MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

19 hours ago, swirlyswirl said:

hi all, I had an interview with UCLA new genres on Sunday 2/11. Interview invite was sent 2/7. 

interview with Calarts film/video scheduled for 2/29, invite sent 1/30. 

still waiting on U Iowa, UW Milwaukee, and Bard. 

That's exciting. How did the UCLA new genres interview go? I wonder if photo interviews have gone out. Know anything on that? 

Hey everyone, thanks for sharing. Here are my updates:

UCLA (photo & new generes): Nothing yet. Anyone receive an interview request? 

RISD (photo): Nothing yet

Yale (photo): Rejected Fri 2/9. they sent my rejection on a Friday night at 8pm, which felt pretty inconsiderate and personal. Could've waited until Monday. Anyone else receive this bullshit?

USC Roski Arts: Interviewed on Tues 2/6

Columbia (photo): Interviewing Sun 2/18

Cornell (Image-Text Lo-Res): Interview requested. Waiting to schedule. 

-

Hope you're all taking care during this process, and best of luck to those with interviews.

❤️

Edited by johnjacobniles

A few days ago I had my interview with UIUC, and despite stumbling a bit, I believe I performed well overall. However, it was my first time being interviewed by an all-male panel, which brought a different energy to the Zoom call...I think things are more balanced when both males and females are there. Additionally, the interview ran longer than the initially stated time.

One aspect that struck me as odd was being asked about the other schools I applied to. This wasn't mentioned in the email outlining the interview agenda, and it left me feeling misled. While I understand interviewers may ask about applicants' interests, this particular question felt irrelevant to my candidacy. Now that they know I applied to another school near Chicago...it makes me wonder if they have the connections to reach out to that school and tell them to not accept me. Or if they may expect me to choose another program, and reject me due to thinking I may choose another school over them, which would be an unfair assumption to make. It seems like an unprofessional thing to ask....what schools I applied to shouldn't impact your decision so why even ask. 

Reflecting on the experience, it's important for both applicants and interviewers to approach these interactions professionally and ensure clarity and transparency throughout the process. I think we applicants are often very critical of our interview performances, but just as we can be bad at interviewing, interviewers can also be bad at interviewing. And more times than not, I believe if an applicant wasn't at their best during the interview, it is more of a reflection of the panel than the actual applicant. 

57 minutes ago, johnjacobniles said:

Hey everyone, thanks for sharing. Here are my updates:

UCLA (photo & new generes): Nothing yet. Anyone receive an interview request? 

RISD (photo): Nothing yet

Yale (photo): Rejected Fri 2/9. they sent my rejection on a Friday night at 8pm, which felt pretty inconsiderate and personal. Could've waited until Monday. Anyone else receive this bullshit?

USC Roski Arts: Interviewed on Tues 2/6

Columbia (photo): Interviewing Sun 2/18

Cornell (Image-Text Lo-Res): Interview requested. Waiting to schedule. 

-

Hope you're all taking care during this process, and best of luck to those with interviews.

❤️

I didn’t apply for risd this year but I’m pretty sure I saw someone got a photo interview a couple of days ago. As far as yale I really appreciate they send out all rejects and interview requests all at once. They don’t leave you hanging like a lot of the other programs. 

3 hours ago, murmur said:

Do you have any info on Cornell? 😬 Last one I am waiting to hear from

No I didn't apply to Cornell, but if you click on the search bar in the top right corner, then type in the school name, it'll show you all the times Cornell was mentioned on previous forums. You can also filter it so it shows only art-related stuff. 

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

A few days ago I had my interview with UIUC, and despite stumbling a bit, I believe I performed well overall. However, it was my first time being interviewed by an all-male panel, which brought a different energy to the Zoom call...I think things are more balanced when both males and females are there. Additionally, the interview ran longer than the initially stated time.

One aspect that struck me as odd was being asked about the other schools I applied to. This wasn't mentioned in the email outlining the interview agenda, and it left me feeling misled. While I understand interviewers may ask about applicants' interests, this particular question felt irrelevant to my candidacy. Now that they know I applied to another school near Chicago...it makes me wonder if they have the connections to reach out to that school and tell them to not accept me. Or if they may expect me to choose another program, and reject me due to thinking I may choose another school over them, which would be an unfair assumption to make. It seems like an unprofessional thing to ask....what schools I applied to shouldn't impact your decision so why even ask. 

Reflecting on the experience, it's important for both applicants and interviewers to approach these interactions professionally and ensure clarity and transparency throughout the process. I think we applicants are often very critical of our interview performances, but just as we can be bad at interviewing, interviewers can also be bad at interviewing. And more times than not, I believe if an applicant wasn't at their best during the interview, it is more of a reflection of the panel than the actual applicant. 

Speaking from my experience speaking to faculty from different institutions, asking where else a student is applying is usually and almost exclusively a great sign that the institution is interested in you and would like to know who they are competing with. It’s also a common question in the interview process. Applying to multiple programs is totally normal and they expect this, applying to multiple schools in a city can also be reassuring to them that you are committed to living there. Furthermore, it would be unacceptable and unprofessional of them to ask another institution to deny you. Any self respecting institution would not heed that request. 

Edited by leavesontree

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

I’ve been asked twice during the interview process about my application to other programs and I share your sentiment that it seems unprofessional for programs to do so and like a crossing of boundaries. However, it also depends on how they ask for instance one of the times was in a very casual way which made me be clear that they wouldn’t put any weight into my answer. The other time, I feel was very similar to how you must’ve been asked because it was very abrasive and came out of nowhere in the interview. I don’t really know why programs are allowed to ask that as it seems unprofessional and primarily, because I have no clue what answer they are looking for and how it plays into their decision making. This particular time I was also asked how high or low I would rank the program I was interviewing in my list of applications which is even worse of a question to ask. All I can say is, don’t mention any specific programs and depending on your interest in the school play enthusiastic about the program but hard to get. I definitely committed a faux pas and went a little too deep into my personal situation and reason to be applying right now but I got accepted into the program so it mustn’t have mattered too much. 

34 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

I’ve been asked twice during the interview process about my application to other programs and I share your sentiment that it seems unprofessional for programs to do so and like a crossing of boundaries. However, it also depends on how they ask for instance one of the times was in a very casual way which made me be clear that they wouldn’t put any weight into my answer. The other time, I feel was very similar to how you must’ve been asked because it was very abrasive and came out of nowhere in the interview. I don’t really know why programs are allowed to ask that as it seems unprofessional and primarily, because I have no clue what answer they are looking for and how it plays into their decision making. This particular time I was also asked how high or low I would rank the program I was interviewing in my list of applications which is even worse of a question to ask. All I can say is, don’t mention any specific programs and depending on your interest in the school play enthusiastic about the program but hard to get. I definitely committed a faux pas and went a little too deep into my personal situation and reason to be applying right now but I got accepted into the program so it mustn’t have mattered too much. 

Yea I didn't go through my entire list on purpose, I mentioned a few schools that are near UIUC because I felt like it would reinforce that I am interested in living near Chicago. For the other schools, I was vague. To me, it's misleading to say we are going to discuss "specific interest in our program, the nature of your current creative research focus, current inspirations, and how/if you consider education and teaching as part of your practice and career goals."....then catch me off guard with a where did you apply question. They said they ask all applicants the same questions but intentionally left out in the email that they would be asking where I applied. Plus for a few of the questions I asked them, they kinda went around answering the actual question. 

What happens when someone just lies and says you're the only program I applied to lol. Is that person now favored because they think it's guaranteed that they will attend. Everything about that question just rubs me the wrong way. A lot of this application process feels like dating and who would ask their date if they are talking to anyone else on the first date...like chill lmao. 

But yeah the question you got is bad too, how high or low you would rank them, obviously everyone is going to lie to them and say, "you're my first choice". These questions aren't very thoughtful, it's equivalent to me asking them soooo how much is the stipend.... certain things aren't necessary to ask and just come off unprofessional. 

2 hours ago, greengrass said:

I didn’t apply for risd this year but I’m pretty sure I saw someone got a photo interview a couple of days ago. As far as yale I really appreciate they send out all rejects and interview requests all at once. They don’t leave you hanging like a lot of the other programs. 

So did Yale send out invites on a Friday night, as well? It sounds like you know.

And yes, I do agree, if that's the case. Though, I think some programs may not do them all at once, so they can keep options open, if an interview doesn't go well with a prospective student, or if students inevitably deny their offer. Though, I suppose this is what waitlists are for. Does Yale waitlist?

Edited by johnjacobniles

1 hour ago, leavesontree said:

Speaking from my experience speaking to faculty from different institutions, asking where else a student is applying is usually and almost exclusively a great sign that the institution is interested in you and would like to know who they are competing with. It’s also a common question in the interview process. Applying to multiple programs is totally normal and they expect this, applying to multiple schools in a city can also be reassuring to them that you are committed to living there. Furthermore, it would be unacceptable and unprofessional of them to ask another institution to deny you. Any self respecting institution would not heed that request. 

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this matter. While I understand that asking about other applications can be seen as a sign of interest from the institution's side, it can also create unnecessary pressure for applicants. I would have less of a problem with the question if it was included in the clear interview guide email they sent me; feels misleading when you say we are going to talk about A, B, and C, then completely catch me off guard with something you didn't tell me to prepare for. That question seems similar to if applicants asked them for the names of finalists they are interviewing. Of course it would help me to be able to know my competition, but it would be unprofessional for me to ask. 

And yes I completely agree, it would be unprofessional for them to contact the schools near them to influence their decision. 

27 minutes ago, johnjacobniles said:

So did Yale send out invites on a Friday night, as well? It sounds like you know.

And yes, I do agree, if that's the case. Though, I think some programs may not do them all at once, so they can keep options open, if an interview doesn't well with a prospective student, or if students deny inevitably deny their offer. Though, I suppose this is what waitlists are for. Does Yale waitlist?

Yeah I got an invite friday night. If you look at past years (or even this year just the other departments) it seems that that’s how Yale rolls. Yale does have a waitlist but it’s made up of people they interview, just like most schools. Which is why it drives me crazy schools won’t just reject you when they send out invites. Like would a school really go back and invite people to interview? Do enough people bomb interviews? idk

1 minute ago, greengrass said:

Yeah I got an invite friday night. If you look at past years (or even this year just the other departments) it seems that that’s how Yale rolls. Yale does have a waitlist but it’s made up of people they interview, just like most schools. Which is why it drives me crazy schools won’t just reject you when they send out invites. Like would a school really go back and invite people to interview? Do enough people bomb interviews? idk

Nice. Well congratulations on the interview and best of luck on it. Which other schools and concentrations did you apply to/for?

30 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this matter. While I understand that asking about other applications can be seen as a sign of interest from the institution's side, it can also create unnecessary pressure for applicants. I would have less of a problem with the question if it was included in the clear interview guide email they sent me; feels misleading when you say we are going to talk about A, B, and C, then completely catch me off guard with something you didn't tell me to prepare for. That question seems similar to if applicants asked them for the names of finalists they are interviewing. Of course it would help me to be able to know my competition, but it would be unprofessional for me to ask. 

And yes I completely agree, it would be unprofessional for them to contact the schools near them to influence their decision. 

I’ve had several schools ask me this question and it has thrown me way off almost every time. Last year yale asked me if i had applied to other schools and I was like uh yeah i have and started to list them and they were all like UH WE DONT WANT TO KNOW THAT??? and i was like oh uh okay nvm????? This was after interviewing with risd that did want to know, by name, the other schools I had applied for.  I feel like each school is asking for different reasons and good luck at figuring out which particular reason for each school. 

23 hours ago, swirlyswirl said:

hi all, I had an interview with UCLA new genres on Sunday 2/11. Interview invite was sent 2/7. 

interview with Calarts film/video scheduled for 2/29, invite sent 1/30. 

still waiting on U Iowa, UW Milwaukee, and Bard. 

Thanks for posting and congrats!

Oof. Guess UCLA is officially off the table for me. If they never send me an actual rejection then I don't have any interest in applying again and will definitely send an email to the faculty saying that I think that is absolutely unacceptable and they should be ashamed. Lol I'm not even kidding. I won't word it that way but I think that is just deplorable. You are accepting chunks of cash from people and can't even send them a rejection? There's no excuse, Yale gets literally thousands of applications and they send out rejections efficiently and promptly. UCLA has way less applicants. Ugh sorry to rant.

i saw that someone last week got a columbia painting interview, has anyone else? I'm really really hoping there might be more interviews released but... it's not looking good, as badly as I want it 😕

2 hours ago, mfadoom said:

i saw that someone last week got a columbia painting interview, has anyone else? I'm really really hoping there might be more interviews released but... it's not looking good, as badly as I want it 😕

I'm also waiting but slowly losing hope 🥲 maybe certain departments release interview decisions earlier than others?

4 hours ago, johnjacobniles said:

And yes, I do agree, if that's the case. Though, I think some programs may not do them all at once, so they can keep options open, if an interview doesn't go well with a prospective student, or if students inevitably deny their offer. Though, I suppose this is what waitlists are for. Does Yale waitlist?

they do

hey yall i took a few days to replay the UCLA Sculpture interview in my head and jot any questions I remembered they asked so here's those.. 

where are you at right now?

what are you doing after? what are your future plans?

you run 2 galleries? how does that work? is it for profit or non-profit?

asked a lot about specific pieces/ processes

How did you get to work with _____ Museum/ reserves?

Do you know Rhino? They were impressed I knew Maya

Why do you want an MFA? To them it seemed like I had shows and stuff lined up, like why do I want an MFA if I’m showing and doing residencies.

Have you been to LA?

Do you ever want to teach?

Would you want to do a TAship?

Did you apply to other schools? Art schools or research schools?

What interests you about UCLA being a public university?

Overall I think it went really well especially being my first interview. Just 2 sculpture faculty. An alum told me they are a more casual vibe than formal and I found that to be the case in the interview. 

Edited by cinnamoroll8

7 hours ago, sixseveneight said:

Thanks for posting and congrats!

Oof. Guess UCLA is officially off the table for me. If they never send me an actual rejection then I don't have any interest in applying again and will definitely send an email to the faculty saying that I think that is absolutely unacceptable and they should be ashamed. Lol I'm not even kidding. I won't word it that way but I think that is just deplorable. You are accepting chunks of cash from people and can't even send them a rejection? There's no excuse, Yale gets literally thousands of applications and they send out rejections efficiently and promptly. UCLA has way less applicants. Ugh sorry to rant.

I feel the same way! It is good for the applicant and good for the school's reputation to send out rejections timely. When you are in limbo you spend your time fishing for information online, instead of planning for the interviews you might have. Stanford's application deadline was December 1. It's comical. Definitely won't apply again if I go through this a second time.