all these programs as well so...really confused!! Also Northwestern hasnt said anything bout scholarships in the letter...

Still waiting to hear from BU,TC,UIUC, and Vandy...

Hey guys..so im new to this forum. Been reading through the posts and its so good to hear from people out there tgoing through the same nerve wracking process of waiting for replies!!

I got admits from Northwestern, SUNY Buffalo and Ohio University... Any inputs on these programs?? Especially SUNY cuz ive heard very little about them...Im loving Nowrthwestern but they're gonna burn a hole in my pockets! I need to take most of the pre reqs for all these programs as well so...really confused!! Also Northwestern hasnt said anything bout scholarships in the letter...

Still waiting to hear from BU,TC,UIUC, and Vandy...

It really helps to have the company of other people going through the same thing!

Are you planning on taking the pre-reqs over the summer?

It really helps to have the company of other people going through the same thing!

Are you planning on taking the pre-reqs over the summer?

No not over the summer...If i go with NU or SUNY they have a plan for a leveling/makeup year before i start advanced courses...so i'll complete the program in 3 years. Congrats on your BU admit! Im still waiting to hear from them....