2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

43 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

So are we assuming rejection/waitlist from GWU now, seems odd that there were only two acceptances on here

Why? I'm not the best person to give this advice, lol. However, wait until they confirm that you are rejected; probably, you are waitlisted, or maybe they release their decision in batches. 

4 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

Why? I'm not the best person to give this advice, lol. However, wait until they confirm that you are rejected; probably, you are waitlisted, or maybe they release their decision in batches. 

I was just assuming that if what the person said about an admitted students day on the 29th is true, then they wouldn’t give people less than 5 days notice to plan travel.

3 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

I was just assuming that if what the person said about an admitted students day on the 29th is true, then they wouldn’t give people less than 5 days notice to plan travel.

Sorry if what I said was a bit confusing lol the open house is mid-Feb. But the deadline for RSVP is Jan 29th. 

1 hour ago, etiennelantier said:

I got my first rejection from Rice. It was my only safe application. Congratulations to those who are accepted!

Idk if there is any such thing as a safe application but I have friends who have been admitted into their dream schools and denied/wait listed by their “safety school”.  Stay positive!

Edited by WWCand

1 hour ago, etiennelantier said:

I got my first rejection from Rice. It was my only safe application. Congratulations to those who are accepted!

Very sorry to hear that. It's the wackiness of PhD applications. There really aren't safe applications. They select based on fit and yield protect. So you can never be fully confident you're getting in. Such a "fun" process lol.

3 minutes ago, LeoPS said:

I received the same here! (UCSD - CP) Fingers crossed for us! 

Did you get a letter or just a change of status? Mine shows no checklist, so the decision is imminent, but no letters :(

2 minutes ago, abrdff12 said:

Did you get a letter or just a change of status? Mine shows no checklist, so the decision is imminent, but no letters :(

Mine also shows no checklist now. What does there not being a checklist mean? 

4 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

same situation. at this stage, i expect they will put final decisions soon (expecting a reject)

7 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

It is a well known bug in their system. When they set a decision to be sent out later, the checklist disappears. Could be either decision as I have heard 

8 minutes ago, abrdff12 said:

5 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

I received an email saying I'm on the waiting list, and there are no changes on the portal. I have no idea what the absence of a checklist means, but mine is still there (?). 

2 minutes ago, abrdff12 said:

It is a well known bug in their system. When they set a decision to be sent out later, the checklist disappears. Could be either decision as I have heard 

Do you mean either a waitlist or rejection?

3 minutes ago, LeoPS said:

I received an email saying I'm on the waiting list, and there are no changes on the portal. I have no idea what the absence of a checklist means, but mine is still there (?). 

yea exact same thing for me (email indicating waitlist + just checked, checklist is still there). 

Edited by Ytc1212

I want to ask something to the void, and I hope a Professor is reading this and can answer my question (very generically, if you wish to).

Since many departments are making the GRE optional for applicants, I understand how admissions works when the GRE isn't accepted - everyone is evaluated on the same set of materials. But I'm unclear about how admissions committees weigh applicants when some submit GRE scores and others don't. I might be wrong, but if two candidates are otherwise equal, the GRE score gives someone an advantage (?). I get the """holistic""" approach and etc. but still.

Edited by RegimeObserver
didn't finished my idea

21 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I want to ask something to the void, and I hope a Professor is reading this and can answer my question (very generically, if you wish to).

Since many departments are making the GRE optional for applicants, I understand how admissions works when the GRE isn't accepted - everyone is evaluated on the same set of materials. But I'm unclear about how admissions committees weigh applicants when some submit GRE scores and others don't. I might be wrong, but if two candidates are otherwise equal, the GRE score gives someone an advantage (?). I get the """holistic""" approach and etc. but still.

I'm not a faculty member, but a lot of the programs I applied to that didn't require GRE specifically said that it was in your best interest to submit a score but only if it was a good, competitive score. They advised if you had a good score, you use it. But if you had a bad score, don't use it. Most of the programs I applied to were pretty up front about them taking GRE scores more into consideration, especially when evaluating your ability to do quantitative data analysis.

You might want to try posting this on the grad admissions reddit thread. There is a professor from the social sciences on there who answers questions like this all the time. 

48 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

At least for my subfield, the GRE does not matter, especially now with the turn away from standardized testing (I was told by a PLSI prof. who attended Cornell). From every (very successful) professor I've talked to, the most important thing is how your research interests align with your POI and your academic statement of purpose BY FAR. 

1 minute ago, politicalscience33 said:

At least for my subfield, the GRE does not matter, especially now with the turn away from standardized testing (I was told by a PLSI prof. who attended Cornell). From every (very successful) professor I've talked to, the most important thing is how your research interests align with your POI and your academic statement of purpose BY FAR. 

This is my understanding, too; that's why I was amazed to see Michigan almost banning it (lmao) all the way from the GSAS and not letting the individual Departments choose. Still, I'm curious about how the specific admission process works when it's optional (but the fit being the single most prevalent factor makes sense). 

I didn’t take the GRE (which I’m guessing didn’t help with Rice) and I mainly only applied to schools that either aren’t accepting it (eg Wisconsin) or implied that it wasn’t that important 

So many programmes - even in the sciences - don’t even require it any more!

Whether this means it can’t give a candidate an edge if things are otherwise equal idk 

Edited by fizzan
Accidentally sent old message again??