MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

3 hours ago, Benz555 said:

congrats, is this your frist year applying to yale? I also got a interview 

thank you! congrats to you too 🙂 yes, my first time applying to yale and to any mfa program actually.

when do you have your interview? best of luck! 

Hey there! Quick question for the American students here: Do thank-you emails after interviews leave a positive impression, or are they considered awkward? As an international student, I'm not sure about the norms in the US. Is it common? and if so, should I include anything specific or just a simple thank you?
My interviewers were quite friendly and told me I can email them if I had any further questions.
Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

1 hour ago, reincarnationhotline said:

Hey I applied for Columbia (sculpture/expanded practice).

Is anyone invited for an interview?

I applied to Columbia Painting and haven't heard anything yet.

I saw on previous freakout forms (2022, 2023) people have said: "In previous years, the people in this forum figured out that if the “MFA” disappears in the phrase “2023 Painting MFA” on your Columbia slideroom account then you have been rejected. "

Not sure if that’s still true, my "MFA" is still there... lol such a strange way to find out.

5 hours ago, Jill the lass said:

Hey there! Quick question for the American students here: Do thank-you emails after interviews leave a positive impression, or are they considered awkward? As an international student, I'm not sure about the norms in the US. Is it common? and if so, should I include anything specific or just a simple thank you?
My interviewers were quite friendly and told me I can email them if I had any further questions.
Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I think you should!

5 hours ago, darkrat88 said:

thank you! congrats to you too 🙂 yes, my first time applying to yale and to any mfa program actually.

when do you have your interview? best of luck! 

It's crazy, likewise for me & Friday the 23.  hby? when is yours? where else do you have an interview? I have S.A.I.C, and Columbia as well. I'm waiting on VCU

13 hours ago, looooneytoonie said:

I saw on previous freakout forms (2022, 2023) people have said: "In previous years, the people in this forum figured out that if the “MFA” disappears in the phrase “2023 Painting MFA” on your Columbia slideroom account then you have been rejected. "

Not sure if that’s still true, my "MFA" is still there... lol such a strange way to find out.

i don't think this is true-- I have been rejected twice and it still says MFA on my past rejections 

20 hours ago, Benz555 said:

I hope u get it! I feel as if they all are in cohoot, so they probably may not someone get into two departments, given once you are in, you can do whatever you want. 

Thanks! Hope you can get in Columbia, good luck for you interview!
Yea once we get in we can practice all kinds of mediums 

19 hours ago, looooneytoonie said:

Hahha that’s funny …

Hope we can get interviews emails next week! fingers crossed ! 

Recieved a boulder interview invite today. Very informal email requesting a "short phone conversation" from the ceramics area head.

Anybody here interview with boulder in the past? Any tips or any unusual questions you encountered? Anyone familiar with the ceramics head?

Edited by bunnie99

Congrats to everyone who has received interviews! First time applying for an MFA, this is where I'm at:

Yale Painting: Rejected

SAIC Textiles: Interview

Ann Arbor: Nothing

RISD Textiles: Nothing

UCLA Painting and Sculpture: Nothing

Has anyone heard from Ann Arbor, RISD, or UCLA? Or if there is a portal I should be checking besides from email?

Edited by ulyssesbloom

31 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

You mentioned you were a finalist for UO though, have they gotten back to you? I went there for undergrad 😁

Not yet! They said I'd hear back next week or the week after so 🤞

Are you more sculptural ceramics or functional? 

16 minutes ago, chanu2v40 said:

Not yet! They said I'd hear back next week or the week after so 🤞

Are you more sculptural ceramics or functional? 

Probably more sculptural in my own work, but I also teach so I throw a lot of functional stuff to because that's what people are interested in learning