2024 Application Thread

dr. t

On 1/30/2024 at 6:58 PM, historianmusicologist118 said:

Do schools release results by spurts/alphabetical order?

Generally no. If the school you're hoping for has released some results and you haven't heard, that's almost certainly bad news.

3 hours ago, obk90 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Johns Hopkins for History (not History of Medicine)?

I haven't... I keep checking, but haven't heard anything in my email, the portal hasn't changed, and the results page is silent for our program.

Anyone hear from the history of science (direct entry) of university of Toronto? Saw acceptances a few weeks ago but still received nothing……check the portal everyday but it’s still ‘Submitted.’ Wondering if this is a kind of silence rejection :(

Still waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and UMich (History and WGS joint PhD). Assuming rejection from UPenn because I didn't get an interview! Edit: If anyone has heard from these programs lmk :)

Edited by ndoco2024

1 hour ago, ndoco2024 said:

Still waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and UMich (History and WGS joint PhD). Assuming rejection from UPenn because I didn't get an interview! Edit: If anyone has heard from these programs lmk :)

Haven’t either! (Besides Columbia I didn’t apply) Thinking positive thoughts because this anxiety is eating me up alive. 😕 Fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, ndoco2024 said:

Same for Harvard and Columbia. 

Columbia generally have been released next week in the past, so I wouldn't worry too much about that yet.

For Harvard it feels like there could be so many reasons, e.g. it could be delayed (someone has pointed out that they have sometimes taken until 7th Feb), or POIs no longer allowed to send 'unofficial' acceptance emails. Of course, it is possible that nobody on gradcafe/reddit has got in, but that seems a bit unlikely as there are a lot of us!

Good luck everyone! 

16 hours ago, Pnjok said:

Anyone hear from the history of science (direct entry) of university of Toronto? Saw acceptances a few weeks ago but still received nothing……check the portal everyday but it’s still ‘Submitted.’ Wondering if this is a kind of silence rejection :(

I didn’t apply to U of Toronto, but I just started a topic for history of science/history of medicine program applicants since it’s mostly been quiet

Edited by nyalagyal
specify university name

Anyone else doing a Russian focus? (particularly on 1905-1926)

Applied to PhD programs at Stanford, U Chicago, U Wash, Georgetown, U Penn, Notre Dame and *redacted state school*. 167/158 GRE, 4.0 MA GPA, 3.8 undergrad, but not in particularly elite places. Lots of background language instruction, employment in digital humanities. Good luck to everyone in the thread! I’d be happy anywhere that I can get 100% funding to, including even the MAPSS or other MA deferral programs if push comes to shove. 

I know the "staggered acceptances" theory is the primary means of denial which takes hold in the gap period between acceptances and rejections, but might that really be the case with Johns Hopkins? I have seen acceptances and rejections (and form ones, not POI messages) reported but it's been radio silence for me since interviewing. 

2 hours ago, obk90 said:

I know the "staggered acceptances" theory is the primary means of denial which takes hold in the gap period between acceptances and rejections, but might that really be the case with Johns Hopkins? I have seen acceptances and rejections (and form ones, not POI messages) reported but it's been radio silence for me since interviewing. 

I feel the same way with hopkins... I'm wondering if we're on the second or third choice list and they're waiting to see if someone will drop their acceptance before they tell us no... could be wishful thinking... but like you said I've seen rejections and haven't heard a peep

2 hours ago, obk90 said:

I'm not sure about the current situation at Johns Hopkins, but I can share my experience with NYU. Last year, I applied to that and they announced acceptances and rejections in early February. After a radio silence, I received an acceptance in APRIL, but unfortunately, it did not come with funding. So, it really depends