MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

18 hours ago, Chelsea H said:

coincidentally on the topic of my last reply: Cranbrook just sent an invite for Visit Day, is anyone here planning to attend? I went to the Open House (and fell in love ofc) so there’s really no reason for me to go but I’m still tempted because we didn’t get to meet current students while I was there and it’s only a 5 hour drive away for me lol 

Hi

What deparment did you apply for? 

1 minute ago, eatsomeveggies said:

just had my interview with saic painting and drawing department and i think it all went good? one of the questions they kept stressing over was why painting and not just photography and it took me a hot second to figure out my answer but overall i think i handled it well

I got so flustered for some reason and definitely bombed it..... 

Just finished my interview with painting at SAIC and that was a horrible way of conducting an interview bordering with disrespectful. Not to sound egotistical but I know I did well but the people interviewing just seemed bored and uninterested. I understand that they cram interviews in one day but, if the faculty are gonna burn out before noon and not engage with the applicant, they should divide interviews throughout several days. I felt like they didn't like my work which I understand and I'm fine with but they weren't even interested in trying to understand it so now I'm just puzzled as to why I was invited to interview in the first place. Halfway through, the interview morphed into a critique of my work with no room for me to expand on their comments which were not even coming from a place of interest but were opinions on how they assess art. If this is a reflection on how SAIC is structured by faculty not invested at all in their students, even if I got a full ride I would not consider it for a second.

I just had mine with SAIC fiber studies, it was so good. They had a 20-minute interview, pulled up my work, and asked the basic questions, but the faculty was very kind and engaged. I got to ask them my questions, and they said that full rides are very selective and that there is always some type of aid; I believe I got in, but they will let us know mid-March. IDK if I will attend SAIC as a whole, but it is definitely a great way to get an interview experience.  A really great group of people in that department. 

34 minutes ago, murmur said:

I got so flustered for some reason and definitely bombed it..... 

heyy whis mfa thing  is not over till it is u know.. we have to wait til march

was there non expected questions? what made u think like that? :( I feel sorry for u but don't think that way

Anybody who was just in the ceramics department meet and greet, did anyone grab the grad students email who gave us the tour? i neglected to write it down and just thought of something i wanted to ask

1 hour ago, Gradboriss said:

Hi

What deparment did you apply for? 

Painting! 
edited to say: they specified the date March 8 is for their department, which implies other departments host on other day(s)

Edited by Chelsea H

On 2/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, Dougie4life said:

Updates:

Columbia (Photo): Interviewed 2/18, Unofficial Acceptance 2/19

USC: Interviewed 2/6, Awaiting decision

Cornell (Image-text): Interviewed 2/22, Awaiting decision

Waiting on:

RISD (photo)

UCLA (photo (option 1) new genres (option 2)

Questions

1. Anyone offered an interview from UCLA (photo)?

2. Anyone heard from RISD (photo)?

3. Anyone apply to USC Roski in this forum, or are people still staying away from it after the fiasco in 2016?

Can you clarify what you mean by unofficial acceptance?

3 hours ago, freshman2024 said:

any idea how many people they interview

20 hours ago, Chelsea H said:

I got my BFA at an all-art school and it was actually perfect for me, but that is definitely NOT a universal experience haha. To yr point, if a school is exclusively for arts, then their investment in the quality of their facilities should be a priority, right? More than the studio set-up though, it was the attitude and, like, juvenile ideas of the students I talked to that really concerned me. The whole tradeoff of not getting a more wholistic education at say a liberal arts school is that the narrower scope of study should then be much deeper—if you only offer arts programs, they better be damn good programs! 
I’m not trying to talk smack on SAIC though, the impression I formed is only indicative of my singular limited experience, and is informed by my own personal interests and goals and preferred environment for working etc. For all I know, I could be missing out on a stellar program there! I don’t want to suggest anything about the caliber of the school I’m just relaying my perception. But I will say I think visiting schools you are seriously interested in is very important for sure 

I have no clue how many people they interview just from seeing other schools like them my guess is 10-20....

And thanks so much for sharing your thoughts definitely lots to think about....I would need it to be mostly funded and would have to go visit before I accepted an offer from them......still waiting on a waitlist and another interview that I would probably pick over saic..

2 hours ago, xxxxoxe said:

heyy whis mfa thing  is not over till it is u know.. we have to wait til march

was there non expected questions? what made u think like that? :( I feel sorry for u but don't think that way

I don't know why I got so flustered!! I felt like I was a confused undergrad again. I am also coming down with a cold so my focus wasn't there I think. Hope yours goes better! 

Just had mine with SAIC ceramics! There were 2 committees and atmosphere was pretty good.

I interviewed for 25 minutes, they asked me about my portfolio and some general questions. (why SAIC, what are my influences..)

They were friendly and seemed very much interested in my works.

They told me the decision will be on next 3-4 weeks.. Now all I have to do is be patient and wait for decision!

27 minutes ago, Gradboriss said:

Just had mine with SAIC ceramics! There were 2 committees and atmosphere was pretty good.

I interviewed for 25 minutes, they asked me about my portfolio and some general questions. (why SAIC, what are my influences..)

They were friendly and seemed very much interested in my works.

They told me the decision will be on next 3-4 weeks.. Now all I have to do is be patient and wait for decision!

Were you at the zoom meet and greet/tour? Did you happen to write down the current students email that was taking us around? I neglected to and I have some questions I want to ask her.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:19 PM, Gaara said:

That's a good mindset to have, I remember my first time applying I was so clueless about how competitive this is. Hope you get in the first time because it is no fun doing this over and over. Don't be like me and think it is the end of the world if you don't get in though lol. I'm Painting & Drawing

On 10/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, Guest said:

Nice, you're ahead of the game! I haven't even started my writing yet. 

Concordia is a good school, what program are you applying to? I live in Montreal and know a lot of Concordia MFA's, maybe I can give some info

I applied to Concordia last year and got waitlisted, but didn't make it in, for the sculpture program. Their painting program is very good, if you're doing sculpture you get to work with Kelly Jazvac who is an EXCELLENT artist and professor, IMO one of the best arts educators in Canada, hands down. 

Hi all! Sorry, I got logged out of my account and every time I tried to log back in it would glitch out lol. So far my predictions are correct and I've gotten a rejection and three assumed rejections (I haven't heard anything, but other people on this forum have had interviews/acceptances). I haven't heard back from Concordia yet, but I'm guessing they're later bc the application was so late. So far, I've gotten one acceptance at the New York Academy of Art for painting. 

From what it seems painting applicants for RISD, Hunter, and Bard have already gotten responses. Is it safe to assume that I'll be receiving a rejection since I haven't heard anything?

Also, people who have been accepted to programs in the past but didn't attend and decided to reapply for different programs in future years, can I ask why? I'm somewhat considering it due to financials, but I'm not sure if it's the right decision for me. 

Congrats to everyone who has had interviews/acceptances/ and any other good things happen to them lately! :)

2 minutes ago, TNRic said:

From what it seems painting applicants for RISD, Hunter, and Bard have already gotten responses. Is it safe to assume that I'll be receiving a rejection since I haven't heard anything?

Also, people who have been accepted to programs in the past but didn't attend and decided to reapply for different programs in future years, can I ask why? I'm somewhat considering it due to financials, but I'm not sure if it's the right decision for me. 

Congrats to everyone who has had interviews/acceptances/ and any other good things happen to them lately! :)

I got into some schools last year but ultimately decided to wait and reapply this year because I felt like I hadn't actually narrowed down what I wanted out of the program sufficiently and I didn't get enough funding. I wanted to be sure that If I was spending a big chunk of change on this I was clear about my goals and achieving them.

Just had my SAIC interview today- I think it went well.

Does anyone know the names of the interviewers for the fiber and materials MFA? I know one is Erica LittleJohn, but I cant remember the other person, and I'd like to send them thank yous. 

Had my SAIC ceramics interview a little bit ago. They were friendly and I appreciated how much time we spent discussing my work. They pulled up photos from my portfolio and asked me to speak about them. They also asked about contemporary and historical influences. Why grad school now and why SAIC. Then we had a lot of time for questions. I felt a bit awkward because a lot of my questions were answered in the info session/meet and greet this morning but I managed to fill the time and it seemed smooth enough.