2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

6 minutes ago, fizzan said:

My first time applying, now to do allll the digging I can about what it might be like lmao!

I don't have any tips for you, but in the subreddit r/gradadmissions, you can find tons of information about how to perform well in the interviews.

31 minutes ago, Ytc1212 said:

Did anyone that applied as IR get interview invitations from Wisconsin Madison? Wondering if they’re just sending interviews for AP….. 

Have the same question....

folks being interviewed at UW-M: a) congrats! b) are you being contacted by adcom people or is it specific faculty you mentioned in your SoP? 

I am literally asking for a friend lol. 

Some public utility: back when I applied I was checking this resource: https://www.martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/. It is outdated (last year available is pre-pandemic), but with this link + some scrolling of the results page you can have a decent idea of when to expect results. Bear in mind that these dates will vary from year to year, and sometimes it depends on decisions that are not at the hand of individual departments or adcoms (budget restrictions from colleges, etc), and there is also some calendar-related noise (holidays, snow days, wheter the 1st of January is a Wednesday or a Sunday, etc).

Also, don't waste your time and mental health updating portals. You may find out that you have been rejected, but it is *very* unlikely that you will be admitted and find out on the portal before receiving word from the department. 

Good luck!

16 hours ago, anonymousvulture said:

folks being interviewed at UW-M: a) congrats! b) are you being contacted by adcom people or is it specific faculty you mentioned in your SoP? 

Some public utility: back when I applied I was checking this resource: https://www.martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/. It is outdated (last year available is pre-pandemic), but with this link + some scrolling of the results page you can have a decent idea of when to expect results. Bear in mind that these dates will vary from year to year, and sometimes it depends on decisions that are not at the hand of individual departments or adcoms (budget restrictions from colleges, etc), and there is also some calendar-related noise (holidays, snow days, wheter the 1st of January is a Wednesday or a Sunday, etc).

Also, don't waste your time and mental health updating portals. You may find out that you have been rejected, but it is *very* unlikely that you will be admitted and find out on the portal before receiving word from the department. 

Good luck!

Mine came from a person on the adcom, but they're also someone I mentioned in my SOP! Sorry, not that helpful 

18 hours ago, anonymousvulture said:

Good luck!

The email is from a professor on the committee (did not mention him on my SOP)