(Canada 2024) MPP/MPA Applications

heathers__3

5 hours ago, Hamdiya said:

Congrats to everyone who got into the MPPA program. I was wondering if you guys think they're still handing out admissions or should I assume I didn't get in? My application still says recommended for assessment. 

I think they're still going to be handing out admissions though i've noticed that the amount of funding they give is progressively lower. So if you receive an acceptance, I wouldn't expect the funding to be much if at all. Goodluck!

2 hours ago, Hamdiya said:

Just wanted to say that I accepted my offer to UOttawa MPA with a 7.5k scholarship. If anyone else is going let me know 🙂

Congrats! Did you end up hearing back from Carleton?

16 hours ago, Tz17 said:

Congrats! Did you end up hearing back from Carleton?

Thanks. I haven't heard back from Carleton yet, but Ottawa was my first choice and I was just waiting to see if Carelton would offer a better funding package. Didn't seem likely now so I accepted UOttawa 

On 3/7/2024 at 12:14 PM, BKermit said:

Still stuck on "preliminary review required" for my MPPA app... Do international students get their offers later? I have to respond to other program offers in the next two weeks and I'm getting a little nervous...

Internatinoal student here too. This should be the case. I'm in contact with a couple other international applicants and we are all on the same boat. Offers for international applicants are usually sent out at the end of March but this year the delay *might* be longer due to the new international student policy. Grad students are not a part of the new policy but it requires the provincial governments to cooperate and they are very reluctant to do so.

59 minutes ago, Tz17 said:

Just got accepted into Queens MPA. Do they provide funding? Not sure if I got awarded anything or not. 

I got accepted as well! The letter says funding information will be shared in June.

Just now, th0tdaughter said:

I got accepted as well! The letter says funding information will be shared in June.

Yeah I realized that when I started to read it closely. Not sure how i feel about the possibility of getting funding vs guranteed funding like other schools lol

1 hour ago, Tz17 said:

Yeah I realized that when I started to read it closely. Not sure how i feel about the possibility of getting funding vs guranteed funding like other schools lol

Agreed. My impression from alumni is that they are very very generous with their funding, though I'm not sure how much that will change this year given the recent instability of the program and Queens in general..

Edited by th0tdaughter

Hi everyone! Today, I got accepted into Carleton's MPPA :) However, I plan on accepting my offer for NIPSIA, because I got offered more funding. If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer. Also, congrats to everyone who got into their top program! and good luck to anyone who is still waiting!!

14 hours ago, HanBanan888 said:

Hi everyone! Today, I got accepted into Carleton's MPPA :) However, I plan on accepting my offer for NIPSIA, because I got offered more funding. If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer. Also, congrats to everyone who got into their top program! and good luck to anyone who is still waiting!!

Congratulations!!!

Anyone here is going to University of Calgary MPP ‘24 program? 

I received LoA from UofC (MPP) and Western (MPA) earlier this month, and still cannot decide between these two program. I am more into UofC, but as an international student, I heard that London is a more social and lively city for newcomers. 

Edited by Serena To

I've gotten offers (International Student) from Munk MGA, Carleton MA and MPPA. Munk is providing funding but Carleton is giving me literally nothing (even after leveraging Munk's funding).

The graduate administrator at NPSIA lied to me saying that I would get a "favourable offer with a funding package very soon" and then offers me nothing... It this just a symptom of being an international applicant? They're also somehow never in the office. I've been at wits end for the last two weeks now because of all of this nonsense.

My first choice is still Carleton just because its still cheaper to go there even considering the funding from Munk, but I feel like absolute shit for having to pay out of pocket and move to an entirely new city.

12 hours ago, BKermit said:

I've gotten offers (International Student) from Munk MGA, Carleton MA and MPPA. Munk is providing funding but Carleton is giving me literally nothing (even after leveraging Munk's funding).

The graduate administrator at NPSIA lied to me saying that I would get a "favourable offer with a funding package very soon" and then offers me nothing... It this just a symptom of being an international applicant? They're also somehow never in the office. I've been at wits end for the last two weeks now because of all of this nonsense.

My first choice is still Carleton just because its still cheaper to go there even considering the funding from Munk, but I feel like absolute shit for having to pay out of pocket and move to an entirely new city.

Hey I'm wondering when did you email NPSIA? I'm getting the same vibe from them. I did a quick look up and from past years it seems like international students get offers at the beginning of the second round (early April I assume). My MPPA application is still at "preliminary review required" stage, so this is lowkey worrying. 

16 hours ago, QuantumCoder said:

Hey I'm wondering when did you email NPSIA? I'm getting the same vibe from them. I did a quick look up and from past years it seems like international students get offers at the beginning of the second round (early April I assume). My MPPA application is still at "preliminary review required" stage, so this is lowkey worrying. 

I got my MPPA response first (earlier in March) and both my offers were in the first round. I spoke to the person handling admissions and they said that they have $0 budgeted towards entrance scholarships towards international students, so they couldn't do anything about it...

As for your application, I would probably call and email their office about it. I think the only reason why they got to my application was because I was being so persistent about trying to call them.

11 hours ago, BKermit said:

I got my MPPA response first (earlier in March) and both my offers were in the first round. I spoke to the person handling admissions and they said that they have $0 budgeted towards entrance scholarships towards international students, so they couldn't do anything about it...

As for your application, I would probably call and email their office about it. I think the only reason why they got to my application was because I was being so persistent about trying to call them.

The fact that MPPA doesn't give scholarships to international students is f'ed up. I've heard NPSIA's scholarship is more generous so hopefully they have some for international students. I'll email them on Tuesday after the Easter break. Thanks for the info.

Anyone know the status of Queen's MPA program? I'm with the understanding that they are not suspending the program but is that 100% confirmed?