2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

6 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Do we think that all of the Duke admissions have already come out? There are only two admissions posted so far, both on February 1, and I think there's usually more, right? 

The professor that interviewed me sent me an email saying that I am not offered admissions because of fit reasons (which I agree, my fit was not great). 

But since it was a very personalized rejection email, I think maybe the timeline depends on individual professors who interviewed you / was interested in your file

Just now, Ytc1212 said:

The professor that interviewed me sent me an email saying that I am not offered admissions because of fit reasons (which I agree, my fit was not great). 

But since it was a very personalized rejection email, I think maybe the timeline depends on individual professors who interviewed you / was interested in your file

I think Ytc is right. I haven't gotten a standard email from the department yet, just from the professors who interviewed me and a standard next steps email from the graduate school. which makes me think that they are still working through the process. Hopefully, they are!

as offers are starting to come in for some of us, what universities do you think offer the most generous stipends? what would be a minimum for you to attend a school, and what do you think is the most one can negotiate?

also, how is the stipend taxed (& do the same rules apply for international students?) anyone know any good resources?

I find stipends hard to compare to eachother directly - eg a stipend that would be good/generous in Madison WI would be impossible to live on in Boston. I’ve been looking at sites that compare cost of living to get a general idea of how workable they are as well as looking at housing etc! 

6 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

as offers are starting to come in for some of us, what universities do you think offer the most generous stipends? what would be a minimum for you to attend a school, and what do you think is the most one can negotiate?

also, how is the stipend taxed (& do the same rules apply for international students?) anyone know any good resources?

Disclaimer: "this is not tax orientation at all" 😅

International students are taxed differently at a higher rate; at least until you are in the "resident for tax purposes" category (you can find the test that allows you to identify this). 

And yes, it is also so different to compare stipends based on costs of living. I believe housing is one of the key components; in my case I studied at UChicago in Chicago's south side, and the cost of living there is way different from say New York or San Francisco. 

8 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Just received an email from UCLA to submit my official transcripts. Does this mean anything or did this go to all applicants? 

I got one too but didn't think it meant I was admitted. Did anybody apply to UCLA and not get this email?

Edited by Camiki

Claiming Chicago! CP. Did not submit GRE.

I am so incredibly happy, since this was my top 3 choice! Especially after getting rejected at Brown and probably at Princeton, NYU and Berkeley!

E-maii from department was in spam, funding included.

Edited by SJPY

7 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Congratulations!!!!! When and how did you receive your offer? 

about 15 mins ago in an informal email from the director of grad studies. no update on portal yet

Hello folks! Congrats on all the acceptances! I have a question about declining an offer. I have received personal congrats from a POI (to which I replied) and a generic, long email from DGS (to which I didn't reply). Now that I want to decline the offer, besides doing so in the application system, should I email the POI (or the DGS) and say sth? Not sure what to say...

Has anyone received an invitation letter from JHU SAIS for the "Dean's Tatser Lecture" on February 8th? Can I assume that this means that I got accepted or I will be interviewed? Maybe everyone who applied for the program received this email?

1 hour ago, Boba817 said:

Hello folks! Congrats on all the acceptances! I have a question about declining an offer. I have received personal congrats from a POI (to which I replied) and a generic, long email from DGS (to which I didn't reply). Now that I want to decline the offer, besides doing so in the application system, should I email the POI (or the DGS) and say sth? Not sure what to say...

Both. The POI because that’s quite possibly a professional relationship that’ll matter in the future – a nontrivial amount of mentorship in the discipline, let alone opportunities to collaborate, involves faculty outside of one’s PhD-granting institution. The DGS because it’s possible (although not likely, IME) that the DGS will want it directly before they clear the space.

5 minutes ago, dnexon1 said:

Both. The POI because that’s quite possibly a professional relationship that’ll matter in the future – a nontrivial amount of mentorship in the discipline, let alone opportunities to collaborate, involves faculty outside of one’s PhD-granting institution. The DGS because it’s possible (although not likely, IME) that the DGS will want it directly before they clear the space.

Got it. Thank you so much for your kind suggestions!