2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

54 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

Do you mind disclosing which Universities you applied to and your subfield?

It's okay if you don't want to, I understand.

Im applying as IR (with an interest in political psychology) and Im applying to around 15 programs (Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Umich, OSU, UW-M, UNC, etc....) 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:55 PM, RegimeObserver said:

Hi everyone.

This is my second time applying. I'm anxious, but at the same time, I have high spirits that everything will go fine for us.

From my previous experience, I recommend all of us try to make an effort to accept and decline the offers as soon as possible to help each other with the waitlisting. I know this is premature since most universities haven't even reached their deadline; however, I don't want this message to get lost in the immensity in January. ;)

Good luck!

Hey all. I'm a faculty member at a lower-tier R1, and just wanted to comment on this because I see it repeatedly coming up on each year's admission thread. Please don't put pressure on people to decline offers they will not accept on the assumption that a waitlisted student will then get an offer. The vast majority of programs admit MORE students than they hope will enroll, so there is not a 1:1 decline --> waitlisted offer process. Once the decision deadline has passed, we (at both programs I have worked in) review who has committed and whether or not we have any funding left. Only then do we determine if we can make a waitlist offer. If for some flukey reason 90% of our initial offers decline within the first few weeks, sure, we'll turn to the waitlist with a few offers. But otherwise, the timing of declining doesn't matter, because we over admit. We know that not everyone admitted will attend, and so we wait until after acceptance deadlines to turn to the waitlist. 

15 minutes ago, conflict_resolutioner said:

Hey folks, wish you all luck in the coming months.

I am in IR and have applied to 13 schools this cycle.

Had a virtual interview with Brown last week. I think it went well, but I wouldn't read too much into it until I get some actual news.

congrats! hope good news will come soon.

surprised to know that Brown held their interviews so early given the deadline is Dec 18. 

6 hours ago, Camiki said:

I got a virtual interview request from Duke, but nowhere else. That being said, I don't think many of the programs I applied to actually interview. 

Congratulations! What's your subfield at Duke?

I also got an interview from Duke last week. 

Applied to Brown too but heard nothing so far….. I wonder if the interview timeline is based on specific faculty members? Hope it doesn’t mean that I’m already up for rejection for brown lmao 

34 minutes ago, Ytc1212 said:

Applied to Brown too but heard nothing so far….. I wonder if the interview timeline is based on specific faculty members? Hope it doesn’t mean that I’m already up for rejection for brown lmao 

i would suggest wait till late Jan to assume rejections. it may depends on subfields/ poi preference to schedule interview. Duke DGS said not all shortlisted applicants will be interviewed (tho it's a common practice of the dept). 

When do you guys expect to hear back from other schools you applied to? I know HYP typically dont send acceptances til pretty late right? like late march? 

8 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

When do you guys expect to hear back from other schools you applied to? I know HYP typically dont send acceptances til pretty late right? like late march? 

From the schools I applied to in February, the first two weeks.

53 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

I think I'll start hearing back from more schools in late January and will probably get most decisions by mid-Feb 

6 hours ago, cbsag123 said:

I'm anticipating early-to-mid February, if I get accepted. I don't believe that's correct on HYP. But I could be wrong.

Edited by jce8491

On 1/10/2024 at 8:21 PM, jce8491 said:

I'm anticipating early-to-mid February, if I get accepted. I don't believe that's correct on HYP. But I could be wrong.

I think you're correct. From last year's posts, they pretty sent out in early to mid February. Here is a post from 22-23 thread https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/139834-2022-2023-application-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1058906417 

Oh my, WashU is already announcing?

What I see now, is that all accepted claims are AP and Methodologies. I myself also applied for WashU as IR, can I still think I have a shot for WashU or just give up?

I am also get frustrated since schools are already announcing or offering an interviews.

17 hours ago, Polisci24 said:

congrats! hope good news will come soon.

surprised to know that Brown held their interviews so early given the deadline is Dec 18. 

Thank you so much. Yes, I was surprised too. I submitted my application on 15 Dec, and it took them only two weeks to send out interview invitations.

11 hours ago, Ytc1212 said:

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Interview invitation itself does not provide any good information. There are too many reasons that a school does or does not interview a candidate. It could be that they have doubts regarding an applicant, so they want to meet him/her (I know this is especially true for international students (e.g. Chinese) whose English proficiency might be a concern). Or it could be that they are genuinely interested in a certain candidate and trying to decide to pull the trigger or not. Sometimes, a department chooses not to interview someone because the application materials are sufficient for it to know he/she is the right person. So, I wouldn't read too much into it, as I said.

To answer your question, I was interviewed by the designated IR faculty in the admission committee of this year rotation (whom I did not mention in the SOP).

6 minutes ago, conflict_resolutioner said:

Thank you so much. Yes, I was surprised too. I submitted my application on 15 Dec, and it took them only two weeks to send out interview invitations.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Interview invitation itself does not provide any good information. There are too many reasons that a school does or does not interview a candidate. It could be that they have doubts regarding an applicant, so they want to meet him/her (I know this is especially true for international students (e.g. Chinese) whose English proficiency might be a concern). Or it could be that they are genuinely interested in a certain candidate and trying to decide to pull the trigger or not. Sometimes, a department chooses not to interview someone because the application materials are sufficient for it to know he/she is the right person. So, I wouldn't read too much into it, as I said.

To answer your question, I was interviewed by the designated IR faculty in the admission committee of this year rotation (whom I did not mention in the SOP).

Oh I see. Since this is my second application, I am quite desperate. Moreover, I did not mention any faculties in SOP in purpose. Some schools, which directly insist to name faculties, I did, but others, I did not. I hope we all get good results. 

I wonder did WashU announced their all candidates, or just AP/MDs. 

13 hours ago, SH95 said:

Oh I see. Since this is my second application, I am quite desperate. Moreover, I did not mention any faculties in SOP in purpose. Some schools, which directly insist to name faculties, I did, but others, I did not. I hope we all get good results. 

I wonder did WashU announced their all candidates, or just AP/MDs. 

Based on the results last year, I think WashU sends out acceptances in batches (saw acceptance results across multiple dates). Not exactly sure how the process works but Im pretty sure the offers so far aren't just for AP/MDs cause Im IR. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:34 PM, Polisci24 said:

I think you're correct. From last year's posts, they pretty sent out in early to mid February. Here is a post from 22-23 thread https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/139834-2022-2023-application-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1058906417 

Thanks! Looking at the results on the tracker on here from last year, it shows results from Yale on February 10, it shows results from Princeton on February 6 and 7, and it shows results from Harvard in late February and early March, for what that's worth.