MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

I know I hated getting that email just now... terrible!!! Yes I talked to Chris and it was only a computer glitch and there was never an error on their end. He said that the correct departments had recieved the portfolios and that it was only a student view error. I have crossed MICA off my list mentally. But oh well I guess that wasnt the right school for me!!

I am not feeling hopeful about Mt. Royal anymore based on the interview info on this board (odd because I felt Mt. Royal would be a perfect fit for my interdisciplinary practice but no hard feelings). Though I noticed my program changed to Mt. Royal (from Post-bacc) on my slideroom account, just as Chris promised to make sure my portfolio would go to the right program for review. Now I think it's too late, especially if they already sent out interviews. Did your program change to the right one on slideroom?

Did everyone get that email from MICA of their visiting artist list? What a tease...

Just got the list.. OMFG! Kathleen Gilge, Louise Fishman, Fay KU....

I am not feeling hopeful about Mt. Royal anymore based on the interview info on this board (odd because I felt Mt. Royal would be a perfect fit for my interdisciplinary practice but no hard feelings). Though I noticed my program changed to Mt. Royal (from Post-bacc) on my slideroom account, just as Chris promised to make sure my portfolio would go to the right program for review. Now I think it's too late, especially if they already sent out interviews. Did your program change to the right one on slideroom?

Did everyone get that email from MICA of their visiting artist list? What a tease...

Does anyone recommend contacting MFA Fine Art Directors at the schools and reiterating how much one wants to go to the school? Does that sound like pleading? I definitely want to be professional, but for schools that I have not visited, I want to have a personal touch. Think it matters?

Thanks!

I think it would be tacky. I wouldn't help and it might hurt you to be that person.

Does anyone recommend contacting MFA Fine Art Directors at the schools and reiterating how much one wants to go to the school? Does that sound like pleading? I definitely want to be professional, but for schools that I have not visited, I want to have a personal touch. Think it matters?

Thanks!

I think it would be tacky. I wouldn't help and it might hurt you to be that person.

Thank you! It actually takes a lot of pressure on me. I was thinking of flying to NYC to meet with people -- don't you think it helps to "connect" with someone?

Thank you! It actually takes a lot of pressure on me. I was thinking of flying to NYC to meet with people -- don't you think it helps to "connect" with someone?

Are you talking about for this fall (2011) or next fall (2012)? It definitely helps to meet with people, but this is very late in the process to be doing so if you're hoping to attend this fall. Unless you've been invited for an interview or they've specifically asked to meet with you...

I heard that some people received a letter from SAIC already .. I'm waiting.. and waiting... and waiting...

did anyone else get the letter from SAIC??

I received a letter for a painting interview at SAIC this afternoon and one for printmedia on Saturday. Today's letter was dated February 7 and postmarked the 10th.

It does and the visits/portfolio reviews really helped me with that. Also, I didn't really do this, but it's also a good idea to email professors and departments well before application time. After the application deadlines and before the decisions though, many schools won't even talk to you.

Actually this fall. I assume that they may be very busy right now. This is my first time applying and I didn't meet with all the professors or contact them, but I guess I wanted to try to do something, but don't want it to have a negative affect.

Thank you

Are you talking about for this fall (2011) or next fall (2012)? It definitely helps to meet with people, but this is very late in the process to be doing so if you're hoping to attend this fall. Unless you've been invited for an interview or they've specifically asked to meet with you...

Thank you. I did visit schools on the west coast where I live, but not the east coast. I'll just have to leave it up to gods of the grad school...whatever that means.

It does and the visits/portfolio reviews really helped me with that. Also, I didn't really do this, but it's also a good idea to email professors and departments well before application time. After the application deadlines and before the decisions though, many schools won't even talk to you.

I'm still waiting for painting at SAIC too!!! I'm in Virginia...if the letters were postmarked Feb 10th, then I would think I will get mine tomorrow!!! I'm not sure where you are located, but 3 days sounds about right from Chicago to DC. Mayybe 4 days.

I heard that some people received a letter from SAIC already .. I'm waiting.. and waiting... and waiting...

did anyone else get the letter from SAIC??

Yes this is my first acceptance, so yes I am thrilled to know that I have somehwere to go with funding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must admitt I'm still excited to see what happens with my other schools but it does take an enormous amount of preassure off of the rest of the process!

Is that your first acceptance!? Congrats! Now you KNOW you'll end up somewhere...

Just got an e-mail from MICA informing me about upcoming visiting artists addressed to "graduate", which kinds of makes me assume they haven't finished with any choices yet. Weird.

sort of sounds like everyone that applied to MICA got that, i think.

Right, but earlier I thought someone had said they had sent out interviews. I imagine they wouldn't continue sending e-mails to people in the rejection pool.

sort of sounds like everyone that applied to MICA got that, i think.

I agree I dont think that they have made official rejections yet as they may have to reevaluate waitlist options after interviews, perhaps???????? but, still I am not hopeful, but I like your positive attitude and I think your work is incredible and I'm shocked you havent gotten an invite from them!!

Right, but earlier I thought someone had said they had sent out interviews. I imagine they wouldn't continue sending e-mails to people in the rejection pool.

Edited by wannaknow

Yeah, I think that they'll continue to bombard us with information until all of this is over. Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Anyway, a positive attitude is always helpful and inspiring! Good luck with your applications!

i think only mount royal invites have gone out, for those who applied to additional/different programs at MICA.