UC, Berkeley

UC, San Diego

UC, Santa Barbara

UIUC

Purdue Univ

GaTech

Virginia Tech

Univ of Michigan, Ann arbor

I have 3 research publications in ACM's International conferences. I was notified today that my latest paper has also been selected for an international journal(scholarly peer review journal). I think it is pretty cool considering that only 25-30% of the papers from the conference where selected for the journal.

should I send this information to the universities? will it aid my application in any way.

Thanks

Shilp

First off - congratulations! Making it to peer review for an article is exciting!

I also have recently heard that an article of mine has been passed on for a double-blind peer review, for a very well-known publication in my field. I thought it would be a great thing to add to my application, but I ran the idea past a few professors, including my former advisor, and they all cautioned that unless I have a firm offer of publication, I should hold off on sending the information on to the schools to which I applied, because there are too many variables at play for it to be more than exciting at this point (i.e., adcomms won't be impressed, apparently).

So, going with their view, I declined the inclination and refrained from sending the information in, and since I trust their judgment, I guess my advice would be, if you get an offer of publication, send that information along, but at this point silence is a better option.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I am from India and have applied for MS ECE fall-2011 at the following univs:

Stanford University

UC, Berkeley

UC, San Diego

UC, Santa Barbara

UIUC

Purdue Univ

GaTech

Virginia Tech

Univ of Michigan, Ann arbor

I have 3 research publications in ACM's International conferences. I was notified today that my latest paper has also been selected for an international journal(scholarly peer review journal). I think it is pretty cool considering that only 25-30% of the papers from the conference where selected for the journal.

should I send this information to the universities? will it aid my application in any way.

Thanks

Shilp

Thanks for the advice. Actually I was notified of the selection for the journal by the conference committee and the list of selected papers is also uploaded on the website. Doesn't it mean that the research paper has been selected for the journal or there is another level to this?

Shilp

First off - congratulations! Making it to peer review for an article is exciting!

I also have recently heard that an article of mine has been passed on for a double-blind peer review, for a very well-known publication in my field. I thought it would be a great thing to add to my application, but I ran the idea past a few professors, including my former advisor, and they all cautioned that unless I have a firm offer of publication, I should hold off on sending the information on to the schools to which I applied, because there are too many variables at play for it to be more than exciting at this point (i.e., adcomms won't be impressed, apparently).

So, going with their view, I declined the inclination and refrained from sending the information in, and since I trust their judgment, I guess my advice would be, if you get an offer of publication, send that information along, but at this point silence is a better option.

Hope that helps.

It sounds like your paper was accepted. You may want to double check this before doing anything but if you can confirm the acceptance I think you should definitely update your app's for a journal publication.

As for helping your application, I can't imagine it would hurt it. I think journals are generally considered somewhat more weighty than conferences by adcoms (not that conferences don't carry weight, what I've heard is conference - good, journal - better). So combined with your conference papers and a journal paper I think it would probably help your application.

Congrats on the paper.

Thanks for the advice. Actually I was notified of the selection for the journal by the conference committee and the list of selected papers is also uploaded on the website. Doesn't it mean that the research paper has been selected for the journal or there is another level to this?

Shilp