MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

5 hours ago, wickedwired said:

To those who interviewed at yale: was anyone invited to the student interview? A friend of mine who went there said candidates usually also get interviewed by current students. I haven't got anything in my inbox so just wondering if it will take place soon or what 

ive heard historically that current/ or 1st year students have a say in who gets in. But this round I didn't hear anything specifically mentioning that, or even mentioning that students would be privy to the interviews. I'm not under the impression that there is a separate 'student interview'. I don't know if that has ever been a thing. Perhaps when they had interviews in person (pre-covid), current students were also there, but that wasn't the case this year for (at least) yale sculpture interviews. 

My interview with VCU sculpture did have current students in it actually and they asked me each a question I believe. They were alongside faculty. 

4 hours ago, asdjhfgl said:

interviewed for UCLA and haven't received any updates, it's been almost two weeks. Anyone else interview and receive an update or acceptance call? Painting and Drawing

From speaking with the sculpture department head, he made it seem clear that decisions for the whole school of art would come out mid-march. They give the financial aid with the admission decision so this is why it takes a little longer to my understanding. 

Hey everyone, 

I've seen a few people post about where they stand with apps, and here's mine:

University of Oregon: Interviewed 1/31. Waitlisted - will know by April 15th at the latest.

Pacific Northwest College of Art: Interview invite 2/23 - to be scheduled 3/5 or 3/6 

University of Colorado Boulder: Nothing, though I assume it's a no since I've seen others have had interviews in ceramics.

University of Washington Seattle: Nothing and impatiently waiting!

California State San Bernardino: Nothing yet, but their app isn't due until 5/1 

This is so anxiety inducing!! 

7 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

From speaking with the sculpture department head, he made it seem clear that decisions for the whole school of art would come out mid-march. They give the financial aid with the admission decision so this is why it takes a little longer to my understanding. 

ysoa is not need-blind right? which means you could be rejected on the basis of funding? this is concerning to me because without funding I would not be able to attend.

Just now, murmur said:

ysoa is not need-blind right? which means you could be rejected on the basis of funding? this is concerning to me because without funding I would not be able to attend.

Hey they are need-blind but that means the opposite. It means if you filled out the fafsa and css they use that to determine your aid, not by merit. I’ve never heard of a school rejecting someone because they didn’t have funding.

6 minutes ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

Hey they are need-blind but that means the opposite. It means if you filled out the fafsa and css they use that to determine your aid, not by merit. I’ve never heard of a school rejecting someone because they didn’t have funding.

ohh ok good to know! I knew Yale was need-blind but thought the school of art was not. thanks :) 

14 hours ago, asdjhfgl said:

interviewed for UCLA and haven't received any updates, it's been almost two weeks. Anyone else interview and receive an update or acceptance call? Painting and Drawing

do you know if the painting and drawing department at UCLA sends out interview invitations in batches or has it all been sent out? I'm assuming its a rejection for me :"")