MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Even in the worst case, you should just keep on trying!

In my case this is my 3rd year applying. once out of undergrad in 2003, then to just hunter in 2008 (both times rejected.. well I got in a SAIC postbac in 2003, but did not want it)

now again.

in between I moved to nyc and made art like crazy, now I think this time I will do OK. but point being, I would not let the rejections get you down too much.

they keep coming, and you keep going. in the end we get to where we need to go.. I think art is like an endurance contest sometimes. if you keep at it you will get by.

Thanks Sarah J. This art life does seem like a roller coaster for the ego. I had a pretty good year for 2010 - got some grants, a residency to VCCA with a fellowship, so I went into the MFA process feeling pretty confident. Now however, I'm feeling pretty low. The confidence is short lived. I don't like the idea of waiting another year; it's been 5 years already since I graduated. I'm ready for school universe! Somebody accept me! ( that's me yelling to the universe in hopes of someone hearing).

Since Michigan rejected me, I think I am going to add an application to SFAI - they're still accepting applications after the priority deadline. I was toying with the idea of applying initially to SFAI but didn't for some reason. ( I'm scared of the cost.) I have heard mixed comments about SFAI but generally that they are good for painting. Anybody know anything about low-residency programs? I am going to apply to the Summer MFA program.

I'm thinking that most of us will hear something from somewhere within the next 9 or 10 days. How hard is it to not pick up the phone, call schools and be like "soooooo.....what's my status?!" You all will laugh, but I remember being a freshman in high school and getting cut from cheerleading tryouts and I cried for a day. Seems funny now, but I remember the extreme disappointment and don't wanna go through it again. I'll be happy even if I get accepted to 1 in ten, so I'm not even asking for much!

Thanks Sarah J. This art life does seem like a roller coaster for the ego. I had a pretty good year for 2010 - got some grants, a residency to VCCA with a fellowship, so I went into the MFA process feeling pretty confident. Now however, I'm feeling pretty low. The confidence is short lived. I don't like the idea of waiting another year; it's been 5 years already since I graduated. I'm ready for school universe! Somebody accept me! ( that's me yelling to the universe in hopes of someone hearing).

Since Michigan rejected me, I think I am going to add an application to SFAI - they're still accepting applications after the priority deadline. I was toying with the idea of applying initially to SFAI but didn't for some reason. ( I'm scared of the cost.) I have heard mixed comments about SFAI but generally that they are good for painting. Anybody know anything about low-residency programs? I am going to apply to the Summer MFA program.

I'll tell you this coming from someone who got their BFA at SFAI last year. I wouldn't have changed anything. I loved the school, loved the people there, loved the art scene in SF. Made some great contacts while I was there and learned a lot about my practice. Your experience is what you make it there, the people who complain would have complained no matter what if no one held their hand. The faculty is there to help you if you want to help yourself, it is a very independent program. There is a big gallery on the undergrad campus and the ending show is at Fort Mason in SF and is a pretty big deal in the Bay Area when it happens.

oh, and to add to the FREAKOUT

Just got this from Davis:

"Dear XXXXX,

We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on February 15, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site. Please contact the Art MFA program if you have any questions regarding this decision.

Best regards,Office of Graduate Admissions and Academic Services

University of California, Davis"

FREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

YAY!!!! congrats! hey what year were you at SACI? I have a great friend at SFAI who loves it... you might want to talk to him. I can message you his email if you are interested. He also went to SACI

OMG! I just got an email to schedule an interview with SFAI!

I'm thinking that most of us will hear something from somewhere within the next 9 or 10 days. How hard is it to not pick up the phone, call schools and be like "soooooo.....what's my status?!" You all will laugh, but I remember being a freshman in high school and getting cut from cheerleading tryouts and I cried for a day. Seems funny now, but I remember the extreme disappointment and don't wanna go through it again. I'll be happy even if I get accepted to 1 in ten, so I'm not even asking for much!

Same here....If I just get into one I will be happy.

OK, is it stupid to be freaking out about this:

People have already heard from CCA about getting interviews, it seems. I applied there, and as my portfolio submission I chose the option to provide the URL to my work on my website rather than use slideroom. I feel like something went wrong, because I have been checking my website traffic everyday and still there is nothing from a cca.edu server, nor any hits from zip codes in that area at all. Why are they already setting up interviews with those who make the first cut, if they haven't even looked at some people's (my) work yet? it has been bugging me for a week now. WTF

Any thoughts?

Maybe they haven't looked at everyone's yet. I would email or call and ask.....i seems weird that a school would give the option of opting out of slideroom. Some of my schools required slideroom or a CD, and in addition they gave the option of including a url. When is the deadline? They may be reviewing applications as they come. Also, if the deadline just passed recently, there is the possibility that they haven't rounded up your rec. letters or transcripts yet. I called a school worried about that because they said my app was incomplete...and they said they would accept me as on time if they got my materials within 2 weeks of the deadline. This was because they got such a high volume of mail that transcripts and letters could float around for two weeks before being connected with the other materials in your name.

People have already heard from CCA about getting interviews, it seems. I applied there, and as my portfolio submission I chose the option to provide the URL to my work on my website rather than use slideroom. I feel like something went wrong, because I have been checking my website traffic everyday and still there is nothing from a cca.edu server, nor any hits from zip codes in that area at all. Why are they already setting up interviews with those who make the first cut, if they haven't even looked at some people's (my) work yet? it has been bugging me for a week now. WTF

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

I think you should call them and find out!

you know I would just call them and make sure all of your info was received and that it was passed along to the professors. Cant hurt just to say that you had noticed that your website hasnt had any hits from that area and you just wanted to make sure there weren't technical difficulties.

Any thoughts?

All of my applications required to either send a CD or use slideroom and then had the additional option to also put a URL to your work....so that's a bit strange? I double checked my applications like crazy to make sure I was doing everything right so that's what I remember. I would DEF. call them quickly and either explain your mistake and/or to get more information.

That's my friendly advice! Ah, I know I would be freaking too...GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much you guys, I am going to email them now and try to call them tomorrow. They have really got me confused...This is what it said on the application online:

"Your portfolio can include still images, time-based media, interactive media, and URLs (web pages and websites). The portfolio must be submitted digitally and online only. Our system allows you to create a digital portfolio with required caption information. Digital video upload is also possible.

Please indicate how you will be submitting your portfolio: SlideRoom URL

To submit your digital portfolio via SlideRoom, please go to http://cca.slideroom.com. Please keep in mind that once your portfolio has been uploaded and submitted to the college no further changes can be made. There is $10 administrative fee to use this service. If you experience any technical issues, please email help@slideroom.com for assistance.

To submit your digital portfolio as a website, please indicate the exact URL clearly on your résumé and/or personal statement. (If this is the case, you do not need to also submit a portfolio via SlideRoom.com.)

The deadline to submit the portfolio is January 5, 2011."

god dammit. based on yalls reactions, the problem must be in that i didn't use slideroom, but why would they say this shit? maybe using URLs was just for people with video work? i don't fucking know. FUCK

I applied to CalArts too and used slideroom. I have not heard anything. I figured since people have already gotten interviews they have rejected me. But it still says "application submitted" when I log back in. I think they either have not looked through all the applicants or they are sending me a rejection by snail mail....

caraa: From what that says....it's pretty clear that a website alone was ok! I wouldn't lose sleep over it....I would just call tomorrow. Who knows...maybe there is even some kind of technology that they have that blocks you from seeing that they looked at your site. Or maybe it's their mistake, so letting them know that they forgot to check out the work will make them say, o crap! and then go do it.

Edited by Scolby

hey its cool I would totally feel the same way if I was you. Just call them FIRST thing in the morning, and try and relax... I know it wont be easy, but I'm sure they will try and work with you!!

Thanks so much you guys, I am going to email them now and try to call them tomorrow. They have really got me confused...This is what it said on the application online:

"Your portfolio can include still images, time-based media, interactive media, and URLs (web pages and websites). The portfolio must be submitted digitally and online only. Our system allows you to create a digital portfolio with required caption information. Digital video upload is also possible.

Please indicate how you will be submitting your portfolio: SlideRoom URL

To submit your digital portfolio via SlideRoom, please go to http://cca.slideroom.com. Please keep in mind that once your portfolio has been uploaded and submitted to the college no further changes can be made. There is $10 administrative fee to use this service. If you experience any technical issues, please email help@slideroom.com for assistance.

To submit your digital portfolio as a website, please indicate the exact URL clearly on your résumé and/or personal statement. (If this is the case, you do not need to also submit a portfolio via SlideRoom.com.)

The deadline to submit the portfolio is January 5, 2011."

god dammit. based on yalls reactions, the problem must be in that i didn't use slideroom, but why would they say this shit? maybe using URLs was just for people with video work? i don't fucking know. FUCK

4 schools for me too. I'm a little worried- but pretty sure I found programs that were right for me- Here's to hoping I'm right for them... Good luck Amandapants!

Hello there. This is neat.

I applied to:

NYAA

PAFA

PennDesign

Tyler

Haven't heard anything yet. I'm somewhat regretting only applying to 4 schools when I see the long lists on here. :0

Ditto! I haven't heard from UCSD either and don't think they do interviews??...?? At least according to my google searches, let me know if you find out differently!! Ah, I'm really hoping to hear from them soon!!

Does anyone know if UCSD interviews? Has anyone heard from them yet? What about Cranbrook? I know they interview, is it by phone or in-person? Can't stand the waiting.

hello everyone!

so i'm probably over thinking this, but maybe you kind folks can offer some insight in the area of interviews...do you think there is an advantage for interviewing in person, versus skype or over the phone? I know some schools offer different options for interviewing (especially since many of us are applying to schools all over the country!), but i'd love to get other people's opinions! :)

thanks!