SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

8 hours ago, Vf1 said:

got recommended for funding but SSHRC can't fund me.... beyond frustrating!

Yes I'm wondering what this means... may more $$ become available? What are the odds of that? 

8 hours ago, pugluvz said:

Thanks for clarifying. If you were recommended for funding, does that mean you are on the waitlist? I'm hoping that since the federal budget mentioned an increased number of scholarships for SSHRC/NSERC/CIHR that more people may get off the waitlist this year. so frustrating either way! fingers crossed for you

Did you find this out? Did they tell everyone that made it this far that they were recommended for funding? 

Got SSHRC CGS-D committee 4. My heart goes out to everyone who didn’t get the result they hoped for (& undoubtedly deserve). I wish we were all celebrating together 😕

Posted (edited)

So happy for everyone who got it and that the wait is over. Unfortunately I did not receive funding. Dissappointed, but I'm still up for some University funding so hoping maybe that will come through for me in the end and there is always next year 🤞

Edited by lyonharted07

Committee 2B, surname P here: no money. I actually scored worse than last year though only by a slim margin (this year: 9.35; last year: 9.36) 😅 not sure I'll bother again, though I'm technically eligible for another year. I don't know if putting myself through this fucking ringer a third time is worth it, since they don't seem to like my application any better even though I KNOW it was stronger. I know my project is good, and it's getting written whether they give me money or not.

"Recommended for funding" my ass. Honestly, why tell people this? It feels like spitting in the eye of a person who's been rejected. Mazel tov again to those who received funding--and best of luck to my fellows who did not. We go on.

40 minutes ago, ChatPhD said:

Got SSHRC CGS-D committee 4. My heart goes out to everyone who didn’t get the result they hoped for (& undoubtedly deserve). I wish we were all celebrating together 😕

Congratulations!! Would you be willing to share your subcommittee and stats? I got funded with a lower score than I see a lot of other people posting so I was curious how the rest of committee 4 fared. 

Committee 4F, recommended by merit committee but unable to offer due to a lack of funding.

I had a 10.06 with 4.84 / 6 in research ability and a 5.22 / 6 in relevant experience. Seems like I just missed the cutoff? Feels bad. Not sure where this leaves me at all.

For those asking earlier between the difference of CGS-D and SSHRC doctoral fellowship, I found this from the CGS-D page: For all three agencies, only one application must be completed and submitted to be considered for both a CGS D award and either an agency-specific doctoral award (for NSERC/SSHRC applications) or any available doctoral Priority Announcements (for CIHR applications). CGS D awards are then offered for the top-ranked eligible applications in each agency’s competition.

So, if you were offered the CGS-D, but aren't eligible (i.e., foreign institution), it is only just an automatic award given your ranking. The SSHRC should then convert it to the doctoral fellowship (looking at previous years).

Another question: on the extranet, does it say "CGS-Doc" for everyone? I'm talking about the link you click, which then opens up to the page with the PDFs and zip file. 

For all of those who received a CGS-D, but are at foreign institutions, I just received this clarification email from SSHRC this morning. They give you the CGS-D to incentivize you to come back to Canada, but because I won't, they have to convert to the award. I hope with the fewer funds offered to me, someone else may be eligible from the waitlist!

Good morning,

In this case, SSHRC offered you the CGS D because you were eligible for it (based on your score and completed months of study) in case your plans changed, and you decided to pursue your doctoral studies in Canada. 

However, because you intend to go abroad, the process now is for SSHRC to offer you the SSHRC Doctoral Award. 

A new Notice of Award will be uploaded on the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants, you will receive an e-mail once it is available.  You then will need to send us an email accepting the SSHRC Doctoral Award. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, golmangoli said:

Congratulations to those who received awards. I also got one . 

Committee 4F
Research ability and potential: 5.31 / 6
Relevant experience and achievements obtained within and beyond academia: 5.79 / 6
Total Score: 11.10 / 12

Does anyone know if this is the email address to accept the award? 

fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

Also, do you know about the procedure to claim the first installment? 

I would like to start asap which would be May 1st. But not sure who to send the form to.

Thank you 

My school sent me info on the installment! On my award notice my start date says September 2024... I'm wondering if I can claim it for May as well?

ETA, yes that is the email to accept.

Edited by QuantumQuill

11 hours ago, Shannon1111 said:

I received the same letter, and I am wondering too. Did you find anything out? Did they just send that same letter to everyone who made it to this round? As in, if we made it this far we are considered "recommended for funding"? 

Hi, I didn't find out much more but I do think we're on some kind of "waitlist" (though the chances, I would say, of being offered $ later on is pretty slim). From what I could see from some Googling, there is a middle category between offered and not offered, which is recommended but not funded (I think I missed the cutoff by 0.1 which is pretty frustrating but alas).

24 minutes ago, QuantumQuill said:

My school sent me info on the installment! On my award notice my start date says September 2024... I'm wondering if I can claim it for May as well?

ETA, yes that is the email to accept.

Mine says May 1st even though I didn't know about receiving it until the end of May 1st. I don't understand why they would give you a later date than me?? 

11 hours ago, Shannon1111 said:

Did you find this out? Did they tell everyone that made it this far that they were recommended for funding? 

I'm not sure! I don't think everyone gets told that they were recommended for funding, I think people who were told their application is meritorious but that there was a lack of funding get put on the waitlist. But I don't know the details. I'm hoping that the increased budget could mean more awards for folks this year but still nothing confirmed 

1 minute ago, golmangoli said:

Mine says May 1st even though I didn't know about receiving it until the end of May 1st. I don't understand why they would give you a later date than me?? 

I think I might have put Sept 2024 on the drop down during my application? I honestly can't remember. But from what I heard from students who received it last year in my department once they were awarded it, they had the option to choose either. I heard our school prefers May start dates.

Posted (edited)

Just so you know, you can email them and they will provide you with your rank (they did for me). I also followed up to ask about the cut off for the last awarded applicant in my committee for transparency. In my case I was 11 spaces away from being funded but only a .1 point off someone who was offered the award which doesn’t make a lot of sense because it would mean that 11 people had the same score. I’m really not sure why they didn’t post it on the results page this year since they will now have to answer emails from everyone on the waiting list individually. I am not keeping any hope alive about getting off the waitlist any more but I just wanted to echo the other folks who were mentioning how disappointing this whole process has been. I am confused by the lack of transparency for such a prestigious award. Anyway, congrats to everyone who won and good luck to everyone applying again next year :)

Edited by AB2222

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

Congratulations!! Would you be willing to share your subcommittee and stats? I got funded with a lower score than I see a lot of other people posting so I was curious how the rest of committee 4 fared. 

Thanks! I'm not at home right now, but my score was somewhere in the 10.5s—can't remember exactly and didn't want to wait to reply since I'm likely to forget (ETA: 4F)

Edited by ChatPhD

Any one here familiar with Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement? I am interested in applying for it again, as I previously received MSFSS during my SSHRC Masters program. Do you know if I am eligible to apply for the MSFSS for my doctoral studies as well? Has anyone done this?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JB9797 said:

Another question: on the extranet, does it say "CGS-Doc" for everyone? I'm talking about the link you click, which then opens up to the page with the PDFs and zip file. 

Mine says: CGS-Doc 2.

The pdfs were not included on the extranet for me, so I'm desperately trying to contact SSHRC to find out the terms/amount of my award... 😕

Edited by Gretta Conroy

2 hours ago, JB9797 said:

For all of those who received a CGS-D, but are at foreign institutions, I just received this clarification email from SSHRC this morning. They give you the CGS-D to incentivize you to come back to Canada, but because I won't, they have to convert to the award. I hope with the fewer funds offered to me, someone else may be eligible from the waitlist!

Good morning,

In this case, SSHRC offered you the CGS D because you were eligible for it (based on your score and completed months of study) in case your plans changed, and you decided to pursue your doctoral studies in Canada. 

However, because you intend to go abroad, the process now is for SSHRC to offer you the SSHRC Doctoral Award. 

A new Notice of Award will be uploaded on the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants, you will receive an e-mail once it is available.  You then will need to send us an email accepting the SSHRC Doctoral Award. 

I saw you posted this first. I was about to. I got the same email. Fingers crossed that the new budget passes!

3 hours ago, JB9797 said:

Good morning,

It's so funny though, because I have been at an international institution for 8 months now... Oh let me just forget all about that and somehow get into a Canadian institution... in May... 

I do vaguely remember someone earlier in this thread wondering about whether it makes sense to do a September 2024 (vs a May 2024) start date to ensure the higher payout should the budget pass (fingers crossed) - has anyone looked into that??

Weighing in to commiserate with everyone and thank ppl for sharing their news. Congrats to those who have earned & solidarity with those who didn't- this whole thing is frustratingly arbitrary, so don't let it get you down. 

I applied in 2021 (for 2022-2023) and was rejected outright (My application was "meritorious but not selected"). However, this year I received the whole "selected but not funded" spiel, which I do think means there is some sort of "waitlist" as opposed to just funded/not. 

Also, seems like the Budget 2023 received "royal assent" and went into effect in late June 2023, so hopefully we can expect a similar timeline this year.

Best of luck to everyone! Fingers crossed that we will hear more about timeline and whether there is extra funding after the May 24th deadline for those who were awarded. 

21 hours ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Does anyone know when the increase in funding will kick in?! Is it likely to start for people awarded SSHRC this season? Or will it be starting in our year 2?

Anybody? (desperate, haha)

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Does anyone know when the increase in funding will kick in?! Is it likely to start for people awarded SSHRC this season? Or will it be starting in our year 2?

I've heard both ways. The 2024/25 budget came out two weeks after the fiscal year rolled over (1 April), which is super super late. Normally it would be approved before we move into the next FY. So it just depends on when they approve it. The NDP said they would support the Lib budget, so it looks like it will go through, it's just a waiting game. Someone commented that technically we are in the 2023 competition year, but that doesn't take sense to me as we would be getting funded from the 24/25 FY not 23/24, as that budget is spent and closed. SO I think we're getting it, I just don't know when. I have a meeting with my school's Dean tomorrow to chat about logistics and I'm hoping to get any insight they may have - but this increase is unprecedented, so it's not likely anyone really knows how it is going to roll out. Just another waiting game. Congrats on your award!! :) 

I just watched the HoC sitting from yesterday and it looks like it did pass? 

Edited by QuantumQuill