MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 hour ago, sweet dreams said:

Hii! Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! So awesome to hear

wondering if anyone has heard about SAIC/Yale/MassArt for painting? Haven't heard anything yet 

Nothing from Yale, but based on grad cafe this is when they sent interview invites for the last 6 years: 

2023: 2/5
2022: 2/1
2021: 2/6

2020: 1/28
2019: 2/1
2018: 2/2

Besides the COVID year, they consistently send them out the first week of February, but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case this year. I'm guessing they received more applicants than ever this year, maybe we will hear back Monday or Tuesday 🤞

Edited by Gaara

Wishing everyone the best of luck this week. Replying towards the question on “why Columbia?” , I had about two- three alumni zoom calls , breaking down my work and seeing if it would be a good fit with faculty. I think any department you go to is what you make of it. Connections/ networking is sort of the game I play. Branded schools didn’t really interest me at first (ex grad student), so it honestly came down towards the faculty. Their artist talks, work, etc.

Faculty for me play an important part. Especially being an ex Alumni from a previous institution where I felt I out grew the program. I used to be very closed minded also and wanted to stay in my comfort zone , and one year I applied to Yale as a dare and got far. (Waitlisted in the end, 2021) So also sort of daring myself to reach further again after taking a year gap from school and finishing a Fulbright in between. 

Not directly related to school application, did anyone hear back on their FAFSA form? Mine still shows 'In Review' after submission on Jan 8. I know this year they are doing things a little differently, but I thought somewhere mentioned that they should be processing the forms in late Jan?

Wondering if anyone here got their FAFSA form 'Processed'?

Has anyone who applied to UC Davis Studio Art heard anything yet? I was looking through last years forum and it seems like people were already getting accepted on January 31st, so I was wondering if its going the same this year? Also, anyone here apply to UW Seattle 3D4M and gotten any response yet?

6 hours ago, Valentine88 said:

Wishing everyone the best of luck this week. Replying towards the question on “why Columbia?” , I had about two- three alumni zoom calls , breaking down my work and seeing if it would be a good fit with faculty. I think any department you go to is what you make of it. Connections/ networking is sort of the game I play. Branded schools didn’t really interest me at first (ex grad student), so it honestly came down towards the faculty. Their artist talks, work, etc.

Faculty for me play an important part. Especially being an ex Alumni from a previous institution where I felt I out grew the program. I used to be very closed minded also and wanted to stay in my comfort zone , and one year I applied to Yale as a dare and got far. (Waitlisted in the end, 2021) So also sort of daring myself to reach further again after taking a year gap from school and finishing a Fulbright in between. 

This is so helpful; thank you so much. I think faculty do make or break; I will research them and see if they align with my practice and how I can learn from them!

7 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Has anyone who applied to UC Davis Studio Art heard anything yet? I was looking through last years forum and it seems like people were already getting accepted on January 31st, so I was wondering if its going the same this year? Also, anyone here apply to UW Seattle 3D4M and gotten any response yet?

Nothing from UW yet. 

8 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

I was interviewed by UC Davis last Thursday, and it seemed like they were interviewing a lot of people that day. They didn't say anything about when I would hear back. 

13 minutes ago, Griselda said:

Just got my UW-Madison rejection in my inbox - kinda figured since I hadn't had an interview request by now.

Back to the grind now - hope y'all get better news today!

Also got my UW-Madison rejection today... hoping for better news soon from my other schools 🤞🏼

Side-note, does anyone have any advice for how to keep a positive mindset while getting rejections? I have been feeling very discouraged after getting rejection after rejection. 

27 minutes ago, Snailz said:

Also got my UW-Madison rejection today... hoping for better news soon from my other schools 🤞🏼

Side-note, does anyone have any advice for how to keep a positive mindset while getting rejections? I have been feeling very discouraged after getting rejection after rejection. 

I feel you on this big time. It goes without saying that rejection is hard to deal with. This past year I have been getting back-to-back rejections on jobs, residencies, grants and open calls. It's been difficult. I like to think of it as a mourning process. I give myself the time and space to feel sad and angry by the rejection (i.e. eat comfort food, be around my friends or family, watch anime, or sometimes just self-isolate for a bit). I don't like to shy away from feeling hurt from the rejection because it helps me get over it and move on to my next goal or game plan. That is why I make sure I don't check my email unless I'm in a space safe enough to feel these hurt feelings, in the case it is a rejection. I don't want to be caught crying in the middle of work hahaha.

19 minutes ago, anxious_applicant26 said:

I feel you on this big time. It goes without saying that rejection is hard to deal with. This past year I have been getting back-to-back rejections on jobs, residencies, grants and open calls. It's been difficult. I like to think of it as a mourning process. I give myself the time and space to feel sad and angry by the rejection (i.e. eat comfort food, be around my friends or family, watch anime, or sometimes just self-isolate for a bit). I don't like to shy away from feeling hurt from the rejection because it helps me get over it and move on to my next goal or game plan. That is why I make sure I don't check my email unless I'm in a space safe enough to feel these hurt feelings, in the case it is a rejection. I don't want to be caught crying in the middle of work hahaha.

It definitely makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in this and I love your outlook on how to handle it. I agree that it is important to allow yourself the space to feel through things. Literally read the email at work and went into my storage room and had a little cry lmaooo but maybe I will mute my notifications while I'm at work to avoid that from happening again 😂😅

2 hours ago, btwnthetides said:

I was interviewed by UC Davis last Thursday, and it seemed like they were interviewing a lot of people that day. They didn't say anything about when I would hear back. 

Alright, thanks! Oh well, not looking good for me then. Such is life

1 hour ago, Snailz said:

I love this whole forum. TBH, that rejection does not validate your creativity. You are an artist and very creative, and no matter if a school accepts you or doesn't, don't feel discouraged; keep working! We all have our time for specific opportunities, plus I am sure you applied to more schools than one school. UV Is missing out on you, and it is not your fault to feel terrible about that. Keep grinding. I am sure something better is coming your way. Hope for the best and pray for the worst. 

2 hours ago, Snailz said:

Honestly, it's hard. I'm trying to turn it all into fuel for the inner furnace, you know? I'm trying to get a "your loss, i'm going to make fucking awesome work without you then" mindset instead of taking it personally and letting it discourage me. I remind myself that if they can't see my potential and what i could bring to a cohort that's not my problem, I already did the best I could with my application. Maybe I was up against really incredible people this year. Maybe it just wasn't my time. Whatever it was, I did the best I could and now I have to (be able to) move on.

If I try again next intake it'll be with a portfolio that is stronger than I submitted this time and feel like I'm saying "told you I was good" with it. I already had plenty of work for the rest of 2024 planned out that I was gonna do whether I got in for Fall or not so I just need to keep on trucking. This weird rejection spite is a powerful motivator.

Edited by Griselda

41 minutes ago, Griselda said:

Honestly, it's hard. I'm trying to turn it all into fuel for the inner furnace, you know? I'm trying to get a "your loss, i'm going to make fucking awesome work without you then" mindset instead of taking it personally and letting it discourage me. I remind myself that if they can't see my potential and what i could bring to a cohort that's not my problem, I already did the best I could with my application. Maybe I was up against really incredible people this year. Maybe it just wasn't my time. Whatever it was, I did the best I could and now I have to (be able to) move on.

If I try again next intake it'll be with a portfolio that is stronger than I submitted this time and feel like I'm saying "told you I was good" with it. I already had plenty of work for the rest of 2024 planned out that I was gonna do whether I got in for Fall or not so I just need to keep on trucking. This weird rejection spite is a powerful motivator.

Yes, I love this and I am definitely trying to re-frame it as motivation to help fuel me! Love everyones thoughts on this so thank you to everyone for your input!! Love having this forum to turn to for support 💛

44 minutes ago, epelias said:

Anyone heard from LSU or VCU? I am applying for the Ceramic program 

No word from VCU for graphic design either. Idk if you saw they extended the deadline for VCU to feb 1st so maybe that might delay the interview invites?