MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 hour ago, yosemite119 said:

For UT Austin, did you interview for their MFA in Studio Art or Design?

I interviewed for UT Studio Art on 2/4

————————

Also, I got an acceptance call from RISD earlier today!!!! I’m trying to not get my hopes up before the scholarship info comes it but it is definitely my dream school. 

Edited by Goody2choos

20 hours ago, redapothecary said:

just letting everyone know- found out I was accepted to uchicago on the portal, there was no email notification!! just happened to check back online! 

Congratulations! I just found out I was waitlisted - do you think you are going to attend? Always so curious about the amount of people accepted that actually end up going. I know for myself I'm currently getting interviewed at Yale and SAIC so everything's very much up in the air.

19 hours ago, mfaapplicant said:

Just found out I was rejected by uchicago - did not receive an email & saw it on the portal. Not surprised at all as I had a horrible interview with them that made me feel so disrespected. My interview experience also kinda matched what I heard from some of their alum who have had really bad experiences with the program. Initially, I didn't believe what they said because I had a very good visit before I applied & tried to further convince myself because the funding was attractive. But I totally get what they were saying right after that interview... Guess it's just not for me & I'm so glad I found out during the application process.

Curious to hear more about your experience in the interview and how this matched with alum testimonies too. Was there specific comments that were made during the interview that you felt were in line with what alum experienced? My interview with them was extremely concise and impersonal, and I ultimately got waitlisted, but I also don't know anyone that is an alum of the program. If you'd like to share I'd love to hear! 

Anyone else just get an email from gw?

Your application to the Fine Arts program has been sent to the committee for review. Decisions are usually made within two to four weeks. You will receive an email notification once there is a decision available on your application.

13 minutes ago, epelias said:

Anyone else just get an email from gw?

Your application to the Fine Arts program has been sent to the committee for review. Decisions are usually made within two to four weeks. You will receive an email notification once there is a decision available on your application.

What school is Gw?

2 hours ago, Gaara said:

The person I sent that message to interviewed with UT Austin, I never heard back from them. 
///////

I'm surprised UCSD & UConn have not sent interview invites yet. And UC Irvine and UCLA have, but not for Painting. Feels like I have a bunch of pending rejections. This is precisely why I applied to so many schools, with how competitive fully funded programs are...i applied to 15 knowing that would give me a chance at receiving interviews from 5 or less. This waiting game is tough 😭 

Has anyone heard from UCSD or UConn? Or UC Irvine and UCLA for Painting? 

I got an interview offer from UCSD and interviewed with them. I have not gotten any email from UCLA New Genres

2 hours ago, ohoh said:

I just got an interview request from Columbia expanded practice!

(the email says all the interview are on zoom, but when I go to their scheduling page it says zoom or in-person?)

yeah i just got an interview request from Columbia Sculpture with the same un-clear-ness. I'm going to ask if they can cover airfare or something but not really sure. Is it correct to assume that most schools DO NOT cover in-person interview costs?

the sculpture interview days seem to be feb 29 and march 1

Curious if those of you who were invited to interview at hunter + columbia have updates in your online portals. Mine say application submitted but give no other details.

Also curious if anyone has heard from Bard!

26 minutes ago, Sleepyguy said:

Curious if those of you who were invited to interview at hunter + columbia have updates in your online portals. Mine say application submitted but give no other details.

They will send invite via email 

25 minutes ago, Sleepyguy said:

I received an interview invite from Hunter on Tuesday, and it came via email (no portal update).

Bard's website has an application timeline, and says finalists will be notified Feb. 20th (maybe that includes by then too?).

3 hours ago, b4wegather said:

Curious to hear more about your experience in the interview and how this matched with alum testimonies too. Was there specific comments that were made during the interview that you felt were in line with what alum experienced? My interview with them was extremely concise and impersonal, and I ultimately got waitlisted, but I also don't know anyone that is an alum of the program. If you'd like to share I'd love to hear! 

Here is my personal experience - as soon as I entered the Zoom room, they threw three questions at me all at once and said we were in a rush. I didn't even have the chance to properly say hi lol. They did ask a ton of other questions & follow-up questions, but I barely had the chance to finish answering any of them before I got interrupted. Honestly, their questions were very illogical and all over the place. The weirdest moment was when I was talking about my work, they interrupted me and asked where I was located physically (this happened toward the end of the interview, not the intro phase) and just said "ok" after I answered... It also felt to me they went out of their way to misunderstand me just so they could rebut (I've similarly explained my practice to many other programs & all of them didn't seem to have trouble understanding what I was getting at & the vibes were all great, at least respectful). All of these started happening very soon after I entered the Zoom room, so I don't believe it was because I said something wrong... Overall, I felt like we were not on the same page at all, and they were either having a bad day or had previous biases about me and my work...

I am sure the interview experience is different for everyone, especially since they randomly(?) assigned us to different faculties. I've seen people sharing their positive experiences on this forum, and it definitely didn't sound like mine.

Regarding alumni experience - I can't go into the details of their experience due to privacy. But overall, they felt very very strongly about this program in a negative way, to a degree that they didn't even want to talk to me directly because I was a prospective student (with positive views back then) and only agreed to share the experience through a mutual friend. Key points of disappointment include the system being hierarchical, relational, and disrespectful. They told me not to "give up your practice" for funding, the UChicago title, and pretty studios. It's not worth it. That advice was based on their understanding of my background, though, and may not apply to you.

13 hours ago, Gaara said:

The person I sent that message to interviewed with UT Austin, I never heard back from them. 
///////

I'm surprised UCSD & UConn have not sent interview invites yet. And UC Irvine and UCLA have, but not for Painting. Feels like I have a bunch of pending rejections. This is precisely why I applied to so many schools, with how competitive fully funded programs are...i applied to 15 knowing that would give me a chance at receiving interviews from 5 or less. This waiting game is tough 😭 

Has anyone heard from UCSD or UConn? Or UC Irvine and UCLA for Painting? 

Do you remember around what time they sent out invitations last year ? (UC Irvine and UCLA)

14 hours ago, meepie said:

Had my Pratt painting interview today. I think it went well? I was pretty nervous and felt like I was talking very fast and the interview was over in 15 minutes. I’m not sure if that is a bad sign and I should have expanded more? I felt like I answered everything well but maybe just too short. 

I'm glad to hear that it was held in a good atmosphere! Don't worry, there will be good results :)!!

I'm applying for mfa for the first time this year (super nervous), and I don't know much about the Pratt interview. Were there any odd questions or interesting questions through the interview? Did they ask questions that you expected? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Pomeranian lover said:

I'm glad to hear that it was held in a good atmosphere! Don't worry, there will be good results :)!!

I'm applying for mfa for the first time this year (super nervous), and I don't know much about the Pratt interview. Were there any odd questions or interesting questions through the interview? Did they ask questions that you expected? Thanks!

It was pretty much all expected questions! I felt like I had an answer prepared for all of them. Mostly standard: why MFA, why now, why Pratt, tell them abt your work… I’d just go through that list of common questions someone posted earlier and you should be good! 

tbh I was more nervous than I needed to be probably. Good luck! 

6 hours ago, murmur said:

Do you remember around what time they sent out invitations last year ? (UC Irvine and UCLA)

UCLA: 
2023: 2/14
2022: 2/3

UCI:
2023: 2/3
2022: 1/28 

I think it's pretty late in February to expect to get an interview invite from these schools. And considering people have interviewed in other areas, I'm 99.9% sure I'm rejected. I'd rather be realistic about it than hold on to false hope for weeks lol 

Edited by Gaara

36 minutes ago, Gaara said:

UCLA: 
2023: 2/14
2022: 2/3

UCI:
2023: 2/3
2022: 1/28 

I think it's pretty late in February to expect to get an interview invite from these schools. And considering people have interviewed in other areas, I'm 99.9% sure I'm rejected. I'd rather be realistic about it than hold on to false hope for weeks lol 

oh wow. I was expecting mid to late February. yeah.... I think safe to assume we are all rejected. Interesting no one here received anything. Thanks for the info!