Spanish PhD Fall 2024

6 minutes ago, Paolapaola said:

Did someone apply to the Spanish and Portuguese program in Yale? Did someone already have an interview?

I didn't apply to to the spanish and portuguese program at Yale this year, but I did last year and I did an interview (but ultimately did not get in). Last year, I received an email invitation for an interview on January 18th and had my interview on January 24th, and then received my rejection on January 31st. So judging by the timeline from last year, im assuming Yale has already completed their interviews and should have already made their decisions by this point. 

Still no word from the programs that I applied to, but last year around the end of this week was when I received news from my current university Temple.  Hoping to hear back by the end of the week.  

11 hours ago, Mr5t1k said:

Still no word from the programs that I applied to, but last year around the end of this week was when I received news from my current university Temple.  Hoping to hear back by the end of the week.  

I sent an email yesterday to Rutgers and they just answer me that they are still reviewing the applications and putting together offer packages. This process is so anxious!

29 minutes ago, Ecriture feminine said:

I sent an email yesterday to Rutgers and they just answer me that they are still reviewing the applications and putting together offer packages. This process is so anxious!

This is so much more positive than I would have hoped for!  Fingers crossed!  I really liked their program design and faculty.  Thanks for the update.

PS Do you know if they did interviews?  It seems like the places I applied this year don't tend to do interviews, so I have been on radio silence for awhile.

Edited by Mr5t1k

2 hours ago, Mr5t1k said:

This is so much more positive than I would have hoped for!  Fingers crossed!  I really liked their program design and faculty.  Thanks for the update.

PS Do you know if they did interviews?  It seems like the places I applied this year don't tend to do interviews, so I have been on radio silence for awhile.

I'm unsure! Both of the programs that accepted me had an interview process. I suggest writing to the programs and ask. This is my second application cycle, and last time, they informed me of rejection when I inquired.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:30 PM, MillerS said:

@anonymous clown

Hello! Congratulations on your acceptance in UC Davis!

So, I received the same invitation to UCLA's Open House, but decided to participate via Zoom.

As far as I understand it, they said not to take the invitation as an official acceptance - the letters would be sent by February 16th. However, it also seems very strange to me that they could spend money on reimbursement (flight, accommodation) if the person hadn't been accepted for the program. It wouldn't make much sense, would it?

So I think we have a good chance of being accepted. Let's hope so!! 🙂 

Hello! I am also an applicant for Spanish this cycle and I am waiting for UCLA. Has anyone gotten any news from them? They mentioned in their email that we would receive news about admissions on the 16th, but I haven't heard anything and its making me nervous :')

It seems that Princeton called the admitted students today. I heard from 3 students admitted. UC Berkeley will hold an Open House in March. That's all I've heard...

Edited by MillerS

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting to hear from two universities:  Ohio State and Rutgers.  Both of them said they were delayed in their decision process this year and this seems to be a trend on r/gradadmissions as well.  Has anyone else encountered this too?

On 2/27/2024 at 4:30 PM, apio said:

Any news from NYU? I did my interview on February 2nd and was expecting the invitation for the open house last week... 

Hi, just saw your message. This happened to me last year. I interviewed with NYU but was initially put on a hidden waitlist and did not get invited to their open house.  They contacted me about a letter of admission on April 4th, presumably after other students on the initial acceptance list had already turned down the program. By that time, I had already decided to go elsewhere. If it is a very important program to you, just know you might have to wait a very long time at this point.