Any ChemE's here?

ecnerwalc

Thanks for the input. I still haven't heard from NW. This is what they told me though:

Mellmer:

All final decisions will be made by the end of February. I am unable to provide you with any other information. We are making our way through over 300 applications, and would like to review each application in detail. Please be patient and you will here something by the end February.

The Best,

Keli Change

Graduate Program Assistant

k-change@northwestern.edu

847-491-2773

Thanks Mellmer. That is about what Keli wrote back to me too when I contacted her the last week of Jan. Lets hope we'll hear something soon. Did you apply to Stanford too? I've seen both acceptance and rejections posted on the site but I haven't heard anything. The silent treatment is killing me.

Thanks for the input. I still haven't heard from NW. This is what they told me though:

Mellmer:

All final decisions will be made by the end of February. I am unable to provide you with any other information. We are making our way through over 300 applications, and would like to review each application in detail. Please be patient and you will here something by the end February.

The Best,

Keli Change

847-491-2773

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the chances are probably slim for most schools now. Kinda etting to that point now :(

I didn't apply, but Northwestern ChemE's recruiting weekends were last weekend and this weekend. I'm guessing that chances are pretty slim at this point, unfortunately.

Koirbiku

I didn't apply to Stanford. A lot of people I talked to at the UDel visit had heard back from them though - both acceptances and rejections.

Thanks Mellmer. That is about what Keli wrote back to me too when I contacted her the last week of Jan. Lets hope we'll hear something soon. Did you apply to Stanford too? I've seen both acceptance and rejections posted on the site but I haven't heard anything. The silent treatment is killing me.

Hey...I got this mail from Notre Dame today where they said that my application (for MS) has been put ''on hold''. Can anyone tell me if I stand any chance of admit...or its really rare to get in once you have been waitlisted

The mail says...

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your application to the graduate Chemical Engineering program at the University of Notre Dame. The committee has completed its first round of application reviews, and we are pleased to have a large pool of highly qualified candidates, including yourself. Unfortunately, to maintain the size of our program, we cannot make offers to all the candidates we think have the ability to succeed in graduate school. For that reason, we have placed your application on "hold." We expect to make a final decision on your application by late-March.

We recognize that you are anxious for a positive decision on your application. Trust us that we are doing everything possible to accommodate as many good candidates as possible. Thanks again for your interest in Notre Dame.

Why do you guys want a PhD? I haven't even started my program yet, but I am constantly being asked why I want to have a PhD. I honestly cannot answer that, other than I want a good job, but I don't think I want to go into academia. There have been numerous articles and threads about why doing a PhD is a waste of time and you're screwing yourself over, unless you want to be a lifetime post doct. Please advise.

Mellmer, have you heard anything else from NW?

Mellmer:

The Best,

Keli Change

847-491-2773

I'm guessing the same. Seems like you dont have much to worry about. For me, so far a rejection from Stanford, and no response from other 5 schools I applied to. So, seems like I just have to plan on continuing my job for at least one more year. Good luck with grad school !

I haven't heard anything. I'm just going to assume that I didn't get in. I don't really care though because I already have 10 schools to choose from.

Hi Reac,

I haven't heard from Purdue but saw a few acceptance on the board some time back. I'm guessing its a no from anywhere we haven't heard from now. I have not heard back from anywhere else yet so am preparing for a reject from all the places.

I'm guessing the same. Seems like you dont have much to worry about. For me, so far a rejection from Stanford, and no response from other 5 schools I applied to. So, seems like I just have to plan on continuing my job for at least one more year. Good luck with grad school !

Hi guys,

I've got offers from Rutgers, RPI, U of Houston, TAMU; PhD@ChemE:

As an international student, I do feel it's hard to figure out which one is the best.

What do you guys think? Many thanks for your reply.

PS: Still waiting for UCLA and CMU, with slim hope of being accepted, sigh!!!

I just got rejected from an okay ranked school. I was totally shocked because I was accepted to another school that is ranked about the same and another school that is much higher ranked. Getting accepted wouldn't have made a difference since I am pretty much going to the better school but it came as a total shock. Acceptances seem quite random..