MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

3 minutes ago, MFA108 said:

Do any of the top MFA programs admit or put anyone on the waitlist without an interview?

I heard the program I applied to at RISD did that this year. They sent out waitlist decisions on the same day of offers, without interviews. But I think this is pretty rare.

2 hours ago, Showtime123 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! 

I applied to VCU sculpture and haven't gotten neither an acceptance nor a rejection. Just floating in the gray area it seems.

I still haven’t heard anything from VCU graphic design after the interview 2 weeks ago 😭 anyone else heard anything?? The sculpture acceptances and rejections have me a little worried ?

5 hours ago, SemiLocalArtRat said:

Has anyone heard from California College of the Arts, PSU, or University of Washington? I'm in at RISD and waitlisted at Ohio State, absolutely dying of anticipation, simply withering away into dusty little particulates🫠

Nothing from Washington here, either. I'm assuming rejection at this point.

6 hours ago, reincarnationhotline said:

Oh wow thanks for letting me know

How do you feel about your interview ? I got interviewed yesterday too

um i think it went fine? I thought it was weird they had an adjunct as one of the 3 interviewers... no other school seemed to have an adjunct prof on the panel, and (besides ucla of only 2 faculty) all the rest had like 5+ interviewers

***EDIT... idk i forgot how they introduced Cal but I looked him up and he just graduated from sculpture at columbia LAST YEAR. .... I can't remember if they said he was an adjunct or what, Keli is listed as an adjunct, Cal you can't even find in the directory.... sorry but low key this feels like major disrespect from the school like.. your tenured grad faculty cant be bothered to interview finalists???? so much that a recent grad and an adjunct are conducting the interview?? jesus....

yeah i think we got along fine i maybe stopped to look at my notes too often or took to long to answer their questions so the interview felt a little short or rushed but whatever. maybe I could have had better answers. I hate when they ask what you will offer the program... smh.  .... how did your interview go? 

7 hours ago, Showtime123 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! 

I applied to VCU sculpture and haven't gotten neither an acceptance nor a rejection. Just floating in the gray area it seems.

lol same im assuming im getting waitlisted which is fine. although in the interview they were very eager to let me know that i would hear back by this week lol. said without me even asking .  whatevs im feelin breezy. 

Edited by cinnamoroll8

1 minute ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

omg @Showtime123 me too!!! weeeeeee

a 2:13 am EST notification on a friday night/ saturday morning is so funny to me.. like why was i even up

i know theyre PST but stillllll

lol sameeeeeee. i literally crawled into my bed and said...check your emails one last time... why! Congratssssss to youu!!!!!! they will probably be my choice.

14 hours ago, californiagirlll said:

Same, says "user account is not eligible for activation"

Giving me anxiety that they sent the email in error 💀

13 hours ago, sweet dreams said:

I was able to get my portal set up and found my acceptance letter for SAIC, but I don't think they are offering me any merit awards ugh, if people find them let me know where you found the award in their portal, so appreciated thank u!!

I got that same error when I did it through my phone? It worked on my laptop tho. Idk if that's the same issue? 

I found my merit award on the second page of the acceptance letter and on the artic financial aid section. I also got a separate email from FAFSA about federal aid not being ready until the first half of March. Maybe that's why the acceptances were so weirdly timed? 

3 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

um i think it went fine? I thought it was weird they had an adjunct as one of the 3 interviewers... no other school seemed to have an adjunct prof on the panel, and (besides ucla of only 2 faculty) all the rest had like 5+ interviewers

***EDIT... idk i forgot how they introduced Cal but I looked him up and he just graduated from sculpture at columbia LAST YEAR. .... I can't remember if they said he was an adjunct or what, Keli is listed as an adjunct, Cal you can't even find in the directory.... sorry but low key this feels like major disrespect from the school like.. your tenured grad faculty cant be bothered to interview finalists???? so much that a recent grad and an adjunct are conducting the interview?? jesus....

yeah i think we got along fine i maybe stopped to look at my notes too often or took to long to answer their questions so the interview felt a little short or rushed but whatever. maybe I could have had better answers. I hate when they ask what you will offer the program... smh.  .... how did your interview go? 

lol same im assuming im getting waitlisted which is fine. although in the interview they were very eager to let me know that i would hear back by this week lol. said without me even asking .  whatevs im feelin breezy. 

I also find it weird that Jon ( the chair of the sculpture department) was not there as jury. I was quite nervous as I don’t feel comfortable doing an interview online, but I don’t have a choice so…

I was also shocked that they ask what you can bring for the school… 

i feel like the way they asked all the questions was a bit like giving us a questionnaire to fill in, they just noted down what you said maybe some keywords. I felt a bit awkward. 

Do you think that the third week of March this timeline has to do with FAFSA? 
And did they mention if they will call you to inform your acceptance ?

8 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

I also did my interview that day! I was super surprised when we got that email like 24 hours before about who the interviewers were...but I think mine went well...I felt good about my answers and the whole thing seemed really quick.

Glad to know we may not hear back until the third week of March because that feels FAR AWAY.

(But exciting that they told you you'd hear back this week!!)

2 hours ago, Showtime123 said:

Got an email this morning from VCU sculpture that I was waitlisted. so anyone else who was floating in the gray area of no acceptance no rejection check your emails.

lmao me too haha were on a similar vibe it seems!! 

On 3/2/2024 at 9:48 AM, coolgirl said:

I still haven’t heard anything from VCU graphic design after the interview 2 weeks ago 😭 anyone else heard anything?? The sculpture acceptances and rejections have me a little worried ?

I don't know about graphic design but I heard back from VCU painting program yesterday about admission status.

14 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Would anyone who got accepted to SAIC be willing to share their funding offer if they know it?

I haven't got my official letter yet, but I heard that SAIC gives 1 full ride, 1 half ride, and some 20% scholarships to each department. 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:02 AM, Dougie4life said:

For those who have been admitted to more than one school - how are you weighing your decision-making apart from funding/financial packages?

I got 2 official acceptance and 2 unofficial acceptance so far. 

I'm searching (again) for the ranking of the department I applied for (which is Ceramic), and also comparing it by looking at the school's curriculum, location, graduates, etc. And I'm currently in another country, so I'm doing a general survey on dorm or local housing costs and living expenses.

2 hours ago, Gradboriss said:

I got 2 official acceptance and 2 unofficial acceptance so far. 

I'm searching (again) for the ranking of the department I applied for (which is Ceramic), and also comparing it by looking at the school's curriculum, location, graduates, etc. And I'm currently in another country, so I'm doing a general survey on dorm or local housing costs and living expenses.

Thanks for sharing. Ranking according to whom?

On 2/8/2024 at 10:03 PM, jazu said:

Hi there! I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now and already drafted a post yesterday asking if people have gotten interview invites for RISD's Illustration MFA or not. I was super doubtful because I saw that two years ago people got invited even before February for this department... But fortunately, I just got an email back from them to have an interview next week!

Super nervous! I see that people already posted some tips (and I'm already taking note of all of them!) but if anyone has more pieces of advice, whether it is general questions that might be asked or your experience through it, that'll be so incredibly helpful! Thank you :)

I am in the same boat as you. Have you heard back about desicions from risd illustration at all? I haven't heard anything yet and it feels like it's getting pretty late.

Hey guys, been lurking around but posting for the first time.

so far I’ve only heard back from RISD. But nothing from SAIC and Parsons. I applied for fiber/textiles. Anyone hear back from them yet?

Should i be worried since i see many people heard back from their respective departments at SAIC. Havent seen a single comment about Parsons so far. Is it really not that well reputed amongst MFA candidates?