2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

This is my first PhD application cycle, so I wanted to ask this question. If you get accepted to a program, do you typically get:

1) an email from the graduate program that very clearly and directly tells you you’re accepted OR 2) or an email that merely says that an update is posted in your application portal, where it then tells you that you’re accepted? 

I’m just curious what kind of email to be expecting! 

20 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

This is my first PhD application cycle, so I wanted to ask this question. If you get accepted to a program, do you typically get:

1) an email from the graduate program that very clearly and directly tells you you’re accepted OR 2) or an email that merely says that an update is posted in your application portal, where it then tells you that you’re accepted? 

This is also my first cycle so the n is really small here...so far, both of the acceptances Ive got was an email from the DGS. That said, I think for some schools, it is just an email saying that an update is posted (at least based on the posts from last year's forum)

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

From a personal experience, it depends on the Department and/or the software they use for their applications. Some may send an email from the DGS or POI telling you the decisions; others might send automatic emails to inform you there was an update in the application portal (then you can see the decision as an update there), and others send you directly the contract for you to sign it, it really depends on the school preference and the software.

11 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

I’m hoping to hear back from Rice sometime this week! Someone said they got an interview invite from rice, but I’m pretty sure Rice doesn’t interview.

I got an interview invite from Vanderbilt last Wednesday and Vandy seems to release some acceptances about ~2 weeks after interviews. Hopeful for good news in near future.

Actually, several of my friends had interviews with faculty at Rice, so I guess the post seems real... 

Just now, Chimp Champ said:

Actually, several of my friends had interviews with faculty at Rice, so I guess the post seems real... 

hmm that’s interesting! I just hadn’t seen Rice do interviews in past cycles on grad cafe, so I didn’t think they did them. 

23 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I finally received a UC San Diego rejection. I thought I was a good fit, but apparently, I wasn't, so who knows. Congratulations to the admitted.

Just now, Cagmadhige said:

I am also expecting rejections from Vand and Georgetown. It seems they already sent their acceptances!

I haven’t received a decision for UC San Diego yet! I wonder what that means. 

also, Vandy and Georgetown have sent out interviews, but not decisions I think :)

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

I haven’t received a decision for UC San Diego yet! I wonder what that means. 

also, Vandy and Georgetown have sent out interviews, but not decisions I think :)

also haven't heard anything from ucsd. positively a waitlist...but it's possible that they haven't send out all rejections - seems like on results page, most rejections are int'l students... finger crossed 

2 minutes ago, Polisci24 said:

also haven't heard anything from ucsd. positively a waitlist...but it's possible that they haven't send out all rejections - seems like on results page, most rejections are int'l students... finger crossed 

Hopefully, it means a waitlist. I am an international applicant, but I haven't got my rejection yet as well.

1 hour ago, Cagmadhige said:

I am also expecting rejections from Vand and Georgetown. It seems they already sent their acceptances!

Georgetown sent out interview invites for this week so I don't think they'll send out their results quite yet.

4 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

My days currently consist of constantly checking my email, gradcafe, and Reddit. Can anyone else relate? 

Yes! I have no life outside of this atm.

Kinda late to the game, but claiming the early UCSD acceptance. Did anybody else's UCSD offer include details on funding? because mine didnt and I wondered whether anybody knows whether funding information will come through later?

10 minutes ago, club_mate said:

Kinda late to the game, but claiming the early UCSD acceptance. Did anybody else's UCSD offer include details on funding? because mine didnt and I wondered whether anybody knows whether funding information will come through later?

I was accepted and didn't receive any details on funding or even an email from the department itself. I don't know when they're going to send out funding information, though, but it has only been a few days, I guess.

Congrats guys! 

An update on Illinois - I emailed last week (don't ask me why I felt brave enough haha) and they just replied saying they expect to have 'all remaining decisions' out by the end of the week. 

That suggests to me that some acceptances have already been sent out, though hopefully not all (for my sake)