SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Anyone heard from Florida or know when we should expect to hear from them?

I am dying to hear from them! I emailed about two weeks ago and I was told they were aiming for mid-March since they had more applicants than usual (which would probably be this week?). Then I called today and was told "I don't know, I have no idea." So now I'm just sitting here waiting and waiting!! :(

Yay I got my first acceptance!! I'm definitely going to be an SLP! I'm so happy and excited right now :D

congratulations! i totally get how it feels to keep waiting for that one acceptance. have you already taken prerequisites, or will you be doing a longer program?

congratulations! i totally get how it feels to keep waiting for that one acceptance. have you already taken prerequisites, or will you be doing a longer program?

Thank you! Getting two straight rejections was definitely not fun, but now that I have an acceptance I'm so much calmer about this month. I haven't taken any prereqs yet, so I'll be doing a ~3 year progam.

Well, got rejected from Columbia. I was holding out hope but alas it is not meant to be. I am waitlisted at NYU so maybe there's still a chance my husband and I won't have to live apart for two years....

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with NYU, you never know!

Thank you! Getting two straight rejections was definitely not fun, but now that I have an acceptance I'm so much calmer about this month. I haven't taken any prereqs yet, so I'll be doing a ~3 year progam.

Yay for us 3-year people getting in and congrats on your acceptance!!!

Got into Boston University today but there is no way I can go without funding and I wasn't offered a scholarship. Tuition is over 40k/year! Crazy. Congrats to others who got in and double congrats to those with funded offers :)

Well, got rejected from Columbia. I was holding out hope but alas it is not meant to be. I am waitlisted at NYU so maybe there's still a chance my husband and I won't have to live apart for two years....

So sorry to hear. I'm staring down the barrel of being away from my fiance as well, and the idea is killing me all of the sudden :(

Edited by jkathleen

I'm curious about FSU. According to petersons they have about a 40% acceptance rate (probably slightly lower this year), but USF has a 27% acceptance rate ( I verified this with some faculty there). I would think my stats are at least waitlist-worthy for FSU if USF accepted me 2 days earlier... assuming petersons.com is at least somewhat accurate. This said, one of my professors sent her recommendation letter in late (1/29/12), and FSU's deadline is 1/15 for some weird reason. Does anybody know if this would explain why I was rejected from FSU? I'm not terribly broken up about it; I'm just curious. I mean it couldn't possibly be that competitive.

Edited by hellbeast78

I'm curious about FSU. According to petersons they have about a 40% acceptance rate (probably slightly lower this year), but USF has a 27% acceptance rate ( I verified this with some faculty there). I would think my stats are at least waitlist-worthy for FSU if USF accepted me 2 days earlier... assuming petersons.com is at least somewhat accurate. This said, one of my professors sent her recommendation letter in late (1/29/12), and FSU's deadline is 1/15 for some weird reason. Does anybody know if this would explain why I was rejected from FSU? I'm not terribly broken up about it; I'm just curious. I mean it couldn't possibly be that competitive.

I'm not sure, I was a bit surprised about the flat-out rejection from FSU too. I wonder if they even have a wait list? Surely they do...

Maybe they just got a looot more applications this year?

I'm not sure, I was a bit surprised about the flat-out rejection from FSU too. I wonder if they even have a wait list? Surely they do...

Maybe they just got a looot more applications this year?

I feel like sometimes schools will reject you if your stats are TOO high. It's kinda odd but I can (sort of) understand the reasoning behind it. Grad schools talk to each other and if they know you have a good chance of being accepted at a higher ranked, "better" school they won't bother sending an acceptance to someone who will turn them down. I know that if you apply from UW (with high stats) to western your chances of getting in to western are really low (or they have been in the past), because the people on the admissions committee know that people are applying there as a "safety" school. I don't know enough about the schools in FL to know if that is the case with FSU but it wouldn't surprise me. I doubt that the recommendation letter factored in to the decision making. It wasn't that late and schools understand that there are some things that are out of your control. Honestly this whole thing confuses me haha.

Does anyone have a certain way they are "rating" their options? I have so many different things I look for in a program and area, I'm having a hard time pin pointing what is most important. I would love to attend TC at Columbia and get a great experience living in the city but don't want to be in debt the rest of my life! Other schools may be a little cheaper, not by much (all of my schools are out of state) but the living experience would not be as exciting. And I love different things about each program. So if anyone has advice on how they are making their decisions...Please share!

Yay I got my first acceptance!! I'm definitely going to be an SLP! I'm so happy and excited right now :D

Congratulations!!! Never lose hope right? I'm sure there are more to come! =]

Got into Boston University today but there is no way I can go without funding and I wasn't offered a scholarship. Tuition is over 40k/year! Crazy. Congrats to others who got in and double congrats to those with funded offers :)

BIG CONG! BU is my dream school but I doubt I have any chance though, it's such a a reach school for me. I think without a scholarship you can still get partial subsidize through TA/RAs right? Have you checked any external scholarship resources? It's really an awesome school, I have been shadowing a BU alumna for more than 6 months now and she has taught me so much both professionally and personally. Just made me really interested to go to that school as well.

BTW, 100% acceptance rate is just wayyyyy amazing. =)

Edited by JenniferD

BIG CONG! BU is my dream school but I doubt I have any chance though, it's such a a reach school for me. I think without a scholarship you can still get partial subsidize through TA/RAs right? Have you checked any external scholarship resources? It's really an awesome school, I have been shadowing a BU alumna for more than 6 months now and she has taught me so much both professionally and personally. Just made me really interested to go to that school as well.

BTW, 100% acceptance rate is just wayyyyy amazing. =)

Thanks, still 3 more to go though so I'm sure I'll ruin the streak at some point :P just grateful to have options.

Yeah, there is still the possibility of an assistantship, I'm not sure how much it will cover though. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't write them off so quickly, I've never visited before so maybe I should make the trip for the open house. I've heard awesome things about the program, but with the tuition being so high plus a high cost of living, I just don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives when I have other funded offers...we'll see I guess!

Good luck with the rest of your apps! I hope Pitt gets back to us earlier than they usually do...

(edited for typos :))

Edited by SLP-Allie

@trina - no $$ offer or anything-- just a call trying to get me to accept.

Has anyone decided on Rush yet? I'm definitely going there - just curious to hear back from Northwestern at this point.

when i spoke to dr. kempster last year, i was told that they had about 5 scholarships to give out, amounting to $15,000 each. i'm curious if anyone has been offered these scholarships yet. i love the medical emphasis at rush and all their awesome medical placements, BUT i'm not sure if i want to graduate with that much debt. purdue will cost me a third of that.. but i haven't actually spoken to any grad students about whether they like the program. does anyone out here know anything about the purdue program at all? i just haven't heard anything about purdue at all, good or bad.

anyway, i'll probably decide after attending the open house for both schools. when i applied, i didn't even think i'd have a choice. i was just going to attend the only school that accepted me. ;)

Edited by trina

Did anyone else not hear from U of South Florida yet? Getting nervous over here... thanks! :)

I have pretty much given up on getting good news from USF. I just checked the admissions video on their website, and it stated that they usually fill the class with the first round of acceptances. The video says that last year, they sent out 90-100 acceptances and got 70 "yes" responses. Having not received anything from them yet, I'm assuming that I didn't make the cut for the first round. C'est la vie! I know I shouldn't be bummed - I have already been accepted to several programs, a luxury many people don't have - but it still stings!

*edited to say USF, not UCF! i switch those two constantly :)

Edited by pangea

when i spoke to dr. kempster last year, i was told that they had about 5 scholarships to give out, amounting to $15,000 each. i'm curious if anyone has been offered these scholarships yet. i love the medical emphasis at rush and all their awesome medical placements, BUT i'm not sure if i want to graduate with that much debt. purdue will cost me a third of that.. but i haven't actually spoken to any grad students about whether they like the program. does anyone out here know anything about the purdue program at all? i just haven't heard anything about purdue at all, good or bad.

anyway, i'll probably decide after attending the open house for both schools. when i applied, i didn't even think i'd have a choice. i was just going to attend the only school that accepted me. ;)

Both of the primary investigators in the labs I've worked in went to Purdue (one for PhD, one for MS & PhD) and loved it. If you're interested in research, I've heard it's awesome. The vast majority of my undergrad deptartment's faculty graduated from there, I only heard good things, though I've never spoken to anyone who wasn't a PhD who went there so I don't know as much about the clinical aspect versus the research side.

I know you didn't ask me this but I'm going to respond anyways haha.

It all depends on where you want to live and where your placements are. I was glad that I had a car despite not using it all that much. I lived walking distance to UW and was two - five blocks away from the grocery store, church, school and the gym. However it was nice to have a car when I needed to go on a big shopping trip or to a friends apartment in the evening (the bus in the evening can be a little sketch). I was also glad I had it when I was done with my post bacc and was working at a pre-school (I had covered secure parking at work and school though so that helped). I also imagine that it is helpful when you have placements off of UWs campus as it will allow for you to have more options when it comes to placements as you will not be restricted to places where you can get to and from easily on the bus.

However, parking is expensive and a pain in the butt. Especially downtown and around UW. Bussing to and from school is most likely the better option. If you were to live bussing/walking/biking distance to UW and everything else you may need (grocery stores, pharmacy etc) I would say you probably don't need a car BUT you should invest in a zipcar membership. There are a ton of zipcar lots in Seattle. I have never used zipcar but it was recommended to me by one of the professors I spoke to at an open house I went to (I have a car but if I end up in Boston or NY don't intend on taking it with me). That way you won't be limited in terms of you placement options. While public transport in Seattle is certainly better than it is in LA it is no where near as far reaching or efficient as Boston, NY, London etc. Another option is to not take a car the first semester or two (when you will have on campus placements) and then either lease or bring up your car once you start doing off campus placements.

To be honest with you, neither option is perfect and you kind of have to suss out the situation once you know where you will be living. Sorry this wasn't a yes or no answer... :unsure:

If you live close enough to campus I really don't think you'll need a car. I needed one because I had to commute to Everette everyday to work (30 miles each way). I'm also the type of person that likes to go exploring a lot, so I really enjoyed having a car to get around the area (and to IKEA!) It would definitely eliminate the whole parking dilemma and the high gas prices up there if you didn't have one though.

Thanks guys! Helps a lot. I was thinking about sticking it out the first year and bringing it for when I have off-site placements as well.

For those who heard back from Teachers College, did you get an email or was it just on your NextStep?

It is really, really nice to have that choice. Congrats!

The debt is a huge thing to consider--good luck making your decision.