SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Does anyone know when the increase in funding will kick in?! Is it likely to start for people awarded SSHRC this season? Or will it be starting in our year 2?

I've heard both ways. The 2024/25 budget came out two weeks after the fiscal year rolled over (1 April), which is super super late. Normally it would be approved before we move into the next FY. So it just depends on when they approve it. The NDP said they would support the Lib budget, so it looks like it will go through, it's just a waiting game. Someone commented that technically we are in the 2023 competition year, but that doesn't take sense to me as we would be getting funded from the 24/25 FY not 23/24, as that budget is spent and closed. SO I think we're getting it, I just don't know when. I have a meeting with my school's Dean tomorrow to chat about logistics and I'm hoping to get any insight they may have - but this increase is unprecedented, so it's not likely anyone really knows how it is going to roll out. Just another waiting game. Congrats on your award!! :) 

I just watched the HoC sitting from yesterday and it looks like it did pass? 

Edited by QuantumQuill

Hi everyone! I received CGS-D prior to beginning my program and I have been accepted to a different program than what I anticipated when I was completing the application. I know the award is transferable, however, I have concerns over whether I’ll be able to do exactly what I proposed. My project will have to change slightly, although, I likely will be able to maintain some of the original variables I intended to measure, and my project will still fall under SSHRC criteria. I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into how SSHRC feels about this, or if it’s challenging to change your research. Thanks! 

39 minutes ago, QuantumQuill said:

I've heard both ways. The 2024/25 budget came out two weeks after the fiscal year rolled over (1 April), which is super super late. Normally it would be approved before we move into the next FY. So it just depends on when they approve it. The NDP said they would support the Lib budget, so it looks like it will go through, it's just a waiting game. Someone commented that technically we are in the 2023 competition year, but that doesn't take sense to me as we would be getting funded from the 24/25 FY not 23/24, as that budget is spent and closed. SO I think we're getting it, I just don't know when. I have a meeting with my school's Dean tomorrow to chat about logistics and I'm hoping to get any insight they may have - but this increase is unprecedented, so it's not likely anyone really knows how it is going to roll out. Just another waiting game. Congrats on your award!! :) 

That’s amazing news!!! Thank you so much! If your Dean knows anything, please impart what you can here. 😂

2 hours ago, Hopeful_2024 said:

Hi everyone! I received CGS-D prior to beginning my program and I have been accepted to a different program than what I anticipated when I was completing the application. I know the award is transferable, however, I have concerns over whether I’ll be able to do exactly what I proposed. My project will have to change slightly, although, I likely will be able to maintain some of the original variables I intended to measure, and my project will still fall under SSHRC criteria. I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into how SSHRC feels about this, or if it’s challenging to change your research. Thanks! 

Congratulations!! Per multiple profs & colleagues who’ve won the SSHRC in previous years, I’m quite certain you can change your research project to anything you want with no bearing on your award. 

7 hours ago, ChatPhD said:

Congratulations!! Per multiple profs & colleagues who’ve won the SSHRC in previous years, I’m quite certain you can change your research project to anything you want with no bearing on your award. 

Totally agree. In fact, I think it's expected that your project will change as you progress along. Only issue is probably if you change supervisors and/or the subject (like from theology to biology or something hah)

13 hours ago, QuantumQuill said:

That's super insightful. It would also make sense that some of the funds go towards the waitlisters. The budget says that they will "build on" the number of awards in 2024-2025. 

Does anyone know if deferring the start of the award from May to Sept is as simple as sending an email to the address SSHRC provides? (I’m expecting replies from their end to take a while given the volume of messages they’re likely receiving.)

1 hour ago, ChatPhD said:

Does anyone know if deferring the start of the award from May to Sept is as simple as sending an email to the address SSHRC provides? (I’m expecting replies from their end to take a while given the volume of messages they’re likely receiving.)

They responded to me in less than 24 hours to resolve my issue with Extranet!

Does anyone know when our institution is allowed to announce the results publicly? I am attending an American university and they want to congratulate me. The offer letter from SSHRC says that we should wait until the results are available on https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/index-eng.aspx

but it seems that last year's results were just announced this past March! Does this mean my school is not allowed to say anything until at least next year?!

Posted (edited)

Did anyone receive a follow up email when they emailed SSHRC to accept the award? This is the right email right: fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

I asked them to acknowledge the receipt of the email I sent saying I accept the award but the following day I just got an email saying 'A folder has been created for the award management of your SSHRC Doctoral Awards...'

Edited by SSHRCMyResponsibilities

Just wondering what the chances of more funds becoming available or if anyone has heard of this happening? My letter said I was recommended for funding but SSHRC couldn't fund because there were no more funds lol!

12 hours ago, gradnut said:

Just wondering what the chances of more funds becoming available or if anyone has heard of this happening? My letter said I was recommended for funding but SSHRC couldn't fund because there were no more funds lol!

Its possible depending on your rank if you are high up on the waitlist or way at the end.. there is still no info about more funds for waitlisters but we can keep track of news through support our science:

https://www.supportourscience.ca/

13 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

Did anyone receive a reply email when they emailed SSHRC to accept the award?

I did; it took them less than two full business days to acknowledge receipt of my acceptance and to tell me my request to defer was being passed to a SSHRC officer. Hopefully you’ll hear back from them soon.

Thanks. I mean the very next day I did receive like a response (not from a human I think) saying, 'A folder has been created for the award management of your SSHRC Doctoral Awards'.

But nothing saying anything like 'We have confirmed your decision to accept etc. etc.' despite me asking for an acknowledgement of the receipt of my email.

I'll see if anything happens on Monday and if not I'll send a follow up.

7 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

Thanks. I mean the very next day I did receive like a response (not from a human I think) saying, 'A folder has been created for the award management of your SSHRC Doctoral Awards'.

But nothing saying anything like 'We have confirmed your decision to accept etc. etc.' despite me asking for an acknowledgement of the receipt of my email.

I received that as well, but I have yet to accept my award. I think that was just automated to all successful candidates. I plan on accepting next week but I'm still waffling between May and Sept given the budget changes... hmm.

Can someone walk me through how we actually upload documents? When I follow the link in this email, it takes me to an empty folder with no option to upload anything. 

9 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, QuantumQuill said:

I received that as well, but I have yet to accept my award. I think that was just automated to all successful candidates. I plan on accepting next week but I'm still waffling between May and Sept given the budget changes... hmm.

It would be amazing if they could tell us that if the budget is passed, say it’s accepted in June by parliament, that the May payments will be affected as they are indeed part of the 2024-2025 award year the budget mentions. 

Edited by JB9797

2 hours ago, JB9797 said:

It would be amazing if they could tell us that if the budget is passed, say it’s accepted in June by parliament, that the May payments will be affected as they are indeed part of the 2024-2025 award year the budget mentions. 

The budget was passed on May 1st! It's unlikely that the departments know much yet in terms of time line, as it can take time to roll funds out across the departments, even though the budget is passed.

Source: I used to work in government (not THAT government).

9 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

Can someone walk me through how we actually upload documents? When I follow the link in this email, it takes me to an empty folder with no option to upload anything. 

I remember when it first came out I think I was able to upload and then when I checked yesterday I couldn't. Did you accept your award yet?

When I emailed about potential funding increases and whether it would be advised to start in September instead of May, I got the below response - not very helpful but seems like they are just as clueless as we are:

Thank you for reaching out. The three federal granting agencies (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) welcome the new investments in Canada's research ecosystem, including the increase of the annual value of master's and doctoral student scholarships, and postdoctoral fellowships. As is the usual process following a Federal Budget announcement, we are awaiting further direction from the government. We will share more information with awardees, grantees and institutions once it becomes available, however, we do not have a timeline of when this can be expected.
That said, you may choose to change the start date of your award without any supporting documents until January 1, 2025 (last date available). To do so, please send me an email requesting this change.
A deferral of start date may also be requested, but it must follow our regulations, as outlined in the TARTAHG.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

8 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

I remember when it first came out I think I was able to upload and then when I checked yesterday I couldn't. Did you accept your award yet?

Same. I accepted mine and changed my start date from May to September. Got emails from SSHRC acknowledging both. Have yet to send an email to them about the upload function not working.

2 hours ago, ChatPhD said:

Same. I accepted mine and changed my start date from May to September. Got emails from SSHRC acknowledging both. Have yet to send an email to them about the upload function not working.

Lol don't worry...I just sent the email to say that I can't upload.