Near Eastern Studies 2011

hadoule

An acceptance email from the Department at GT. On the waitlist for a tuition scholarship. I applied for FLAS but there is no mention of FLAS in my email. Perhaps I was already rejected? Everyone seems to be getting slightly different letters.

Also waiting to hear on the GT PhD in Comparative Politics (a joint program), which I assume is a "no".

Edited by wannabee

Thanks for all the feedback on NYU! and yes I am interested in Modern Middle Eastern History. My scholarship is not an FLAS.

I agree with Samarkand...(and indeed "prestige" was a misplaced term)...I have a very definite research interest right now that I believe I have developed over time, and I really wanted to go straight into researching and writing on it, but I guess I will have to use my Master's time towards developing it further (perhaps improving my reading Arabic and elementary French as well)... the reason I mentioned Columbia is because it seems a very good fit for my concentration.

Which programs have strength in the Levant and Egypt?

Edited by ans.diffident

Thanks for all the feedback on NYU! and yes I am interested in Modern Middle Eastern History. My scholarship is not an FLAS.

I agree with Samarkand...(and indeed "prestige" was a misplaced term)...I have a very definite research interest right now that I believe I have developed over time, and I really wanted to go straight into researching and writing on it, but I guess I will have to use my Master's time towards developing it further (perhaps improving my reading Arabic and elementary French as well)... the reason I mentioned Columbia is because it seems a very good fit for my concentration.

Which programs have strength in the Levant and Egypt?

Columbia, definitely, and NYU.

Samarkand, if it is what it is, HUGE congratulations!

Although if that it is what it is, I am not in since I didn't get a magic e-mail!laugh.gif

What's your top choice?

Many many thanks! Yes, it turned out to be an acceptance, because I got the package later in the day. I was also accepted into Yale, so now must decide between the two. Originally Yale was my top choice, but after getting this acceptance, I don't know! :) Congratulations also on all your acceptances, it seem like it's going to be a hard decision for you as well! :D

Edited by samarkand

Many many thanks! Yes, it turned out to be an acceptance, because I got the package later in the day. I was also accepted into Yale, so now must decide between the two. Originally Yale was my top choice, but after getting this acceptance, I don't know! :) Congratulations also on all your acceptances, it seem like it's going to be a hard decision for you as well! :D

Alf Mabrook! (as i break into a series of zaghareet)

Hey forum, I need some advice, and I'm very upset: so it looks like NYU lost my transcripts (!!!) even though when I called in January they told me that my application was complete. I just found out about it this morning, and I emailed them my transcripts as soon as the department secretary emailed me. Does this mean I'm an auto-reject?

I'd love some thoughts!

Thank you

Alex

Hey forum, I need some advice, and I'm very upset: so it looks like NYU lost my transcripts (!!!) even though when I called in January they told me that my application was complete. I just found out about it this morning, and I emailed them my transcripts as soon as the department secretary emailed me. Does this mean I'm an auto-reject?

I'd love some thoughts!

Thank you

Alex

Alex,

No. NYU accepts electronic transcripts, and only needs official ones after you have been accepted.

So the last two on my list:

Columbia MESAAS-PhD

UPenn NELC-PhD

Anyone have esoteric knowledge about acceptances & rejections?

yeah I'm waiting on Columbia as well. I think people were saying different things as to when they were supposed to give word. Late March?

Does anyone know if Columbia's MESAAS decisions take longer if you've also applied to ICLS? Because the wait is already driving me crazy.

Got my Columbia decision a couple of minutes ago. I am not being particularly popular with the East Coast. laugh.gif

Still waiting on Columbia MESAAS (PhD)....

I see four rejections on the board, but no acceptances or waitlists. (In fact, there are no acceptances or waitlists for any year for the PhD in MESAAS). Is anyone else still waiting on this?

Dr. Rashid Khalid is speaking this Sunday at AUC on events after Tunis and Tahrir. I will have to restrain myself from getting up and demanding to know what has happened to my application. Definitely not a good idea....

I still haven't heard back anything, My focus is on law and ethics, so Hallaq and Messick and others are more relevant to me.

I see four rejections on the board, but no acceptances or waitlists. (In fact, there are no acceptances or waitlists for any year for the PhD in MESAAS). Is anyone else still waiting on this?

Dr. Rashid Khalid is speaking this Sunday at AUC on events after Tunis and Tahrir. I will have to restrain myself from getting up and demanding to know what has happened to my application. Definitely not a good idea....

Bukharan, did you apply to MESAAS or History at Columbia?

It was MESAAS. I think the fact that you were not rejected with the first group is a good sign. All the best to those of you (alyanumbers, Selim III, wannabee, Bunter, others) who are still waiting! rolleyes.gif

wannaabee, I see you are "out" at UPenn. Is this for NELC, polit sci, or history?

wannaabee, I see you are "out" at UPenn. Is this for NELC, polit sci, or history?

Political science... Most of my applications were in political science (comparative) with some in Middle Eastern/Near Eastern studies programs.

Edited by wannabee