2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, club_mate said:

Kinda late to the game, but claiming the early UCSD acceptance. Did anybody else's UCSD offer include details on funding? because mine didnt and I wondered whether anybody knows whether funding information will come through later?

Thanks everybody :) Just wanted to post a quick update that 10 mins after i posted this, UCSD came back with a funding offer (34k, 50% TA position for 9 months for all 5 years +4k one time research fund +6k first year summer stipend)...
Good luck as the waiting game continues

No it does not necessarily bode unwell for your prospects since interviews in polisci typically are reserved for candidates the committee is on the fence with. Usually they're used to double check that the student is fit for a PhD program whether it be academically or personally. To understand what I mean by "personally" take it from an (alleged) admissions counselor from reddit on r/gradadmissions u/pcwg: 

"Racist comments, sexist comments, drunk, dismissive, wearing shorts, at the beach, thought we were a different school, creepy, one dude hit on a grad student in an interview (forgot about that one). Stuff like that.

There are also the not disasters but people who project insecurity and apprehension. That isn't a dig at those feelings, but a comment on how hard a PhD is and how those perceptions will give us a lot of pause about bringing you in."

Other than the absurd cases the committees know what to look for in our applications and will admit/reject based entirely on that. They didn't interview you because they're confident in their ability to read who you are as a person and would be in a PhD program whether that be favorable or unfavorable. 

Also check out this tool: https://www.martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/ self reported so take it with a large grain of salt but yknow

2 hours ago, fizzan said:

Congrats guys! 

An update on Illinois - I emailed last week (don't ask me why I felt brave enough haha) and they just replied saying they expect to have 'all remaining decisions' out by the end of the week. 

That suggests to me that some acceptances have already been sent out, though hopefully not all (for my sake)

I'm crossing my fingers super hard because the San Diego rejection was super demoralizing since I thought I was a perfect fit, and my POI confirmed that when I emailed him last year. So, yeah, I'm hoping for an acceptance from Illinois.

(Also, I'm quite worried about Vanderbilt interviews because I feel like I'm in the same position as with UCSD... an excellent fit, a blessing from my POI, and not interview🙁).

5 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I'm crossing my fingers super hard because the San Diego rejection was super demoralizing since I thought I was a perfect fit, and my POI confirmed that when I emailed him last year. So, yeah, I'm hoping for an acceptance from Illinois.

(Also, I'm quite worried about Vanderbilt interviews because I feel like I'm in the same position as with UCSD... an excellent fit, a blessing from my POI, and not interview🙁).

did you receive a rejection letter from UCSD? Or is it presumed rejection? Cause I also applied and have gotten nothing so far... (checked portal, still shows up as a checklist)

1 minute ago, Ytc1212 said:

did you receive a rejection letter from UCSD? Or is it presumed rejection? Cause I also applied and have gotten nothing so far... (checked portal, still shows up as a checklist)

I received an email to check the portal; then, in the application portal, there it was... the most generic, almost AI-generated letter telling me I wasn't accepted.

1 hour ago, Greg_app said:

Two questions: 1) If I did not get an interview with Duke, does that not bode well for my prospects? 2) When do we think Duke will release its results based on past years?

This is torture lol. 

I have the same question with Vanderbilt. So here is my theory:

- Some are accepted without an interview.
- Others are almost accepted; the interview is the last filter to confirm 100%.
- Most interviewees get accepted, and a minority get rejected.
- Then there are the waitlisted.
- And finally, the rejections without interviews.

1 hour ago, club_mate said:

Thanks everybody :) Just wanted to post a quick update that 10 mins after i posted this, UCSD came back with a funding offer (34k, 50% TA position for 9 months for all 5 years +4k one time research fund +6k first year summer stipend)...
Good luck as the waiting game continues

Me too! I think it's a pretty sizable step up in compensation from what those who entered last year were offered. I've heard to make those increases, they've had to pretty dramatically cut the number of available graduate positions, but we'll see if that's true. 

11 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I have the same question with Vanderbilt. So here is my theory:

- Some are accepted without an interview.
- Others are almost accepted; the interview is the last filter to confirm 100%.
- Most interviewees get accepted, and a minority get rejected.
- Then there are the waitlisted.
- And finally, the rejections without interviews.

There are people (especially in CP and IR sub fields) who have reported getting admitted to Vanderbilt in past years without an interview. 

the interviews reported for this cycle for Vanderbilt are very sparse so far. A lot fewer interviews reported than in past years. Only 3 reported total (I am 1 of them, American subfield).  

48 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

It definitely SUCKS when fit program didn't admit but it's still early in this cycle. Hope you will hear some good news soon!🤞 

4 hours ago, fizzan said:

Congrats guys! 

An update on Illinois - I emailed last week (don't ask me why I felt brave enough haha) and they just replied saying they expect to have 'all remaining decisions' out by the end of the week. 

That suggests to me that some acceptances have already been sent out, though hopefully not all (for my sake)

There have been no other postings tho! I'm also hoping they haven't seen any out bc I haven't heard anything from them 

1 minute ago, polisci119 said:

Congrats guys!

Do UNC and UIUC necessarily have interviews? Have not heard anything from them yet. :(

0a/0r/0w/7p

No, these universities haven't interviewed in previous years. And according to previous years' data, UIUC accepts and rejects in batches around these days of the year, and UNC releases its decisions the second week of February.