MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Anyone have any insight on the Design and Technology program at Parsons?

From what I understand, it's graphic design and emerging technology all in 1.. and you can sort of make your own path as to which you want to do.

it's art of which technology is the tool. graphic design could be a departure point but is not necessarily the path. the few faculty i know do not do "graphic design" they make socially engaged art that utilizes technology and cannot be traditionally defined. it is more conceptually/philosophically aware than ITP, which relies more on programming. check out works by zach lieberman: he has an mfa form parsons and also teaches there. (that is why he is a good example of the school's direction on both the teacher and student sides)

i don't think it is graphic design the way sva's graphic design is: graphic design job oriented.

it's more of an experimentation field for an alternative direction where you manipulate many disciplines.

heard from saic via snail mail yesterday.....waitlisted :(

the fact that i felt that i did really well in the interview, has me worried....especially with my yale interview coming up later this week :unsure:

the fact that i felt that i did really well in the interview, has me worried....especially with my yale interview coming up later this week :unsure:

Hey! First, off congratulations on getting an interview at Yale- that's a feat in itself!! :)

I'm sorry about your waitlits from SAIC, but it sounds like it's going to work out for you-you've got some great options so congratulations!

good luck on your Yale interview!!

I just wanted to let people on this forum to know I received snail mail from SAIC too,

it seems their decisions are starting to roll out

I've been accepted to their sculpture MFA program- I'm really happy- it was my first choice all along :)

you have fantastic work, i'm sure you'll be fine ;) best of luck at your interview!

Oh interesting... too bad! Thanks for the post.

You applied to the MFA Painting right?

Thanks Cobalt! ACT: Yes MFA Painting. have you heard anything from Columbia? I'm thinking if I haven't heard anything at this point (and RJ indeed means rejected) I should go ahead and send UCLA my statement of intent to register.

No, I haven't heard back from them- I applied to the MFA in Visual Studies though, so it might be different.

Btw, has anyones received any financial aid info from SMFA?

Thanks Cobalt! ACT: Yes MFA Painting. have you heard anything from Columbia? I'm thinking if I haven't heard anything at this point (and RJ indeed means rejected) I should go ahead and send UCLA my statement of intent to register.

Don't psyche yourself out....every program is different and one has no bearing on another. Your work is really strong and the fact that they will see the paintings in person at Yale will help I'm sure.

Best of luck to you this week!

@ECM

is there any advantage to accepting sooner -- e.g. more funding or...? if so then yes, by all means accept. otherwise you have time. but i wouldn't hold out for columbia, unfortunately, not that it is the official word but as you said it seems to be true that columbia has made their calls. what i can say is that they are usually the last school to send out letters (they don't do so until some time in -- usually late -- april).

congrats! ucla is the yale/columbia of the west coast, you could say. i know of someone who picked ucla over yale last year for painting. good luck.

ucla is still silent on the sculpture front....

I have been wondering the exact same thing, I'm waiting to hear back from Rutgers, I emailed them and they said that I would hear back "probably in April" which isn't too helpful, seeing as their deadline is April 8th, oh well, all I can do is hope I hear back before the deadline.:(

I am a bit confused and extremely stressed about financial aid. Are schools obligated to tell you what they are offering before the accept date?

That is the EXACT school I am wondering about. I think I am just going to say yes and hope it works out, seeing as how all I have are crossed out schools for the most part, options are fairly limited. Do you know how many first years typically get an assistantship?

I have been wondering the exact same thing, I'm waiting to hear back from Rutgers, I emailed them and they said that I would hear back "probably in April" which isn't too helpful, seeing as their deadline is April 8th, oh well, all I can do is hope I hear back before the deadline.:(

@ECM

is there any advantage to accepting sooner -- e.g. more funding or...? if so then yes, by all means accept. otherwise you have time. but i wouldn't hold out for columbia, unfortunately, not that it is the official word but as you said it seems to be true that columbia has made their calls. what i can say is that they are usually the last school to send out letters (they don't do so until some time in -- usually late -- april).

congrats! ucla is the yale/columbia of the west coast, you could say. i know of someone who picked ucla over yale last year for painting. good luck.

ucla is still silent on the sculpture front....

Thanks! I'm very excited about my choice. I don't plan on holding out for Columbia and as far as accepting sooner rather than later for funding. . . I figured at this point it's best not to wait. I have yet to receive the email from Admissions with my intent to register info, hopefully it'll come this week.

Good luck with your application to sculpture, I'm sending all my good vibes your way!