2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

9 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Michener gets significantly more $$ and doesn't have to teach, because they "want to focus on your writing." On the other hand, NWP gets teaching experience, which may be better if you're trying to get a job directly after.  People consider Michener much more prestigious, but I don't think you get any better of an education, basically are in almost all the same workshops as far as I can tell. There are one or two classes that only Michener can do.  But I got rejected from both, so what do I know.

getting accepted gives you exactly zero insight into these questions so no worries. Honestly, i'm on the NWP waitlist and vs Irvine the ONLY thing I can think of right now is reputation. If I were fortunate enough to get an offer, I'd have numbers to think about. That said, I'm about the work and I don't really see NWP giving me more support than Irvine, but that too might change with a phone call. 

Here's another thing I wonder about: Why would they not the Michener waitlist from NWP. I know it's logistically difficult but imagine establishing the Michener cohort and then the NWP. 

i dunno, i'm just listening to my daughter play the worst music ever and spitballing. 

we're going on a bear hunt

42 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

Those who have applied before and chosen to apply again- what made you decide to try again? I mean, this process is mentally and emotionally draining, and while I have several waitlists I am trying to start considering if I would give this another go around or not. Part of me thinks well duh it’s my dream of course I would try again, try more schools, update my writing sample. But another part of me says it wasn’t meant to be and no matter what I (and many others) just may not get in. This is all very defeating. But gosh I want it so bad.

You clearly want to do it again. You'll feel disappointed for a couple months and then you'll get excited and get your hopes up to try again. As long as you're committed to keeping on writing it'll work out I believe. As someone who got more or less rejected across the board twice and is now sitting on 3 acceptances from the top programs (and a couple more WLs) it does get better with time and perseverance. I had other cheerleaders in my life though, who kept me going. Seek that out, workshop with other people you trust (and maybe limit your exposure to forums like this!) Don't necessarily try to publish unless you really want, though, bc that can be a lot of rejection.

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

getting accepted gives you exactly zero insight into these questions so no worries. Honestly, i'm on the NWP waitlist and vs Irvine the ONLY thing I can think of right now is reputation. If I were fortunate enough to get an offer, I'd have numbers to think about. That said, I'm about the work and I don't really see NWP giving me more support than Irvine, but that too might change with a phone call. 

Here's another thing I wonder about: Why would they not the Michener waitlist from NWP. I know it's logistically difficult but imagine establishing the Michener cohort and then the NWP. 

i dunno, i'm just listening to my daughter play the worst music ever and spitballing. 

I didn’t apply to NWP or Irvine but I think Irvine is more prestigey fwiw. I would visit both (if you get into NWP) and make the call off gut. 

7 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I didn’t apply to NWP or Irvine but I think Irvine is more prestigey fwiw. I would visit both (if you get into NWP) and make the call off gut. 

"My guts... have shit for brains."

Iowa has definitely started making calls for poetry! One report on the Draft spreadsheet.

Edited by ssuunn

@jadedoptimist someone posted in Draft about getting a poetry acceptance from Iowa 😳

my stomach is in knots right now 😰 I was hoping I could at least have this weekend free from the anxiety. But Iowa has been my dream for years and all I have right now is one waitlist from Texas so the panic is exponentially increasing 😰😰😰

Is anyone else waiting on Boise at all? I've asked this already, but it's not as popular as some of the other schools so I don't know if there's anyone else in here who would post about fiction or even know about Gradcafe at all (besides one other person I've talked to on here). Last year I think people heard back in February, so I feel like I'm going crayz. The waiting is KILLING me, and I know at least I'm not alone in that, regardless of school!

3 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Is anyone else waiting on Boise at all? I've asked this already, but it's not as popular as some of the other schools so I don't know if there's anyone else in here who would post about fiction or even know about Gradcafe at all (besides one other person I've talked to on here). Last year I think people heard back in February, so I feel like I'm going crayz. The waiting is KILLING me, and I know at least I'm not alone in that, regardless of school!

Are you poetry or fiction? Draft has in the 2024 spreadsheet that people in poetry got interviews for Boise State University in Jan and got accepted/waitlisted first week of Feb. But no word on fiction if that’s what you are looking for. I’d imagine they would have released around the same time. If you are talking about Boise State, maybe reach out to them since so much time has passed.

3 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

Are you poetry or fiction? Draft has in the 2024 spreadsheet that people in poetry got interviews for Boise State University in Jan and got accepted/waitlisted first week of Feb. But no word on fiction if that’s what you are looking for. I’d imagine they would have released around the same time. If you are talking about Boise State, maybe reach out to them since so much time has passed.

It was fiction! I wanted to see if others had heard from fiction before I get too nervous lol. I was thinking about reaching out, I just don't know if that hurts my chances at all. Thank you for replying, and I hope you get a good call from Iowa today!

Just now, jadedoptimist said:

my brain is going boing boing

This is just the state I have been in post Iowa fiction calls starting to roll out. I feel like my heart just lives in my throat now

5 minutes ago, taliaj said:

It was fiction! I wanted to see if others had heard from fiction before I get too nervous lol. I was thinking about reaching out, I just don't know if that hurts my chances at all. Thank you for replying, and I hope you get a good call from Iowa today!

At this point for fiction I’d email them! It’s been a month pretty much since poetry decisions came out so they should be more than understanding.

6 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

This is just the state I have been in post Iowa fiction calls starting to roll out. I feel like my heart just lives in my throat now

lol yes. My heart has set up shop and installed carpet in my throat. Fr. 

3 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

At this point for fiction I’d email them! It’s been a month pretty much since poetry decisions came out so they should be more than understanding.

Thank you! I honestly have very low hopes but part of me is just clinging to this spark of "maybe" and I need closure lol. Once I find out one way or another I can get on with my life. It's the only program I applied to as I can't relocate at present. But what's meant to be will be!

15 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Thank you! I honestly have very low hopes but part of me is just clinging to this spark of "maybe" and I need closure lol. Once I find out one way or another I can get on with my life. It's the only program I applied to as I can't relocate at present. But what's meant to be will be!

I hope you hear back with good news! Wishing you the best right now. And worst case, you can always try again next year or look into low res programs 

Oh, don't let it kill you, baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you, baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your bleedin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go too far, don't let it get to you
Yeah, yeah (yeah, yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part

17 minutes ago, Scribe said:
Oh, don't let it kill you, baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you, baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your bleedin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go too far, don't let it get to you
Yeah, yeah (yeah, yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part

Fun fact: this is about the time Tom Petty was NOT performing/on stage

9 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I'm wondering the same. 

I hope not. I’m oscillating between not wanting to be rejected across the board and knowing I have another year before a chance of an A vs. wanting to just know the outcome for this year. And I’m traveling this week so if Iowa snail mails us rejections soon, I won’t get mine until after I’m back 😵‍💫

29 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I hope not. I’m oscillating between not wanting to be rejected across the board and knowing I have another year before a chance of an A vs. wanting to just know the outcome for this year. And I’m traveling this week so if Iowa snail mails us rejections soon, I won’t get mine until after I’m back 😵‍💫

If rejections go out, I'm sure you'll know. If your mail is being looked after, ask if your mail picker upper sees something from the cornfields. 

2 hours ago, saramsarang said:

So, now that Iowa has moved onto poetry, can the rest of us who have heard crickets cross it off our list for fiction?

It's either a rejection or, if you're really, really fortunate, a waitlist. Iowa emails/snail mails both. We'll know for sure later this month.