SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

11 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

Do you know when the last chance to change your start date is? I'm thinking of doing the same.

I think it's May 24th. That was the deadline mentioned in my acceptance letter, saying I had to let them know if I accept the award or not by then--assuming the date to defer is the same.

17 hours ago, foucult said:

When I emailed about potential funding increases and whether it would be advised to start in September instead of May, I got the below response - not very helpful but seems like they are just as clueless as we are:

Thank you for reaching out. The three federal granting agencies (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) welcome the new investments in Canada's research ecosystem, including the increase of the annual value of master's and doctoral student scholarships, and postdoctoral fellowships. As is the usual process following a Federal Budget announcement, we are awaiting further direction from the government. We will share more information with awardees, grantees and institutions once it becomes available, however, we do not have a timeline of when this can be expected.
That said, you may choose to change the start date of your award without any supporting documents until January 1, 2025 (last date available). To do so, please send me an email requesting this change.
A deferral of start date may also be requested, but it must follow our regulations, as outlined in the TARTAHG.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

I got:

Should you wish to defer your start date to either September 1, 2024, or January 1, 2025, after accepting the award, please refer to our policies in the Tri-agency research training award holder’s guide. As is the usual process following a Federal Budget announcement, we are awaiting further direction from the government. We will share more information with awardees, grantees and institutions once it becomes available.

This is so frustrating because I do want the award to start ASAP to get the most money (I am going into my 2nd year international PhD, so I should be done before the 4 years of fellowship ends...). I am ok with it if my first payment is the old amount and the later payments are the new amount, but if it grandfathers me into the old amount.... that would be really frustrating.

UGH

On 5/2/2024 at 4:22 PM, pseudoacademic said:

I saw you posted this first. I was about to. I got the same email. Fingers crossed that the new budget passes!

Hi! Just seeing if anyone has had their CGS-D converted to the SSHRC yet. I was told “very soon”, but nothing yet…

12 hours ago, FutureAssyriologist said:

I got:

Should you wish to defer your start date to either September 1, 2024, or January 1, 2025, after accepting the award, please refer to our policies in the Tri-agency research training award holder’s guide. As is the usual process following a Federal Budget announcement, we are awaiting further direction from the government. We will share more information with awardees, grantees and institutions once it becomes available.

This is so frustrating because I do want the award to start ASAP to get the most money (I am going into my 2nd year international PhD, so I should be done before the 4 years of fellowship ends...). I am ok with it if my first payment is the old amount and the later payments are the new amount, but if it grandfathers me into the old amount.... that would be really frustrating.

UGH

I'm in the exact same boat (minus int. institution!). Let me know if you hear any further updates. Would love to start May 1 but I do not want to miss out on the increase. 

57 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

Hi! Just seeing if anyone has had their CGS-D converted to the SSHRC yet. I was told “very soon”, but nothing yet…

Me neither, but I also saw the email just now of technical problems.

Hi all-- firstly, thank you to everyone for still being active and discussing these budget increase-related concerns!

I deferred my start date to January 2025, waiting to hear back on whether or not that requires documentation. I picked the latest possible date because I would like my award amount to reflect the budget increase (duh!). What start date did you all choose? 

I contacted my university staff in charge for grants and It seems that the increase could be paid retroactively when it's voted. So  I'm not sure it's necessary to postpone the start date to have the increased amount. Anyhow I think it would be unfair to pay students (awarded from the same competition) different amounts just because the date of the vote was after the grant starting date.

3 hours ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Hi all-- firstly, thank you to everyone for still being active and discussing these budget increase-related concerns!

I deferred my start date to January 2025, waiting to hear back on whether or not that requires documentation. I picked the latest possible date because I would like my award amount to reflect the budget increase (duh!). What start date did you all choose? 

2 hours ago, celinef said:

I contacted my university staff in charge for grants and It seems that the increase could be paid retroactively when it's voted. So  I'm not sure it's necessary to postpone the start date to have the increased amount. Anyhow I think it would be unfair to pay students (awarded from the same competition) different amounts just because the date of the vote was after the grant starting date.

I haven't accepted yet, I was sort of waiting it out. I'll do either May or September but won't push it until January. Hopefully they do retroactive, though I'm going in with the mind that this year would be $20K and next will be $40K. That said, it's usually use it or lose it with budgets so they'll want to get that $$ out there ASAP.

14 hours ago, SSHRCMyResponsibilities said:

I can't remember where I saw it, but for providing evidence we are Canadian citizens, do we just send in scans of our passport/birth certificate?

The guide just said we provide a copy but didn't specifically say how.

It's in the holder's guide - you only need to do it if you're studying internationally I think and you just upload it to the folder.

• Canadian citizens must provide a copy of an official document indicating their citizenship (for example, birth certificate, citizenship card or passport).

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, FutureAssyriologist said:

It's in the holder's guide - you only need to do it if you're studying internationally I think and you just upload it to the folder.

• Canadian citizens must provide a copy of an official document indicating their citizenship (for example, birth certificate, citizenship card or passport).

Yes that's what I read too. I just wanted to clarify if they meant we should just provide a scan.

Edited by SSHRCMyResponsibilities

13 hours ago, QuantumQuill said:

I haven't accepted yet, I was sort of waiting it out. I'll do either May or September but won't push it until January. Hopefully they do retroactive, though I'm going in with the mind that this year would be $20K and next will be $40K. That said, it's usually use it or lose it with budgets so they'll want to get that $$ out there ASAP.

My thinking is similar to yours. I will wait until May 20th maybe to decide, but probably sticking with May to be honest.

17 hours ago, JB9797 said:

I was told new notice of award will be uploaded "shortly" yesterday... If you get it let me know how long it took!

7 minutes ago, FutureAssyriologist said:

My thinking is similar to yours. I will wait until May 20th maybe to decide, but probably sticking with May to be honest.

I was told new notice of award will be uploaded "shortly" yesterday... If you get it let me know how long it took!

Ok so we’re all getting the same wording then haha. I wonder if in the meantime we can upload the required documents (proof of citizenship and instalment form). Or maybe our award/application number will change. 

2 hours ago, JB9797 said:

Ok so we’re all getting the same wording then haha. I wonder if in the meantime we can upload the required documents (proof of citizenship and instalment form). Or maybe our award/application number will change. 

I have uploaded my passport and the payment details form but not the request for first instalment - waiting to see the actual award letter for that.. plus still waffling on start date 

Posted (edited)

QUESTIONS ABOUT SSHRC FELLOWSHIP OFFER

Hello all, 

As I had completed 28 months of my doctoral degree when I applied I was not considered for the SSHRC CGS-D but I did score an 11.5 and was awarded a SSHRC Fellowship at $20K for 12 months. I'm thrilled! I had a few questions if anyone might be able to help? 

• I had thought since I fell into the 25-36 month category I would be offered $40K for 24 months. Did anyone else just get the one year offer? Has anyone gone through the appeals process? 

• Is it really true that with the new budget the SSHRC Fellowship will go from $20K to 40K? I mean that's an insane increase! How are people not talking about this more?

• I always heard CGS-D is more prestigious than the fellowship? Is this real in academia or an outdated idea? 

• Pure curiosity is the 24 month cut off to qualify for the CGS-D a new thing? I've heard of 3rd and 4th year PhD students in previous years getting the CGS-D so I was surprised I didn't qualify especially as I fast-tracked after my first year MSc to PhD. 

Also I can't say enough after two years of applying to CIHR it is so worth adapting your project to apply to SSHRC if possible. I'm shocked I scored so high and am kicking myself for not applying to SSHRC in previous years. If you're in this boat I would be happy to chat with you (someone should learn from my mistakes)

Thanks so much, and congratulations to all who applied. It's tough out there! 

Edited by caffeinatedgradstudent77

On 5/7/2024 at 3:06 PM, Gretta Conroy said:

I deferred my start date from May to September (then later discovered that my institution actually requires us to start major awards like SSHRC in September).

On 5/8/2024 at 9:05 AM, JB9797 said:

My understanding is that the instalment form shouldn't be uploaded until 6 weeks before the start date of your award; so if you're starting in Sept 2024 (or Jan 2025), I don't think you need to upload that now.

On 5/7/2024 at 9:05 PM, pseudoacademic said:

Me neither, but I also saw the email just now of technical problems.

Just got my new NOA!

On 5/7/2024 at 9:54 PM, celinef said:

This is what I'm thinking. The budget mentions 2024-2025. For us, that is the payments for May, September, and January. So it should affect us all, including a retroactive payment for us in May. It would be great if the gov't could give us a provisional heads us, e.g., "If the budget is passed, then it will be retroactive for awards issued this year"

1 hour ago, JB9797 said:

Just got my new NOA!

This is what I'm thinking. The budget mentions 2024-2025. For us, that is the payments for May, September, and January. So it should affect us all, including a retroactive payment for us in May. It would be great if the gov't could give us a provisional heads us, e.g., "If the budget is passed, then it will be retroactive for awards issued this year"

Me too! Just got it.