MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Hey everyone! This year I’ve been applying for MFA programs (design concentration, first time, international), got a bunch of acceptances (and rejections lol) and now am kinda nervous about choosing the right one.

I was filling out a standard MICA’s confirmation of admission letter receipt form and one of the final checkboxes struck me:

Space Availability: While we strive to accommodate all admitted candidates, spaces in the program are limited. Admission offers are made on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity. In some cases, if a program reaches capacity candidates may be obligated to defer their acceptance to the following year, starting with the last received deposit. Accordingly, we encourage candidates to accept their offer promptly to guarantee space is available in the program.

I was planning on making my final decision closer to early/mid April, but now I feel slightly anxious bc apparently you can be admitted but still not get in? That’s confusing. Anyone has any advice/thoughts on that and when is best to accept the offer?

1 hour ago, DesyDes said:

Hey everyone! This year I’ve been applying for MFA programs (design concentration, first time, international), got a bunch of acceptances (and rejections lol) and now am kinda nervous about choosing the right one.

I was filling out a standard MICA’s confirmation of admission letter receipt form and one of the final checkboxes struck me:

Space Availability: While we strive to accommodate all admitted candidates, spaces in the program are limited. Admission offers are made on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity. In some cases, if a program reaches capacity candidates may be obligated to defer their acceptance to the following year, starting with the last received deposit. Accordingly, we encourage candidates to accept their offer promptly to guarantee space is available in the program.

I was planning on making my final decision closer to early/mid April, but now I feel slightly anxious bc apparently you can be admitted but still not get in? That’s confusing. Anyone has any advice/thoughts on that and when is best to accept the offer?

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you've set your mind on MICA, I got the very similar statement from my SVA acceptance in mid-Feb and as far as I know I can still submit the deposit now. I think it's a trick to speed up the process somehow. I personally would suggest you to make a informed decision so don't let them get into your head😂

2 hours ago, DesyDes said:

Besides, they got a bunch of waitlist applicants, so I mean, what's the point of waitlisting if they can't even provide enough space for admitted students. 

6 hours ago, sad face said:

For those who got into Cranbrook, was it a call or an email? It's getting me worried because I haven't heard from them (acceptance or rejection)

It was an unofficial email from Martha and Willie

hey everyone!

as an international applicant, does anyone know if financial aid documents must be translated by a certified translator? and has anyone heard anything/had experience with the noncustodial waiver petition for yale financial aid? 

11 minutes ago, darkrat88 said:

hey everyone!

as an international applicant, does anyone know if financial aid documents must be translated by a certified translator? and has anyone heard anything/had experience with the noncustodial waiver petition for yale financial aid? 

I don't think the translations need to be notarized. original documents and your translations would suffice I think. 

Instances for which parental information is waived include: deceased parents, documented abuse that has resulted in estrangement or court-ordered separation, extreme estrangement (parent(s) are not reachable without going through severe measures), or abandonment which resulted in adoption, foster, or other family care.

Unwillingness, age, marital status, and other standards of dependency are not conditions for which the School of Art waives the requirement of parental data.

6 minutes ago, Beenthereonce said:

Nope haven’t gotten nothing yet why

impatiently waiting here lol. 

1 minute ago, murmur said:

I don't think the translations need to be notarized. original documents and your translations would suffice I think. 

Instances for which parental information is waived include: deceased parents, documented abuse that has resulted in estrangement or court-ordered separation, extreme estrangement (parent(s) are not reachable without going through severe measures), or abandonment which resulted in adoption, foster, or other family care.

Unwillingness, age, marital status, and other standards of dependency are not conditions for which the School of Art waives the requirement of parental data.

impatiently waiting here lol. 

ME TOOOO! I want to decide already smh and the other thing that is holding me back is the package, I am thinking between VCU and yale what are you guys thought?

18 hours ago, COSPWC said:

I had a painting interview last week. Haven’t heard anything yet though, so based on Columbia’s history of sending out informal acceptances within days of the interview, not feeling particularly optimistic.

I'm also waiting after the Columbia Sculpture interview, but if I haven't heard from them so far, should I drop my expectations?

It's my top choice, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear from them.. I just want to know if all accepted applicants receive personal emails or not.😭

25 minutes ago, DeltaG24 said:

I haven't heard anything since my interview 2.5 weeks ago, which I thought went very well. Maybe not. 

Yeah I know someone who has received their offer (Pratt painting) on Feb 26 so I am confused why it’s taking so long to reject (or waitlist) me. (Although Pratt does practice rolling basis)

1 hour ago, eatsomeveggies said:

is anybody offered scholarships from CalArts painting? I didn't find any information regarding scholarships in my acceptance letter so I'm assuming I didn't receive any

Same here.

A question from the POV of someone hoping to get off a waitlist: have people been given a date that they have to accept an offer by? Does anyone have a sense of when you’ll   decline offers you know you aren’t interested in?

Hey there! I was accepted to Cranbrook and love the school but not the price tag:'(( wondering if anybody on here has had success negotiating more funding? Or referencing other offers you received to get that additional funding? Every school is so different so just wondering if anyone has done this/been successful with their Cranbrook acceptance 

11 hours ago, sad face said:

For those who got into Cranbrook, was it a call or an email? It's getting me worried because I haven't heard from them (acceptance or rejection)

I received an email from the artist in residence of my program notifying me of my acceptance and then a separate email with an official offer package from admin. However, those of us that received this only have til Friday(15th) to accept or decline our spots. So after that deadline(obviously not everyone will accept so that will open those slots back up) they will reach out to those on the waitlist.

Also, every artist in residence has a different way of doing this so rather than the whole school being on the same timeline/deadlines they each handle the process individually and in their own manner(I found this out by talking to other candidates of varying programs)...so it could just be your artist in residence is still deciding:)

3 hours ago, Beenthereonce said:

ME TOOOO! I want to decide already smh and the other thing that is holding me back is the package, I am thinking between VCU and yale what are you guys thought?

I think it depends on the package you get. Funding is the highest of my priorities since its an MFA at the end of the day, so no guarantees afterwards.

21 hours ago, COSPWC said:

I had a painting interview last week. Haven’t heard anything yet though, so based on Columbia’s history of sending out informal acceptances within days of the interview, not feeling particularly optimistic.

damn :"") seems like they already finished interviewing so I should just give up my hope

2 hours ago, ArtsyAF said:

Hey there! I was accepted to Cranbrook and love the school but not the price tag:'(( wondering if anybody on here has had success negotiating more funding? Or referencing other offers you received to get that additional funding? Every school is so different so just wondering if anyone has done this/been successful with their Cranbrook acceptance 

A friend of mine got into cranbrook off the wait list last year. They were able to negotiate funding so in total, I think including on campus housing, they are paying 20K each year. 

1 hour ago, Sweetie123 said:

A friend of mine got into cranbrook off the wait list last year. They were able to negotiate funding so in total, I think including on campus housing, they are paying 20K each year. 

Wow, that is super encouraging and so great for them! Thanks for the insight!

I sent an email earlier so we will see what happens and I will keep you all updated on if its successful or not😬