MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 hour ago, Abandonsleep said:

Omg congrats!! Did they also tell you that you had 5 days to accept? I asked for an extension because im still waiting for a bunch of other schools! 

Yes and I asked too!

Just got an interview invite from RISD this morning. Here's where I stand:

UC Davis-- nothing, assuming rejected

CU Boulder-- interview

UW Seattle -- nothing, still holding out hope 😅

SAIC -- interview

RISD -- interview 

For all of these I applied for ceramics

I'm dying to know if SAIC FVNMA (film, video, new media, animation) sent out interview invitations yet... Does anyone know anyone who heard back? They said they'll send out interview invitations in the first half of Feb since all grad interviews are on Feb 24.

Please please let me know if you know of any updates...

Edited by baci

1 hour ago, bunnie99 said:

Just got an interview invite from RISD this morning. Here's where I stand:

UC Davis-- nothing, assuming rejected

CU Boulder-- interview

UW Seattle -- nothing, still holding out hope 😅

SAIC -- interview

RISD -- interview 

For all of these I applied for ceramics

what questions they ask for interview !

Just had my CCA interview and it was great! 100% a one on one conversation, and outwardly expressed interest in my portfolio. As I researched their program in preparation for my interview, it quickly went up in my preference list of schools. So, I would love to know what anyone has heard about their Visual Arts MFA program and how it compares to others. 

Also no interview invite or portal update from Rutgers or Hunter on my part so I'm assuming I was rejected.

As it stands I've interviewed with CCA, VCU, RISD, and UT, interviewed and was accepted into Tyler, and interviewing next week with Cranbrook, Boston University, and SAIC. 

Good luck everyone and stay positive!

24 minutes ago, reincarnationhotline said:

Still waiting for news from Columbia (sculpture)...

Same here…from looking at last year’s forum it seems like people got notified about interviews in the last week of February, but those who weren’t offered interviews didn’t hear anything back until getting a rejection message on 3/15……

6 minutes ago, ohoh said:

Same here…from looking at last year’s forum it seems like people got notified about interviews in the last week of February, but those who weren’t offered interviews didn’t hear anything back until getting a rejection message on 3/15……

At least for now I can say that we still have chance for an interview. I reached out the admission office and they say that they have not sent any interview emails yet for sculpture department. 
I guess it will be this week or next week, cause painting has sent out interviews and both painting and sculpture have more candidates than other departments.

Edited by reincarnationhotline

37 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

Just had my CCA interview and it was great! 100% a one on one conversation, and outwardly expressed interest in my portfolio. As I researched their program in preparation for my interview, it quickly went up in my preference list of schools. So, I would love to know what anyone has heard about their Visual Arts MFA program and how it compares to others. 

Also no interview invite or portal update from Rutgers or Hunter on my part so I'm assuming I was rejected.

As it stands I've interviewed with CCA, VCU, RISD, and UT, interviewed and was accepted into Tyler, and interviewing next week with Cranbrook, Boston University, and SAIC. 

Good luck everyone and stay positive!

I know someone who is graduating from CCA's MFA program this year, and from what she told me, they seem willing to match other offers. When she was accepted they initially gave her an 80% tuition waiver, but after she showed them her offer from a fully funded program, they gave her 100% tuition waiver. So if you get into a fully funded program like UT Austin but would prefer to go to CCA, I would try letting them know because they have matched offers before. Hope this was helpful, goodluck! 

2 hours ago, Benz555 said:

what questions they ask for interview !

My interviews with SAIC and RISD are next week, but I had my Boulder interview earlier today. It was a phone conversation with the three ceramics faculty all together. I think it went really well and I really enjoyed speaking with them. It was pretty brief and casual.

They asked me: What are your goals for grad school? Why Boulder specifically? What are you reading? What are you good at? and of course: What questions do you have for us?

2 hours ago, Gaara said:

I know someone who is graduating from CCA's MFA program this year, and from what she told me, they seem willing to match other offers. When she was accepted they initially gave her an 80% tuition waiver, but after she showed them her offer from a fully funded program, they gave her 100% tuition waiver. So if you get into a fully funded program like UT Austin but would prefer to go to CCA, I would try letting them know because they have matched offers before. Hope this was helpful, goodluck! 

Yeah they mentioned that they would be open to matching other offers which is great. Do you know if that person likes the program or faculty? 

1 hour ago, Goody2choos said:

Yeah they mentioned that they would be open to matching other offers which is great. Do you know if that person likes the program or faculty? 

I didn't ask her about that specifically, we just talked about their funding and she told me how she had to take out loans for housing and she wished she asked CCA to match the stipend offer on top of the tuition waiver. And she said CCA doesn't allow you to teach your own class like other MFA programs, instead, you just work with a professor on their class. So if you really want teaching experience it may not be the program for you. You do have the opportunity to TA with pay though and other graduate jobs. Overall, it seems like she enjoys the program though, it was important for her to build her network close to her home. Living near CCA or on campus can be expensive depending on your situation, I would ask them to match your fully funded offer and the monthly stipend. 

4 hours ago, murmur said:

anyone got any news from Cornell, UCI, UCLA painting?

getting an interview with UCI (not painting though) this week, nothing from Cornell 

13 minutes ago, Wifi0000 said:

getting an interview with UCI (not painting though) this week, nothing from Cornell 

When did Irvine send you the interview invite? And what is your discipline? 

57 minutes ago, Gaara said:

I didn't ask her about that specifically, we just talked about their funding and she told me how she had to take out loans for housing and she wished she asked CCA to match the stipend offer on top of the tuition waiver. And she said CCA doesn't allow you to teach your own class like other MFA programs, instead, you just work with a professor on their class. So if you really want teaching experience it may not be the program for you. You do have the opportunity to TA with pay though and other graduate jobs. Overall, it seems like she enjoys the program though, it was important for her to build her network close to her home. Living near CCA or on campus can be expensive depending on your situation, I would ask them to match your fully funded offer and the monthly stipend. 

Thank you for the info! Appreciate it.