MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

For anyone who applied to UIC, someone who was accepted in 2022 told me this today, "UIC actually did not do an interview, I just received an offer by email at the end of February and then had a phone call with the Director of Graduate Services (DGS) to discuss program details, funding, etc. This year the DGS is Professor Nate Young. I expect that he will be reaching out to people later this month, or early March."

3 hours ago, cowboyheehaw said:

SAIC sculpture invites are out! Are any of you thinking about going in person?

Also got a second interview invitation with Parsons for scholarship consideration. 

1 hour ago, sweet dreams said:

Congratulations!! Are you going to do your SAIC interview in person or online do you think?

I got an interview to SAIC in 3 of their departments, photo, sculpture and fiber studies Lmaoo, it should’ve just be fiber and photo but I submitted by accident. Well now I 3 interviews in one way on zoom back to back 😂😂😂. Still waiting on Yale and VCU those are my only schools left. We almost done guys let’s all keep working!!! The finish line is close. Also any tips on saic interview??

5 hours ago, cphoto said:

Has anyone heard from RISD photo? I have not and I know they have sent out interviews for painting. 

I have also not heard from RISD Photo. 

I had what felt like a great interview with Parsons photo last week. At the end the interviewer thanked me and said she would forward me scholarship info in the next few weeks. No mention of a second interview for scholarship consideration. Maybe it is different by school? 

8 hours ago, cowboyheehaw said:

SAIC sculpture invites are out! Are any of you thinking about going in person?

Also got a second interview invitation with Parsons for scholarship consideration. 

I schedule for zoom unless they can pay for my travels. 

7 hours ago, sweet dreams said:

I have had so many rejections the past two years. I have gotten a lot more recently too, always a hard pill to swallow. I think that is one thing that all creatives and artists have in common- getting shot down but always finding a way to get back up. We wouldn't be here applying to grad school if we weren't already resilient to get here in the first place!

Got interviews with SAIC and MassArt today, wondering if people are going to Chicago in person? Any advice about that would be so cool.. I'm nervous 

I had mine at MassArt today as well (3d)! Good luck :)

How was it? I thought mine was good but I was def nervous! 

1 hour ago, Phynch said:

I have also not heard from RISD Photo. 

I had what felt like a great interview with Parsons photo last week. At the end the interviewer thanked me and said she would forward me scholarship info in the next few weeks. No mention of a second interview for scholarship consideration. Maybe it is different by school? 

Did they tell u they would release acceptance in march ? or that u were accepted right away 

11 hours ago, Valentine88 said:

Just got invited for an SAIC painting interview for the 24th of Feb. Looks like they are back on sending emails right now. 

i got an interview for saic sculpture....im just like how would i even pay for this....trying to decide if i should go in person or not 

Anyone familiar with SAIC online interviews? They said interviews will be carried out in a group critique format, and as I see all interviews are scheduled at the same hour. Does this mean interviews are not personal?? 

10 hours ago, freshman2024 said:

Has anyone heard anything back from Rutgers ? Interviews rejections ? 

Nope, I don't think they've sent anything out yet. 

1 hour ago, peropedro said:

Anyone familiar with SAIC online interviews? They said interviews will be carried out in a group critique format, and as I see all interviews are scheduled at the same hour. Does this mean interviews are not personal?? 

I did one last year, it was with the entire sculpture faculty and me, no other prospective students or anything weird like that. Maybe it'll be different this year, but that sounds horrible haha. 

Edited by Gkrenz

1 hour ago, peropedro said:

mine doesn't say that. on the website there were multiple slots with 30 minute intervals. are you applying for painting?

11 hours ago, epelias said:

How long after interviews do people typically hear? I interviewed as MassArt today and I thought it went really well! But no idea when I will hear back...

What was the MassArt interview like? I have an upcoming one with them.

19 minutes ago, murmur said:

mine doesn't say that. on the website there were multiple slots with 30 minute intervals. are you applying for painting?

applying for photography, there are only two options 10 am and 2pm

2 hours ago, goodbyeeri said:

Anyone hear back from RISD painting? I haven't heard anything yet, but a previous post said they were sent out for painting?

I had an interview with RISD for painting on January 24, it was intense but went well I think?
They said we'd heard back three weeks from the interviews. Hope that helps!

12 hours ago, epelias said:

I had mine at MassArt today as well (3d)! Good luck :)

How was it? I thought mine was good but I was def nervous! 

I'm glad it went well, that way you don't have to worry as much haha, Mine is booked for a couple days from now (2D in painting) If you don't mind me asking, what kind of questions did they bring up?

6 hours ago, Valentine88 said:

I’m considering flying in for SAIC more than others. I think looking at the environment and such will be a key component for me and my investment of time. Also I haven’t really been to Chicago , compared to New York and LA. So I’m thinking about it. 

unless u plan on going there, I would say go, is that your first choice?

14 minutes ago, lysol said:

Everyone asking about Rutgers it says on their website directly that they will contact for March interviews in mid Feb- I wouldn't expect to hear anything until next week or the following week

Yes, also this is when Rutgers sent out interview invitations for the last 6 years according to previous grad cafe forums: 

2023:1/31
2022: 2/9
2021: *no applications accepted this year*

2020: 2/4
2019: 2/12
2018: 2/9