2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

42 minutes ago, dgeuak said:

I really hoped that Brown would have released the results today. It's been 3 weeks since I had my interview and I can't wait anymore...

Oh wow that is a long time! I'm sorry that has happened to you, I'm sure you'll hear back soon though!

Hello all, I'm a Political Theory subfield applicant (I feel one of very few). I have been in contact with a POI from U Chicago, and they said I am (more than likely, but cannot trust it) good. That's been about it as far as applications coming out have been. Here is some stuff about me if you are curious:

I applied to 9 PhD schools: Yale, Brown, UChicago, UW Seattle (but I will decline if accepted), UPenn, JHU, Cornell, Northwestern, and Princeton. 

I'm an undergraduate student (3.9 GPA) with a triple major and two theses (one honors), and my writing sample was a fellowship work from the summer prior (concise, only about 13 pages). However, my interests are incredibly niche, and I only applied to schools that had very good academic personnel fits.

My GRE was HORRIBLE. I didn't study because I loathe standardized testing. I got a perfect score on the writing, and about 45-50 percentile on the reading and math sections. 

However, in general, remember this process is very arbitrary and unpredictable! If you are in political theory and want to connect, let me know! 

Edited by politicalscience33
fixing error in what I said for clarity

56 minutes ago, politicalscience33 said:

Hello all, I'm a Political Theory subfield applicant (I feel one of very few). I have been in contact with a POI from U Chicago, and they said I am (more than likely, but cannot trust it) good. That's been about it as far as applications coming out have been. Here is some stuff about me if you are curious:

I applied to 9 PhD schools: Yale, Brown, UChicago, UW Seattle (but I will decline if accepted), UPenn, JHU, Cornell, Northwestern, and Princeton. 

I'm an undergraduate student (3.9 GPA) with a triple major and two theses (one honors), and my writing sample was a fellowship work from the summer prior (concise, only about 13 pages). However, my interests are incredibly niche, and I only applied to schools that had very good academic personnel fits. I also fluently read German. I do not know ANYONE else in the US applying to political theory, and Grad Cafe PLSI barely has any information on political theory. It's not been easy trying to see how the application process goes or even getting to know people in the same field!

I have two works pending publication that have been accepted, two large conferences from independent work, interned at an international think-tank (helped edit publications there and published an article myself), along with general honors from my university and other societies. I was a research assistant for a comparative politics research team (data collection, on CV as book contribution) and have participated in two undergrad fellowships. I've received two independent grants for funding my research. Also, I worked a lot of random jobs in PLSI-adjacent fields (campaigns, voting equality), and I have teaching experience. 

My GRE was HORRIBLE. I didn't study because I loathe standardized testing. I got a perfect score on the writing, and about 45-50 percentile on the reading and math sections. 

However, in general, remember this process is very arbitrary and unpredictable! If you are in political theory and want to connect, let me know! 

My subfield is Comparative, but thank you a lot for this. Sometimes, it is important to remind ourselves of this.

3 hours ago, Maverickz said:

Is there anyone here that did interview with Notre Dame ??

I don't think Notre Dame has sent anything out yet. According to this site, last year they sent out interviews early and then emailed everyone saying if they didn't get an interview by this date then they weren't moving on to the next stage of admissions. It was all very dramatic. So I'm assuming that if they had done anything, we'd know

1 hour ago, ugh08 said:

I don't think Notre Dame has sent anything out yet. According to this site, last year they sent out interviews early and then emailed everyone saying if they didn't get an interview by this date then they weren't moving on to the next stage of admissions. It was all very dramatic. So I'm assuming that if they had done anything, we'd know

I got mail on 16th of January from one of the professors I referenced in my SOP for a brief interview. I just want to know if anybody had same experience,  though I'm an international applicant.

5 minutes ago, Maverickz said:

I got mail on 16th of January from one of the professors I referenced in my SOP for a brief interview. I just want to know if anybody had same experience,  though I'm an international applicant.

They might have changed things up, but I also haven't seen anything else about that on this site or on the reddit. The only thing I have seen for this year is about the peace studies and political science PhD

8 minutes ago, ugh08 said:

They might have changed things up, but I also haven't seen anything else about that on this site or on the reddit. The only thing I have seen for this year is about the peace studies and political science PhD

Yeah, I have seen rejection letters of Anthropology and Peace Studies (Political Science) applicants.

Just now, Maverickz said:

Yeah, I have seen rejection letters of Anthropology and Peace Studies (Political Science) applicants.

Yeah the Peace Studies programs are a totally different application than the specific Political Science one. Which one did you apply for? 

2 hours ago, Maverickz said:

Hi! I am also an international applicant for Political Sci/Comp Pol in Notre Dame. I have been in contact with a couple of professors before applying, but for now nothing such as a formal interview. I believe they haven't sent anything yet.