2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

UVA PhD rejected but accepted into their masters program. Received a really long email from their director of admissions about what the masters program look like.

Quite surprised that they take 10-15 PhD students and at the same time only 2-4 MA students a year.

Sounds like a good program, still 10 schools to go!

A: 0.5 (lol) W:0, P: 10, R: 8

7 hours ago, miss-walker said:

Congrats!! 

Question, when did you receive a rejection from Duke?

Thank you! I received a rejection by the end of January. But... Im not sure if thats a good indicator for anyone else because it is a personalized email from the prof that interviewed me, telling me that its because of fit.  From my personal experience and what Ive seen in these forums, I think Duke's admission process and timeline is highly based on the individual profs that are interested in your file. 

6 hours ago, llmoula said:

Claiming Columbia acceptance in theory. Did anyone who heard back from them get anything about a campus visit in the acceptance letter?

Got info about funding but no info about open house / student visit

7 hours ago, sunsartu said:

UVA PhD rejected but accepted into their masters program. Received a really long email from their director of admissions about what the masters program look like.

Quite surprised that they take 10-15 PhD students and at the same time only 2-4 MA students a year.

Sounds like a good program, still 10 schools to go!

A: 0.5 (lol) W:0, P: 10, R: 8

I would gently caution against doing a terminal MA program. You mentioned that you still have 10 applications remaining, so hopefully you’ll receive an PhD offer! In any case, terminal MA’s tend to not be funded, so you’d likely be paying a lot of money (for tuition, housing, etc) to attend a Master’s program. And in a PhD program, you’ll likely be awarded an MA degree along the way anyways. So, if you get a PhD offer, definitely take it. I just wanted to let you know of these downsides of terminal MA programs. 

17 hours ago, llmoula said:

Claiming Columbia acceptance in theory. Did anyone who heard back from them get anything about a campus visit in the acceptance letter?

Also claiming Columbia acceptance. IR subfield. No information about campus visit, but hope that they provide details soon, as I am traveling internationally.

Also happy lunar new year everyone. Wish you all a prosperous, joyful and healthy Year of the Dragon!

Edited by conflict_resolutioner
New Year greetings!

13 hours ago, Bluebearphd said:

Hi! anyone heard from Stony Brook? I could see only one acceptance. I am international applicant,, Please let us know if you heard any results from the Stony Brook ! :)

Hi international student here. I am on the waitlist.

Hope this help

Edited by Sen01

Does anyone have any info on when the following schools may release decisions? These are my remaining decisions. I’m American Politics: UC Berkeley, UNC, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Michigan State, University of Pittsburgh, Georgetown

3 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

Does anyone have any info on when the following schools may release decisions? These are my remaining decisions. I’m American Politics: UC Berkeley, UNC, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Michigan State, University of Pittsburgh, Georgetown

I've applied to Cornell and JHU. Expecting them both to come out at the end of next week or the next Monday based off previous years. I've seen some interviews posted for Hopkins but they haven't really interviewed in the past so I'm guessing its just POIs reaching out personally. I'm also in Theory not AP subfield so ymmv.

Good luck with your applications!

5 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

I saw one post about a Michigan State acceptance last week, around the 5th. They didn't mention subfield. I applied there for IR and also haven't heard anything.

6 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

...and Berkeley is a bit weird this year. They already released some acceptances (I think I saw 3 here?) almost two weeks ago, but haven't sent out any rejections yet. Usually, there were way more acceptances and rejections came right after, so they might come out with more soon or just have a really small cohort this year.

UNC normally sends out acceptances and rejections this week but they sent out what I think was a batch of acceptances at the end of Jan…I’m CP

3 hours ago, miss-walker said:

UNC normally sends out acceptances and rejections this week but they sent out what I think was a batch of acceptances at the end of Jan…I’m CP

Hopefully some more acceptances this week! If not, it seems very few people were admitted 

30 minutes ago, WWCand said:

Claiming Northwestern! I was so stressed and felt like a rejection was coming. 

4A, 4R, 0W, 7P

oh congrats!!! northwestern did release acceptances in batches - talking about some real surprise this cycle.

If someone has not received any admission offer or waitlist decision from NYU, can assume rejection - right? From the last couple of years- it looks like they don't release the rejections until late in March.

2 hours ago, SodiumLight said:

If someone has not received any admission offer or waitlist decision from NYU, can assume rejection - right? From the last couple of years- it looks like they don't release the rejections until late in March.

Yeah the rej is delayed because they would select some of the rejs and send out an offer for a partially funded terminal MA program

Hi everyone,

I received an open house invitation from the department, and they mentioned that they are still in the process of finalizing admissions. They also stated that they would send out admissions before the open house day. Does this indicate that I have a good chance of being accepted into the program?

On 2/6/2024 at 4:14 AM, Greg_app said:

Just received an email from UCLA to submit my official transcripts. Does this mean anything or did this go to all applicants? 

I received a mail asking me to submit pdf of my official transcripts for a potential admit. Received open house invite from the department too but I can't say for sure if this means anything with regards to my admission.

2 hours ago, Garnacho said:

Does anyone know approximately when Harvard and Yale release admission results?

Harvard usually sends out acceptances on the 22nd/23rd of February, so mid next week.

Yale is different every year, but according to last year (which was on the 10th), they should send out acceptances very soon, maybe even today...

On 2/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, zfpolisci said:

Has anyone received an invitation letter from JHU SAIS for the "Dean's Tatser Lecture" on February 8th? Can I assume that this means that I got accepted or I will be interviewed? Maybe everyone who applied for the program received this email?

Hi I got the same email as well and was wondering the same thing lol, and what program did u apply for in Penn state?