2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

7 hours ago, Ytc1212 said:

got an email from DGS of OSU tonight (weird timing...?) confirming acceptance that I saw on the portal on thurs. But there is no info about funding.... is anyone in the same situation?

There have been absolutely no other updates about OSU on here other than yours 

Edit: also, OSU funding isn't decided by the department so funding offers don't come until later. The Grad School decides funding. 

Edited by ugh08

As a second-time applicant I just want to point out that this year’s mood seems unnecessarily intense. Remember: your result is going to be released on your end. No one here can change that. Other people telling you (free of charge) their accept/rej is a potentially informative message for you that you may or may not benefit from. If you don’t believe it, you could always walk away. 
On a more general note, this should be a friendly community; it is the way it is because we don’t ask too much from other people and show true appreciation when they offer advice/support. 
It’s not a place to dump your anxiety on others by throwing very personal comments or pushing potential audience to forfeit their offer before its due.  

Edited by Anonymous8_8

16 minutes ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

As a second-time applicant I just want to point out that this year’s mood seems unnecessarily intense. Remember: your result is going to be released on your end. No one here can change that. Other people telling you (free of charge) their accept/rej is a potentially informative message for you that you may or may not benefit from. If you don’t believe it, you could always walk away. 
On a more general note, this should be a friendly community; it is the way it is because we don’t ask too much from other people and show true appreciation when they offer advice/support. 
It’s not a place to dump your anxiety on others by throwing very personal comments or pushing potential audience to forfeit their offer before its due.  

I agree. I was reading the thread from last year and it had a lot better vibes than this one. Communicating online can be tricky. It is easier to hide behind a screen and be rude, but it is also easier to misread tone and intention when reading messages. Let's all just try to have patience with each other and not subject others to our personal stresses and anxieties. We are all going through a similar situation. 

33 minutes ago, odonnellista said:

Claiming Notre Dame interview for next week. Apparently they are following a different process than last year.

I'm glad they're following a different process. The way they did it last year seemed way too dramatic 😂

55 minutes ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

agreed, thank you for saying that! 

hoping everyone hears some good news this week!

3 hours ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

I agree 100%; there are a lot of condescending, patronizing, and petty vibes this year. 

Oh, and by the way, please don't let me, the most powerful voice in academia, threaten you and tell you what to do.

Guys, I'm out of this forum for good. It's absolutely mindblowing that you are seriously discussing what I said, in good faith, as a general recommendation three days ago.

I wish you all the best, for real, and from the bottom of my heart, I hope you understand the dimensions of the journey you are about to start.

The best to all.

Edited by RegimeObserver
goodbye

7 hours ago, ugh08 said:

There have been absolutely no other updates about OSU on here other than yours 

Edit: also, OSU funding isn't decided by the department so funding offers don't come until later. The Grad School decides funding. 

Ohh I see. Thanks for the info about funding!

9 minutes ago, Ytc1212 said:

Ohh I see. Thanks for the info about funding!

No problem! There was a lot of people who talked about Ohio State's funding being weird in last year's forum on here. So you might get more info if you look there!

2 hours ago, RegimeObserver said:

I agree 100%; there are a lot of condescending, patronizing, and petty vibes this year. 

Oh, and by the way, please don't let me, the most powerful voice in academia, threaten you and tell you what to do.

Guys, I'm out of this forum for good. It's absolutely mindblowing that you are seriously discussing what I said, in good faith, as a general recommendation three days ago.

I wish you all the best, for real, and from the bottom of my heart, I hope you understand the dimensions of the journey you are about to start.

The best to all.

i think thats a lot of emotion for safe

2 hours ago, Cammie said:

Hope we can hear from Duke this week.

Same here. I thought we might hear it back during the late Jan, but obviously Duke was still doing interviews several days ago (at least from this thread). Fingers crossed!

Just for the reference. From last year's posts, all Princeton posts in late Jan turned out  to be trolls, they sent out acceptances and rejections at the same day (February 6th). It might be true Princeton sent out acceptances earlier this year ... I personally will be cautious until people claim here. 

EDIT: Feb 6 for acceptance, Feb 7 for rejection (23fall); Feb 7 acceptance, Feb 8 rejection (22fall)

Edited by Polisci24
update info

5 hours ago, politicalscience33 said:

Hi all -- random question!

Do graduate programs typically provide a laptop/electronics? My laptop is slowwww and old, and I do not want to buy a new one if graduate programs typically provide it. Thanks! :D 

Hi! I have never heard that they did. You may however be able to negotiate something when you have some offers in hand (it can't hurt to try).

10 hours ago, Polisci24 said:

Just for the reference. From last year's posts, all Princeton posts in late Jan turned out  to be trolls, they sent out acceptances and rejections at the same day (February 6th). It might be true Princeton sent out acceptances earlier this year ... I personally will be cautious until people claim here. 

EDIT: Feb 6 for acceptance, Feb 7 for rejection (23fall); Feb 7 acceptance, Feb 8 rejection (22fall)

Does anyone know if there is a similar timeline for Princeton SPIA's Ph.D. in Public Affairs?

Edited by Eagle Unicorn

15 minutes ago, Eagle Unicorn said:

Does anyone know if there is a similar timeline for Princeton SPIA's Ph.D. in Public Affairs?

Did you try the results page? Should show you if you put it into the advanced search