MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

30 minutes ago, coolgirl said:

Hey! They've already sent out acceptances for gd, both 2 and 3 year. so that process is all over for RISD

Wow, thanks for letting me know. The lack of communication/rejections from schools is really discouraging. I feel very much in the dark...

Has anyone heard back from the following schools/programs?

• Pratt (Communications Design)
  • Tyler (Graphic and Interactive Design)
  • UT Austin (Design)

Had my interview with UNLV today. The faculty is so chill and nice. You really get the sense that students and faculty treat each with a great deal of respect and kinship. It was inspiring. Definitely the most positive interview experience I've had in the last 3 years. 😎

5 hours ago, hihihi123 said:

rutgers is confusing me....I rsvp for an inperson interview and bought plane tickets but have not gotten a response from them yet.......

You should contact them I feel like.. or wait for a few days. They sent me an email to confirm the Zoom interview time yesterday. 

6 hours ago, hihihi123 said:

rutgers is confusing me....I rsvp for an inperson interview and bought plane tickets but have not gotten a response from them yet.......

Do you have a specific contact you can email? Since you’ve already purchased your flights, I would try to get in touch w someone to sort it out.

1 hour ago, Anxious Dreamer said:

Has anyone interviewed with UF? Any tips?

I had a zoom call with UF a few months ago to get more info about their program. The professor I met with was very lovely. And while it wasn’t an interview, the vibe of my meeting was very casual and I felt v comfortable. 

17 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

I had a zoom call with UF a few months ago to get more info about their program. The professor I met with was very lovely. And while it wasn’t an interview, the vibe of my meeting was very casual and I felt v comfortable. 

Sweet! I am gonna have an interview meeting soon. Hope it goes well like yours!

On 2/18/2024 at 8:46 PM, Gradboriss said:

Same here!!

I applied to 3D4M, did not get ANY notice. And there are no updates in the portal... 

Also applied and haven't heard anything and no portal update, either. Maybe they're going slow? 

2 hours ago, Wifi0000 said:

You should contact them I feel like.. or wait for a few days. They sent me an email to confirm the Zoom interview time yesterday. 

Ok good to know…I also signed up for an in person interview and haven’t heard anything from them yet 

Just now, ohoh said:

Ok good to know…I also signed up for an in person interview and haven’t heard anything from them yet 

Don't worry, I think they are taking more time to schedule in-person interviews because it is in March? so you will get it soon

1 hour ago, Beenthereonce said:

Folks who have their interview with Yale, how was it?

It felt pretty standard for me, said they were asking everyone the same 5 questions. I had two of their critic faculty (Matt Keegan and Marta Kuzma) but not sure if more Artist/Professors are doing interviews too. Something like:

1) Here's your portfolio, what's something that excites you about your practice?

2) What can you contribute to the Yale community?

3) Yale is a research university, how would that benefit your practice?

4) Why Yale?

5) Pedagogy is an important part of the experience of attending Yale - How does pedagogy inform your work?

The last question threw me a little since I felt like the wording was nonspecific or i had trouble interpreting what exactly they meant, but they seemed satisfied nonetheless with me talking about courses I would want to take, faculty I was excited about, and participating in critique and how I do so. 

The rest of the questions they asked were follow ups on things that I said, some of which were nitpicky but overall they came off as nice, thoughtful, and engaged even though I was at the end of their day. I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as you prepare. Hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, ohoh said:

its so frustrating....i need this whole process to be over haha

Edited by hihihi123

25 minutes ago, b4wegather said:

It felt pretty standard for me, said they were asking everyone the same 5 questions. I had two of their critic faculty (Matt Keegan and Marta Kuzma) but not sure if more Artist/Professors are doing interviews too. Something like:

1) Here's your portfolio, what's something that excites you about your practice?

2) What can you contribute to the Yale community?

3) Yale is a research university, how would that benefit your practice?

4) Why Yale?

5) Pedagogy is an important part of the experience of attending Yale - How does pedagogy inform your work?

The last question threw me a little since I felt like the wording was nonspecific or i had trouble interpreting what exactly they meant, but they seemed satisfied nonetheless with me talking about courses I would want to take, faculty I was excited about, and participating in critique and how I do so. 

The rest of the questions they asked were follow ups on things that I said, some of which were nitpicky but overall they came off as nice, thoughtful, and engaged even though I was at the end of their day. I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as you prepare. Hope this helps :)

Which department was that for?

13 hours ago, b4wegather said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I hope you are karmically rewarded for this good deed. haha

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my updates now that the application process is mostly wrapped up. First off, a huge thank you to all who have shared their experiences and supported each other along the way. Your camaraderie has been an invaluable source of comfort during those nerve-wracking moments. Regardless of the admission outcomes, I want to emphasize the importance of continuing to nurture our artistic pursuits. I'm genuinely rooting for each and every one of you!

I am an international student who graduated with a BFA degree from a US-based Art School.
I applied for this MFA admission cycle, (Photography / Transmedia) depending on the school.

• UChicago:
    • Accepted, with 75% funding and a $9K TA position per year.
  • UT-Austin:
    • Accepted, with Full funding and an approximate $21K TA stipend per year.
  • XYZ StateUniversity:
    • Accepted with Full funding and a TA stipend (I'd rather not disclose the name due to the school's size).
  • UCSD: Waitlisted,
    • received an email saying "We anticipate sending official notification of your acceptance or non-acceptance to the program by April 22, 2024. At this time, you are under no obligation to respond to any offers but we would greatly appreciate a response if you are interested in remaining on our waitlist."
  • Yale Photography - Rejection
  • Northwestern - Rejection
  • UCLA (no news, assuming rejection)
  • UC-Berkeley (no news, assuming rejection)
  • UC-Davis (no news, assuming rejection)
  • MIT (SMACT) (no news, assuming rejection)

Reflecting on this admission cycle, my primary goal was to find a school where I could pursue my passion without accumulating overwhelming student loan debt. I'm somewhat satisfied with the results, as I have options where I can focus on my practice without financial strain. I hope everyone else found something valuable in this process as well.

Edited by MFASkepticism