2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

On 1/12/2024 at 1:24 PM, lezz said:

Congratulations!!! May I ask what subfield it is?

Does anyone know if Duke always interviews its admits? Or are there candidates who are admitted without an interview? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ytc1212 said:

The email is from a professor on the committee (did not mention him on my SOP) 

4 hours ago, fizzan said:

Mine came from a person on the adcom, but they're also someone I mentioned in my SOP! Sorry, not that helpful 

Thanks, folks! And good luck!

49 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Does anyone know if Duke always interviews its admits? Or are there candidates who are admitted without an interview? Thanks!

Duke interviews some shortlisted candidates. Not being interviewed doesn’t mean you are not one of the shortlisted candidates. So we just don’t know until we get the offer/rej/wl from the school lol. 

37 minutes ago, lezz said:

Duke interviews some shortlisted candidates. Not being interviewed doesn’t mean you are not one of the shortlisted candidates. So we just don’t know until we get the offer/rej/wl from the school lol. 

Thank you! That's very helpful. 

1 hour ago, m82a said:

What programs do you think we might hear from?

Sounds like Illinois have historically released around this time, maybe also Rice?

Edited by fizzan
northwestern data was old

6 hours ago, fizzan said:

Sounds like Illinois have historically released around this time, maybe also Rice?

I'm hoping Illinois comes out soon. I saw someone said they got accepted a few weeks ago but haven't heard from literally anyone else so maybe it was a troll 

12 minutes ago, ugh08 said:

I'm hoping Illinois comes out soon. I saw someone said they got accepted a few weeks ago but haven't heard from literally anyone else so maybe it was a troll 

yeah looks like they've all come out together in previous years so seems like it!

1 minute ago, fizzan said:

yea

yeah just saw the vandy interview, I didn't think they'd be so early!

I'm losing my mind over this. Assuming these are not trolls, everything seems to go quickly and early in this cycle.

14 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I'm losing my mind over this. Assuming these are not trolls, everything seems to go quickly and early in this cycle.

I would be cautious unless people claim here although it's around the time that UT sends out results

Anyone else feeling like UT Austin put a ton of people on the waitlist this year? Only saw one admission on the results page. Any thoughts on why that's happening?

12 minutes ago, Cammie said:

Anyone else feeling like UT Austin put a ton of people on the waitlist this year? Only saw one admission on the results page. Any thoughts on why that's happening?

Departments always overadmit; they have a target for the incoming cohort (sometimes cappe by the university), but they know not everybody will accept. It may happen that their yield is too high and so they end up with a bigger cohort than they wanted. One way to avoid this is to have a longer waitlist and only pluck people out of it when they have a better idea whether the already-admitted people will accept or not. Don't know if that is the case, but could be one explanation. If all waitlisted people are from the same subfield, it may be related to faculty (either leaving, arriving, going on leave, etc)

5 hours ago, RegimeObserver said:

I don't feel like it is that different. Last year Emory jumped the gun on everybody, this year was WashU. Notre Dame was earlier last year, but we haven't got anything outta there yet. But there always seems to be some department who jumps ahead for whatever reason. The Vanderbilt interview is super early compared to last year, but last year the deadline for application was Jan 15th, whereas it was moved to December 15th this year. So they seem to be following a similar flow, but with a different date because of the deadline.

44 minutes ago, Cammie said:

Has anybody been outright accepted or rejected? Still haven't gotten anything on portal or email.