Questions to ask your advisor

Joesh

What are some good questions to ask your advisor in your first conversation? I'm having a phone conversation tomorrow after a few introductory emails, and trying to think of productive questions to ask to learn about the program and such.

Here is a list of questions I have written up, feel free to add/remove questions from it!!!

- Current projects he/she is working on

- Length of time to complete a PhD

- How the process works if admitted directly to PhD program

- What sort of classes will I be taking or have the option of taking

- What sort of funding options are available from the school

- What sort of funding options he/she may have available

- Process for setting up a campus visitation time

Edited by Joesh

What are some good questions to ask your advisor in your first conversation? I'm having a phone conversation tomorrow after a few introductory emails, and trying to think of productive questions to ask to learn about the program and such.

Here is a list of questions I have written up, feel free to add/remove questions from it!!!

- Current projects he/she is working on

- Length of time to complete a PhD

- How the process works if admitted directly to PhD program

- What sort of classes will I be taking or have the option of taking

- What sort of funding options are available from the school

- What sort of funding options he/she may have available

- Process for setting up a campus visitation time

I'm in the Humanities, but my own personal opinion is that the questions about classes and, possibly, school funding are information you could get on the school's website and these are the kind of questions you wan to avoid asking. Someone may disagree with me, though. Also, I met a PA and asked how long on average it took her advisees to finish the degree and she had no problem answering it honestly. I also asked about the placement record of her most recent PhDs.

Edited by natsteel

For the sciences, I think it's also important to ask how often they meet with their students? Once a week, once a month, once?

How much time are you expected to spend in lab? (just don't ask it in such a way that a 40hr work week will be a hardship)

If there aren't teaching requirements but there are teaching options that you want to pursue, you could ask how they view students who teach one or two semesters.

Some of the more sensitive info may best be asked of graduate students if you visit (they probably won't respond in a documented way)

Edit: Also, if they are a big deal, then you may want to ask how often they are away for conferences, talks, etc.

Edited by SyntheticOrganiker

Try to do as much research about them and the school as possible. It may look bad to ask questions that may be easily answered by the website. It may be better to ask more pointed questions that show that you've done your research. (Ex. "I see that you do research in ________, what are the biggest challenges with doing A or B")

Edit: Also, if they are a big deal, then you may want to ask how often they are away for conferences, talks, etc.

I think that's a great point. Also be sure to understand other commitments they have, too. Department chairs, teaching frequently, etc. One of my current advisors doesn't travel, for example, but is sometimes impossible to get in touch with because of other involvements.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also found that asking graduate students about their experience before interviewing with faculty can be incredibly productive. They'll give you the best idea of what is important at the program. Ask them about their experience broadly, but also ask them what they wish they had asked when they were approaching the program. Also ask how their experience has shifted over time (their first impression on arriving at the program may also highlight areas of concern that you might want to raise in the interview with your POI).